Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

I swear every trade request out of Fremantle results in Peter Bell being furious in the media lol. Henry the next one.
I mean
The thought of Smith leaving put this thread into meltdown

This is why if Murphy or O'Sullivan land on our laps, we have to take one.

The market value of defenders is sky high, and that is just for mid tier massively overrated types. If you want a defender without giving up the farm, draft and develop your own. At worst (assuming they make it at AFL level), he might get traded out and you get decent picks for them. At best you could land yourself a good best 22 defender.

Ignore the draft and you desperately need a defender? Face having to over pay or be stuck with only fringe players on the market.

Crazy to think that we got JOD this year for free. From what I've seen he's going to be an A grade key back.

Really want to package the picks and get up to 4. An A grade talent plus croft developing would be a nice draft
Yeah that’s the way I’m leaning too, just can’t turn away from top end talent IMO and there’s some great top end talent in this draft, get the freebie in Croft too.

I know we need quantity too in our bottom end and to refresh the list but that can be found elsewhere too with so many avenues to find players and turn over the list these days.

Top 5 picks are gold, when you have that opportunity you don’t turn it down for multiple lesser players. More and more in the modern game the only way you get genuine stars is top end picks.

Top 5 pick, Croft, bring forward a 2nd rounder for Lual and then some late picks/new rookies and that’s the perfect off season.

Enough young talent out of the side currently in Darcy, Bedendo, Gallagher, Clarke, Buss, Cleary etc coming through next year to push the fringes of the AFL side

I think we have a miss with Clarke.
He’s literally in his first year lol. Kicked 2 (so far) in his first ever VFL final, and there was a passage towards the end of the 3rd quarter where he took possession, stepped around a few players in congestion and executed a difficult kick to a team mate to retain possession. I don’t get why anyone would be concerned with him tbh

He’s literally in his first year lol. Kicked 2 (so far) in his first ever VFL final, and there was a passage towards the end of the 3rd quarter where he took possession, stepped around a few players in congestion and executed a difficult kick to a team mate to retain possession. I don’t get why anyone would be concerned with him tbh
It was a joke about his awful miss earlier on.

Not to mention no preseason due to injury.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear every trade request out of Fremantle results in Peter Bell being furious in the media lol. Henry the next one.
At some point with the sheer number of requests you need to take a good hard look at how you ate running things you would think.

Must be a cultural problem somewhere along the line

I think we have a miss with Clarke.

We're quick to judge these days...

Beginning his career with the Hawthorn Football Club in 1975, DiPierdomenico started playing 99 reserve-grade games as he flitted between first grade team and reserves football. He kick-started his career in 1978, culminating in a best-on-ground performance in the 1978 VFL Grand Final.

The kid is 19. Let's give him a bit of time.

Also, he's a spitting image of the kid from We're the Millers.

IMG_9712.jpeg IMG_9713.jpeg

We're quick to judge these days...

Beginning his career with the Hawthorn Football Club in 1975, DiPierdomenico started playing 99 reserve-grade games as he flitted between first grade team and reserves football. He kick-started his career in 1978, culminating in a best-on-ground performance in the 1978 VFL Grand Final.

The kid is 19. Let's give him a bit of time.

Also, he's a spitting image of the kid from We're the Millers.

View attachment 1792394View attachment 1792395

Clarke looks pretty pubescent. Bit more muscle and he'll be right.

Charlie Clarke reminds me of Tom Papley.

Charlie Clarke reminds me of Tom Papley.

If he can get to this level our forward line is going to be elite.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Our list is mostly very good - as in previous posts the most important posts for me a solid assistants to Bevo.

I am not for huge changes but something like this

Pick 10
Pick 17
Croft
Late picks on Hore or Nour/ roughy ruckman and Sullivan

Trade in a Duryea replacement as a priority- there were a few last year available - favourite is Duggan - he is a very good player who can come here and get a new start.

If we can get a small forward like Billings or a KPD like Clurey (Elite 1.1) Tomlinson flexible and plays ahead of Gardiner.

I would also take Dougal Howard. I know he has gone off the ball but he was very good and is prime time. I am give Jones fan but don’t think we will get the whole year out of a player his age and fearlessness. I would re-sign Chief/Keath because his age is still not that bad and hopefully he can watch wizard of oz a thousand times and get his courage back or maybe Creed II?

Mostly I want is to be bold this year - attacking as a team who will play finals for the next five with one or two adds - go for a top player rather than always been the target of others going after people like Smith, English and Naughton.

Was most after Jake Riccardi but understand he resigned - with Cadman coming through I reckon he should move now but too late - reckon he could a very good FB.

May also have a look at players with talent who are just not performing like James Stewart for free - don’t expect much but Essendope would be a shit place to be and he went their with talent that went….****.

Let’s say we trade in two.

We will likely lose Crozier and Sweet and Probably Williams - do we get compo for the last two?

So to

Delist:

Bruce
Hannan
McComb
TOB
McNeil (I don’t hate him but think we have seen enough and García and Arty both past him and expect Clarke will too). Just can’t see him play.

Roarke (I think he would be playing wing for us if fit - his best has been shown on big games to be above Baker, Poulter etc but he can not stay fit). If they keep him hopefully it is on the back of a good preseason fully fit - if he can’t do that then maybe a mistake.

That’s enough delists with trade outs/ins

Keep McLean - showed he still has something to offer and in VFL he has shown he is gaining fitness and edge as an inside mid. If he can bring even more inside bite and tackling he will play next year - maybe not all season.

Two first rounders and/or Croft will be good - there is good talent for first 25.

Without doing anything new hopefully the preseason will see:

• Cleary come on
  • Busslinger put on size - he is tracking perfectly
  • Bedendo fit and be our JOD for 2023
  • Harvey G push Duryea or mid
  • West to play mid/forward
  • García to play forward/mid
  • Darcy fit - will be his year to come on to make us much stronger
  • Smith back on track
  • Naughton to get fit : he was good in parts but well below his standard haul for the year
  • Artie to come through
  • JJ fit
  • Chief getting back his mojo/heart

If these happen we are a formidable outfit.

Lohmann in a bad way, went down clutching his knee. Looks like he's trying to test it on the boundary but he did not look good.

edit: he's back out there again but it really did not look good at the time,

Last edited:
Wouldn't really be interested in any of the Lions depth based on today's game, Gold Coast VFL looks very strong and it baffles the mind that they can't put it together at AFL level while being the dominant team in the VFL.

Last 6 weeks been exceptional after no pre season. Shown some great traits what I have seen. Second for score assist and high in score involvements. Hardest position on the ground with no pre season. Hopefully has a massive pre season stays healthy and he will be playing AFL early next year. I know our captain and Libba are big fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back