Review Dees v Carrrrrrlton: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
  • May pulling down the pants of Curnow yet again.
  • Joel Smith looking our most dangerous forward.
  • Defensively very strong and we never gave up.
  • Finals experience playing in front of 2 x 95k crowds.
  • I thought Sparrow played well, despite the last smother.
  • Having a great draft hand to replenish some of the list.

Bad:
  • The Petty injury. Our best forward and can actually kick straight.
  • Losing to a worse team who relied on our misses to escape through to the prelims.
  • Langdon's form. Stop slipping over you absolute goose. Also the aim of the game is to keep the ball in play and not kick the ball out on the full.
  • There was some umpiring decisions I didn't like tonight. They were a factor.
  • Viney's lack of right foot cost us.

Ugly:
  • 17 damn behinds. Enough said.
  • Gawn, you must do better around goals. Just must. Squandered so many captains goals.
  • Tom McDonald. Thanks for your services.
  • Once again, 17 damn behinds. 17. 17.
  • A Brisbane vs Coll GF is going to be boring as hell. Brisbane dont play at the mcg.

Played the better footy for second straight week and just couldnt convert properly. At least Brayshaw will get a good rest and people like Petty and Roo will be back at it. Definitely not the end of the Dees' window

Pretty much the perfect encapsulation of our season in 1 game. Shambolic in so many ways: selection, game style (was marginally better particularly early), kicking for goal, horror individual moments.

Yet all we needed was to kill the clock for a minute and a half or 1 player to nail their chances late and we're through.

May was enormous, others were good, hard to take much out of such an epic waste of a season though.

marge simpson GIF

Who could have foreseen that playing the ghost Tom McDonald was a bad idea?

next time a really important player gets a head knock all teams should refuse to take them off and call it the crippscheatering precedent. Absolutely disgusting that the Afl still leave it to team doctors at not neutral officials to demand the players are taken off. You were robbed by the afl and those whose team motto is "cheat tank bribe". I hope they get ripped a new one nextweek.

May has every right to punch whoever he wants this off-season. He'd be absolutely filthy with some of the blokes up the ground. He deserved better.

Sad thing is, no one on this board is shocked by a straight sets exit yet again. We've made so many mistakes last two seasons across the board that its actually a miracle we landed top 4 end of H&A both years.

That midfield and forwardline need so many changes in personel and game plan, that it's hard seeing us genuinely competing for a flag again with this list. We needed to make a coaching change, yet we just signed this muppet up for 2 more years. And we have Tmac and Brown clogging up this list for 1 more year! Haha. 1 covid cup that no one could go watch, from.this supposedly generational list, is not good enough. Us supporters deserved better

Good

At least there can be no denying it’s the forward line that needs the personnel and tactical work over the off season.

Bad

As much as I love them, Pickett and Oliver had some moments of ill discipline and boneheaded stupidity that cost frees including a reversal and 50 penalties.

Ugly

The 20% or so of the Carlton fan base who are A grade knuckle draggers. What an embarrassment. Bringing all the worst elements of soccer fans to the AFL 🌈

May has every right to punch whoever he wants this off-season. He'd be absolutely filthy with some of the blokes up the ground. He deserved better.

Sad thing is, no one on this board is shocked by a straight sets exit yet again. We've made so many mistakes last two seasons across the board that its actually a miracle we landed top 4 end of H&A both years.

That midfield and forwardline need so many changes in personel and game plan, that it's hard seeing us genuinely competing for a flag again with this list. We needed to make a coaching change, yet we just signed this muppet up for 2 more years. And we have Tmac and Brown clogging up this list for 1 more year! Haha. 1 covid cup that no one could go watch, from.this supposedly generational list, is not good enough. Us supporters deserved better
Just pay out TMac and Browns contract. It's embarassing for TMac now.

I agree regarding May. He destroyed Curnow. Every player can start their pre-season tomorrow as far as i'm concerned.

It all started when all the players went soft at Maynard with the Brayshaw hit. It should've been an all-in. But we stood there like a bunch of pretenders with no ruthless edge to us. So soft.

Honestly lost sleep last night just couldn't stop thinking about the **** ups in the game. My main gripe ATM was gawns miss from 20 metres out in front of goal. As soon as he started to veer to the right you knew he was going to hook the ball left. It's diabolical that he still does it, he's been doing it for a very long time, 2016 was the first time I noticed when he kicked after the siren, result didn't matter. How ****ing hard is it to run straight at the goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly lost sleep last night just couldn't stop thinking about the * ups in the game. My main gripe ATM was gawns miss from 20 metres out in front of goal. As soon as he started to veer to the right you knew he was going to hook the ball left. It's diabolical that he still does it, he's been doing it for a very long time, 2016 was the first time I noticed when he kicked after the siren, result didn't matter. How ******* hard is it to run straight at the goal

Gawn should just kick them off one step in those situations like he's executing a pass. Why is he even bothering with a run up.

Who could have foreseen that playing the ghost Tom McDonald was a bad idea?

At least we had a like-for-like replacement as sub ready to go if T Mac struggled to get involved.

Right?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At least we had a like-for-like replacement as sub ready to go if T Mac struggled to get involved.

Right?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It was the obvious move at 3Q time. Cooked non contributor TMac off, fresh likely non-contributor Schache on. At least Schache could’ve covered ground better.

Gawn should just kick them off one step in those situations like he's executing a pass. Why is he even bothering with a run up.
Outstanding by the coaches and list management to see his true potential as a forward and set fire to $650k of salary cap with the acquisition of Grundy.

did anybody else laugh
I did. As soon as Viney kicked it down the throat of the Carlton player, I turned to my mrs and said "yep, that's the game, we're out". She, of course, didn't believe me. I just laughed and said, "just watch, I guarantee you we will lose this".

On the subject, does anybody else have a significant other who refuses to accept your pessimism about Melbourne? It gets very tiring hearing people who insist on being positive and have a crack at you for being negative. You tell them, "This is Melbourne we're talking about - I've watched them all my life. This is something I know from bitter experience". In a way, it was oddly satisfying to see us screw it up so I had the last word...

I can only think they didn’t trust Schache to compete against Weitering, but if that’s the case he was a horrible sub selection in the first place.
Smith was on him all game anyway.

Thought Joel did really well

All I honesty wanted from the club this finals series was to not embarrass itself. Forget the premiership that was never going to happen obviously

Just don't embarrass yourselves

But they keep finding new ways

Seriously, don't bother - you'd be wasting your time. Better to move on and forget footy for 6 months - or at least forget Melbourne for 6 months.

This club managed to absolutely kill your love for the game and make you wonder if the premiership, when they do come once every 50 years are even worth

The finish to this year along with 2017, 2018 and 2022 are honestly the worst finishes to any season I've witnessed as a supporter - all under Goodwin's tenure and so predictable each time.

Take out 2021 and what you have is a pattern of unmitigated failure and disappointment. The 2021 GF we got lucky against a team that's delivered much of the same, apart from their own flash the pan flag.

There were times during the match when I wondered if the coaches instructions just go in one ear and straight out the other ear . At least 4 times no one to compete at a ball up or boundary throw in . Dumb 50’s coughed up , missing shots that professional footballers should nail , turnovers instead of killing the contest. I really want T-Mac to retire, Brown as well , their best seems a long time ago now . To be in front with minutes to go and still lose should haunt this club all summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back