Review Round 21, 2023 - Fremantle vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Fremantle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a few observations.

Zorks did damage today after looking like he was totally cooked last week. The key now is to find a role where he stays fresh and off the radar of the opposition.

Have to agree with 3KZ Lester was fantastic ,always tried to do the most sensible thing . Likewise backing up anyone else under pressure to the hilt. He's a vastly improved player. He took some risks and rarely mucked up .

Fort was fine in the ruck but our mids weren't in the hunt when it hit the deck. Jackson was too mobile for them for starters. Hopefully the penny dropped today that we need another mid in there . Dev looked good when he came on and only had 5 minutes to make a difference and he did.

Rayner brought it in moments that counted so that was great to see. Berry likewise . He's an enigma . Don't ask me but when he plays like that he's a gun.

We deserved the win but could easily have lost. That Melbourne game will end up proving costly. We're still nowhere near what we can do ,a few players are looking tired but that's the same for all the teams that have fought their way to the top of the ladder this year.

Managed to avoid any spoilers and watch it on delay about a quarter or half behind the clock! Pretty gutsy win away against a team throwing it all on the line and their fast pace is a style that troubles us normally.

I loved seeing our wings and forward flankers get so much more involved. Berry, Rayner, Linc and Ah Chee were all very impressive. When checking the stats I was shocked how little Ah Chee had the ball for how much I felt he influenced the game. Cal was throwing that body in every where. Loved seeing Rayner getting those marks up the ground and driving it forward.

Daniher was vital in that second ruck role. Desperation tackles to save the game in those last 5 minutes. Fort showed us that we need Oscar back. Fort wasn't bad but Oscar is the bigger influence. Hopefully his hammy was just cramping and both are fit for finals. Jackson was probably BOG for me. We are struggling against the best rucks

The midfield is still concerning. With Neale and Dunkley well held it really showed we are short a mid. Bailey and Zorko weren't bad but they are more burst players off the flank. A pure mid is needed.

So very frustrating to sit on the sub till 5 mins to go and then throw Dev straight to the wing. Poor coaching decision with the sub. Bizarre when struggling in the middle to not throw Dev straight in there. Devs desperation on the wing and flank was instantly on show. Could use a lot more of that.

Altogether happy with the win away. Did what we had to. Still have some concerns and can just dream that we try and fix them soon

Watch it again. Payne was in his road in the end. Lester was closing to try and make the contest. Only superman could have made the contest and spoiled over the top. Payne had the bigger body and he needed to do more.

Lester could’ve also, I don’t know, walked 1m to the right and come from a different angle to spoil it without having to even jump.

Thought he played well for the record, but come on man

And what if I do?
I admire your faith in the man but there was not one player in that game who couldn’t have done something better, whether it was something they did or didn’t do? All could have done better on occasions. Including Lester.
Lester was clearly our best defender. Look at the stats, look at his defensive contribution, look at the fact that he didn’t concede goals through poor play. It’s actually not a controversial proposition. Sure, everyone has moments where they might have done better, but it is fairly clear that Lester had the lowest number of those in our backline today.

Lester could’ve also, I don’t know, walked 1m to the right and come from a different angle to spoil it without having to even jump.

Thought he played well for the record, but come on man
Just confirms my argument. If that is the only criticism of his game, when others in defence directly coughed up or cost us goals through poor skills, then he was in fact out best defensive player.

Watch it again. Payne was in his road in the end. Lester was closing to try and make the contest. Only superman could have made the contest and spoiled over the top. Payne had the bigger body and he needed to do more.
Payne could not have done anything other than what he was doing IMO, he was in a wrestle, he shouldn't be having to worry about a teammates positioning.

Froggy got that one wrong, he is not infallible 3KZ.

Payne could not have done anything other than what he was doing IMO, he was in a wrestle, he shouldn't be having to worry about a teammates positioning.

Froggy got that one wrong, he is not infallible 3KZ.
But he can walk on water.

Just confirms my argument. If that is the only criticism of his game, when others in defence directly coughed up or cost us goals through poor skills, then he was in fact out best defensive player.
I think people are putting up examples because you seem so insistent that Froggy is the perfect player and incapable of making mistakes.

FWIW IMO he was great today.

Last edited:
When there are 80 jumper holds in a game why do the umps just pick out one or two.

If you hold someone's jumper in a marking contest that's a free kick is it not ?

In the Froggy and Payne one whoever it was had both hands holding Payne's jumper until he stuck his claw out at the last moment.

Froggy's a lock imo. He's proven it over many weeks.

I never thought I'd be saying that.
Lester is playing out of his skin. He is our BACKLINE GENERAL. He plays high IQ football and the percentages he plays are always the best options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are putting up examples because you seem so insistent the Froggy is the perfect player and incapable of making mistakes.

FWIW IMO he was great today.
OK - I might have said he can walk on water, I concede that, but read back through my posts. All I have said was that he was fantastic today. I say again, not a controversial proposition.

Fage's presser >

Happy how we played out the last few minutes.
Neale/Dunkley really good last quarter.
Singled out Dev as being great in the last 5 minutes.
We didn't play great but we found a way to win, we dug deep.
Rayner stood up today, he was dynamic, he has been down for a couple of weeks.
Linc was great with his pressure.
They are flying back tomorrow not on the redeye tonight.
He thinks O and Kiddy will be available next week.

Yeah. But I don't understand the argument.

Lester was great tonight. His number one fan is super excited.

he's not going to back down on his fan-ness so you are just picking a fight.

Can put him on ignore for a day or two until this all settles and we can move on to next game.

Daniher did something clever in the last 2 center bounces which I haven't seen him do before. While he was happy to half concede the ruck contest he tackled Serong like a monster and stopped him from breaking clear. Those 2 tackles and center bounce follow ups saved our arse, well done Joe !!

Fage's presser >

Happy how we played out the last few minutes.
Neale/Dunkley really good last quarter.
Singled out Dev as being great in the last 5 minutes.
We didn't play great but we found a way to win, we dug deep.
Rayner stood up today, he was dynamic, he has been down for a couple of weeks.
Linc was great with his pressure.
They are flying back tomorrow not on the redeye tonight.
He thinks O and Kiddy will be available next week.

RE Dev - at home with family and friends.

Out of contact player.

Didn't want the fresh legs till five minutes to go.

Dev will be hanging around WA for a few days with opportunity for other other teams to chat to him.

Had to do something. Talking up five minutes of play is very little, but I guess it was something. Maybe.

Back