Preview Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 6th August, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Blues

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jade Gresham’s performance will go a long way towards dictating this game. I think we match up well with the Blues, it’ll be how we execute with ball in hand.

If Gresham plays the lazy, selfish football we have seen maybe 3/4 of the time this year, he will cost us not just going forward, but by causing the breakdown of our defensive systems by letting a half back get loose, causing Chinese checkers all the way down the ground. Saad, Docherty etc are just too good to let off the chain.

If he works harder defensively and shows that intent then we go a long way to beating them.

Jade Gresham’s performance will go a long way towards dictating this game. I think we match up well with the Blues, it’ll be how we execute with ball in hand.

If Gresham plays the lazy, selfish football we have seen maybe 3/4 of the time this year, he will cost us not just going forward, but by causing the breakdown of our defensive systems by letting a half back get loose, causing Chinese checkers all the way down the ground. Saad, Docherty etc are just too good to let off the chain.

If he works harder defensively and shows that intent then we go a long way to beating them.

The thought of him having two of our players open inside 50 and him kicking it straight to the opposition gives me a rash.

We really should be winning this game when you look at Carltons injury list.

They are flying though and we have been just hanging on for 3 months.

Hopefully the Hawks game gives us the jolt we needed. It's the strongest side we've had in all year.
On form Carlton are deserved favourites, particularly having knocked off the top 2 teams in recent weeks.

Their outs will hurt them but they are also playing like a different team than when we played them earlier in the year.

Their pressure is immense, their defence has improved, they move the ball fast and their inside 50s are to much better positions than earlier in the season. It helps that they also have a rampaging Curnow kicking goals for fun (albeit with a bit of help from the umpires).

We will only win if we can play the game on our terms, because if we try and match them at their own game they will beat us.

Really hope we don't just resort to bombing it to a not 100% King because we'll really get hit on the turnover.

Either way, this game will show us what both teams are made of!

Match of the round and our biggest game of the season. Pretty bloody nervous, but also pretty confident we're gonna bring the heat! Hope we have the resolve to play bold attacking footy and not go into our shells or slip into bad habits. Golden opportunity here to build some serious momentum and belief!
And NO early injuries! Ideally no injuries at all.

Geez....has far more value in my eyes than Patto for example. Hope he isn't delisted. I see plenty of upside in him...
Paton had a season where he was shutting down the Toby Greenes and Papleys of the world. Webster was getting a bath from Bruest and Ross didn’t put Stocker on him because he knows he’s not capable so I’m not really sure of what Stocker is capable of doing if he’s going to be a backman.

if you watch the replay you will see the moment Stocker gets himself dropped from the side this week, you see Ross in the box nearly bite a chunk out of the wall behind him after a Stocker clanger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Gresham is motivated to impress his new employer and pulls his finger out to add a couple or 0’s on to his new contract come the end of the year.

unfortunately I fear his new coach has told him to be cautious and stay uninjured so he can hit the pre season hard, similar to the advice Bradd Scottt is giving Billings.

A massive game for Steely, he will be the barometer.

Move the ball forward quickly at all costs, if you kick or handball the ball backwards you should be sent to the bench for a small electric shock to the head.

Ross dropped Dal Santo back in 2009 who like Billings was a talented but soft left footer, Dal bounced back with a harder edge, hopefully Billings can.

It took a long time for that to occur.

No where near true , from 2016 - 2021 he played plenty of games

The last 3 years have pretty much been a write off for JB (2021 he played most the year at half rat power due to a foot issue from memory)

Prior to that had 4 great season’s averaging mid 20’s disposals (2020 was just under 20 with the shortened games).

Easy to bag the bloke but he’s another who’s got the ability but whose body has let him down… its a real pity as JB was one of the players I was most excited about seeing what he could do under a decent coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last 3 years have pretty much been a write off for JB (2021 he played most the year at half rat power due to a foot issue from memory)

Prior to that had 4 great season’s averaging mid 20’s disposals (2020 was just under 20 with the shortened games).

Easy to bag the bloke but he’s another who’s got the ability but whose body has let him down… its a real pity as JB was one of the players I was most excited about seeing what he could do under a decent coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who is bagging him , just stated that the guy has plenty of time to improve and never went that next step , he had plenty of time before the last year or so of injuries , he had one great season in 2019 and apart from that has just been a GOP

IF... we're good enough to beat Carlton tomorrow.

THEN... surely we can get over either Richmond or the Cats the week after. Richmond still technically a shot at finals but very likely to come up short on 46 points. If we come out hard Q1 next week then surely their mind starts wandering to the Bintangs, sunshine and reminiscing on 3 x flags. Geelong's season probably will actually be over when we get them (I think they lose the next two).

If you read this forum closely every goal we've conceded since 1974 can be traced back to either Gresham or Howard.
"Gresham was nothing more than a glint in the milkmans eye when we lost that game in 83 because of Spud missing an ear massage"

IF... we're good enough to beat Carlton tomorrow.

THEN... surely we can get over either Richmond or the Cats the week after. Richmond still technically a shot at finals but very likely to come up short on 46 points. If we come out hard Q1 next week then surely their mind starts wandering to the Bintangs, sunshine and reminiscing on 3 x flags. Geelong's season probably will actually be over when we get them (I think they lose the next two).
Richmond we should be able to beat.

Should and will are two different things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back