Autopsy Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate you can say whatever rubbish you like, im gonna call you out when you make poor calls. That’s the point of this board discussion. If you’re gonna claim something , be ready to back it up.
Take a breath, have another read of it. Maybe check out the follow up where I’ve noted it’s likely a bit of recency bias as well.

I want him to be great but the Gresh kick and his effort for it today is a better snapshot of his career to date than just about anything.

Hope we get him a sports psych and he can have an uninterrupted pre season, also don’t conflate me with those saying trade him, I’m not suggesting that for a second but he’s mentally very very fragile and at the minute just not up to being the big dick main man.

It's all about standards remember guys.

The standards now at the club are through the roof, don't get too caught up about only kicking one goal in the second half with a near full strength side.
actually I think the game plan needs some critical analysis, it's all good and well to put spare men behind the ball but surely when you are in front and showing some attacking confidence you back yourself in and keep doing what is getting you a bloody score.

One trick pony coaching. dead set lost by our coach and captain this week.

Do you disagree with the comment, or do you just not like it?
Do you think he’s mentally strong and playing like he wants to be the #1 forward?
Yes I do. I’ve noticed a change in the last 12-18 months where I think he wants to be the man and plays like he wants it. I’ve seen him do it before. Is he coming off a shoulder, yes. He’s played 8 games this year after a bad shoulder injury.

Apart from being an ordinary side, 2 things killed us.

1. King missing from 20m (As is his go to ) late in the 3rd.

2. Gresham not being able to kick over 40m to hit King out the back late in the 3rd.

So disappointing. We got slaughtered in the last qtr. Looked like they had an extras 2 or 3 on the ground. Every contest we were outnumbered,

Was it to be expected? Yes.

Just had Hope after the 1st half.

Number 2 killed our momentum once again.

He does it time and time again, and not enough importance is placed on it.

It’s Bizzare isn’t it that guys like King get targeted and not the midfield
Mate you can say whatever rubbish you like, im gonna call you out when you make poor calls. That’s the point of this board discussion. If you’re gonna claim something , be ready to back it up.
If the people criticising him could tell us how he is ment to impact with the putrid entry we give and congestion because opponents know its always coming in high and long helicopter style then we would start listening.

Hill should be dropped for one act alone.
Letting someone mark over you without putting body in is utterly insipid and an insult to your teammates and us.
Hill is one of the worst players I've ever seen. he can do something brilliant & follows it up with a series of game losing clangers. He does it consistently

Agreed. He's not fit plus anyone who doesn't understand the midfield is the problem has mango sized rocks in there head. Absolutely smacked in the middle second half. Dropped our heads and work rate dropped off to an abysmal level.
Needed our leaders to step up when we were getting torn a new one in there but they went missing. We are a very very soft side when it starts going against us.
The issues are known and its the midfield. Fans are upset that Steele and Crouch didn't perform in the last quarter, well who the heck else should have? Crouch is a second-string midfielder (which is fine) and Steele the only proper elite mid we have and everyone cries if he doesn't win us the game.

Tonight isn't on Steele and it isn't on Crouch. It's on a list management team who have spent a decade refusing to draft pure midfielders with high picks.

Every now and then we lose a top side like we did tonight and a bunch of water boys want to delist anyone of value like they're supposed to win the game off their own boot every ******* week.

If you want to trade King you're dumb as dogshit. Tired of pretending you're not.

I’m not gonna hang too much s**t on Max but I’m pretty convinced now that he’s a great athlete and just an average footballer.

Mentally pretty fragile, poor in the contest. Has all the physical tools but I’m yet to see any signs he actually wants to be the guy.
First game back from injury and he was thr best key forward on the ground.

I dont know what you expect from him but he wasn't the issue today, far from it.

Yes mids beaten but the forward line was deplorable. Bad games from Caminiti, Sharman, Pou, Butler.
They had their opportunities but blew them all. 1 goal in a half.
Our midfield group got absolutely slaughtered in the 2nd half.wouldn't matter if you you had ablett plugger and dunstall fwd .in the last qtr they couldn't get the ball passed the wing lol. And to top it off they kept kicking it long up the line time and time again expecting a different result.i think when rtb says they are a very coachable group.thats code for we have some of dumbest footballers in the league.

The standards now at the club are through the roof, don't get too caught up about only kicking one goal in the second half with a near full strength side.
Not the coaches fault they ****ed up going inside 50 so much, at least 5 times I thought guarantee goal coming up and they they butcher it, we need a clean out and get better ball uses

Good point with Billings. He isn’t a game winner but he’s level headed and not prone to killing momentum by trying to look flashy.

All of this!
Would rather Billings in Gresham's spot at present.
And can someone tell me why we continued to play 2 on Curnow when they had gotten out to a 2 goal lead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling to trade King is just crazy stuff. But he's not above criticism.

He really needs to work on his leading patterns. Everyone knows Gresh can't kick fullstop, let alone hit a target over 40m, so why didn't he lead up at the ball.

Has a tendency to demand the ball long instead of hitting up at the lead or getting up the ground. Doesn't need to be a maniac like Riewoldt but definitely needs to improve that part of his craft

Take a breath, have another read of it. Maybe check out the follow up where I’ve noted it’s likely a bit of recency bias as well.

I want him to be great but the Gresh kick and his effort for it today is a better snapshot of his career to date than just about anything.

Hope we get him a sports psych and he can have an uninterrupted pre season, also don’t conflate me with those saying trade him, I’m not suggesting that for a second but he’s mentally very very fragile and at the minute just not up to being the big dick main man.
Mate I’m calm I’m not the one who write silly comment. Mate stop accusing people of being ‘mentally fragile’ there’s literally no basis to determine that.

Oh get off it we can still make finals, it’s the same thing: we aren’t making the right choices forward of 50.

We lost that game, 1 goal in the second. Don’t think it takes a whole lot to change that for the better though. Easier said than done so it would seem.

The meaningful work will be done this off season and next, but not ECO for this season until it’s mathematically impossible.

Calling to trade King is just crazy stuff. But he's not above criticism.

He really needs to work on his leading patterns. Everyone knows Gresh can't kick fullstop, let alone hit a target over 40m, so why didn't he lead up at the ball.

Has a tendency to demand the ball long instead of hitting up at the lead or getting up the ground. Doesn't need to be a maniac like Riewoldt but definitely needs to improve that part of his craft
I don’t think people are suggesting he shouldn’t improve his running and leading. Seriously though this stuff about being mentally fragile. Cmon

Yes I do. I’ve noticed a change in the last 12-18 months where I think he wants to be the man and plays like he wants it. I’ve seen him do it before. Is he coming off a shoulder, yes. He’s played 8 games this year after a bad shoulder injury.
Fair enough. I see him drop his bottom lip when he doesn’t get a ball over the top (instead of leading up at it) and miss a simple set shot that changes the momentum of the game.

He’s absolutely capable, don’t misunderstand what I’m saying, if anything that’s the more frustrating bit, he’s nearly there but I’m not sure if he’ll bridge the gap.

Crouch is a second-string midfielder (which is fine) and Steele the only proper elite mid we have
No and no
Crouch is prob top 4 BNF
Steele is not elite and has been no where near is this year
Tonight isn't on Steele
Lol
5 disposals in a second half with zero touches in the last quarter
16 centre bounce attendances with one clearance

It's not on him?
The team leader?

Mate I’m calm I’m not the one who write silly comment. Mate stop accusing people of being ‘mentally fragile’ there’s literally no basis to determine that.
You don’t think cracking the shits and missing easy shots is an indication of mental fragility?

Thanks for reminding us. I don't care about wins and losses if the standards are amazing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back