Review Dees v West Horsham - Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:

Another game where we lose the inside 50s but our defence holds up really well.

Maysie heroic with the stuffed ribs. Backing back into packs and leaving yourself open to a forward running through you in the first quarter (and taking the mark) was good stuff.

Lever back to his best - just backing himself to read the footy better than the forward and intercepting or killing the contest.

Tmac playing well. If he can keep this up he probably deserves another contract.

McVee and Howes just going about their business. They look very similar on the field. Hope we give McVee some more license to attack off half back as he's really dynamic with ball in hand. Howes also doesn't waste a possession and has been good defensively.

Trac was probably our best. He's starting to fumble less and boy he looks good when he wins the footy in close, gets it to the outside in space so easily.

Sparrow had some nice moments playing on ball.

Fritsch is such a weapon. Can do nothing for 3 quarters then kick 3 in like 15 minutes.

Bad:

Our finishing and lack of run in the last. Understandable given the 5 day break and 2nd game at AO, but a better team would have run over us in the last.

Tall forward set up. Looked too tall on paper and played too tall in game. Even with Chandler and Kozz laying 7 tackles each. BBB probably on chopping block

Billings. Missed tackles at crucial times and 3 gettable misses.

Thought the game was simultaneously over-umpired generally and under-umpired for holding the footy. Some frustrating calls in there.

Ugly:

Crows going 0-4. Yikes

Good:

Another game where we lose the inside 50s but our defence holds up really well.

Maysie heroic with the stuffed ribs. Backing back into packs and leaving yourself open to a forward running through you in the first quarter (and taking the mark) was good stuff.

Lever back to his best - just backing himself to read the footy better than the forward and intercepting or killing the contest.

Tmac playing well. If he can keep this up he probably deserves another contract.

McVee and Howes just going about their business. They look very similar on the field. Hope we give McVee some more license to attack off half back as he's really dynamic with ball in hand. Howes also doesn't waste a possession and has been good defensively.

Trac was probably our best. He's starting to fumble less and boy he looks good when he wins the footy in close, gets it to the outside in space so easily.

Sparrow had some nice moments playing on ball.

Fritsch is such a weapon. Can do nothing for 3 quarters then kick 3 in like 15 minutes.

Bad:

Our finishing and lack of run in the last. Understandable given the 5 day break and 2nd game at AO, but a better team would have run over us in the last.

Tall forward set up. Looked too tall on paper and played too tall in game. Even with Chandler and Kozz laying 7 tackles each. BBB probably on chopping block

Billings. Missed tackles at crucial times and 3 gettable misses.

Thought the game was simultaneously over-umpired generally and under-umpired for holding the footy. Some frustrating calls in there.

Ugly:

Crows going 0-4. Yikes
Agree with most of this but thought Howes had a pretty shocking night, very slow and indecisive on occasions, fumbly.. First bad game so not contemplating dropping him.

Agree with most of this but thought Howes had a pretty shocking night, very slow and indecisive on occasions, fumbly.. First bad game so not contemplating dropping him.
Yeah he did get caught a few times didn't he, I thought one of them was pretty stiff though.

Took a clutch grab in the last when the Crows were out and he left his man to intercept (which stuck in my mind) and thought he had some tidy touches. Definitely not his best game but played his role in a strong defensive unit. I like his versatility and his composure.

I love Kade Chandler's set shot.

Having a little guy like him put on heaps of pressure but also be pretty good over-head and can kick a set shot from 50 is a weapon.

I forgot this game was on and only remembered at midnight when I was pretty hammered. Main points of interest were watching Windsor do the snippets of superstar future stuff and imaging him as Hunt and playing the how hilariously late will we sub out Brown game. Pretty much got that one right guessing halfway through the last.

Forward line obviously needs to be one tall less, will be nice when someone figures that out, JVR is suffering for lack of space but I did think some of his ruck work was top notch.

Good: I thought it was all pretty good, considering the 5 day break, Petty missed easy goals (2 or 3), Billings missed some easy ones and BBB missed a straight forward shot. All that means is if we kicked straight it would have been a big win.

Bad: The Crow's attack on the footy was equal to ours for much of the game. Our running out of legs.

Ugly: Number 22 for the umpires.

Question: Did the Crows have a plan to stifle ANB? Because it worked.

AND

If the AFL's new bumping rules get up you nose, Pickett.

Someone had to say it.

Good: McVee, Chandler, Sparrow. May was surprising too, very impactful, I was anticipating he would have a quiet game.

Bad: Watching JVR, Brown, Petty and Fritsch appeal for free kicks every time the ball is in their vicinity is getting insufferable. Is this being coached into them by Stafford? The worst example was JVR dropping a chest mark, then tripping over his own feet and appealing for the free kick; gtfoh, you don't get a do-over for a bad play.

JVR still in bad form. He needs a spell in the VFL, let him have a few dominant games to get his confidence up.

Need to watch more tape but Windsor needs to work on his disposal. He seems completely allergic to kicking or handballing on his left side, but I am not sure if it was coincidental or deliberate. When he couldn't wheel around to his right side he ended up throwing the ball over his head and was lucky to not be pinged for incorrect disposal. I hope this is something that is being worked, it will make him a much more effective player. Need to stamp out bad habits early before it becomes his dna.

The side capitulating and letting the Crows go on a run once BBB was subbed off. He is our talisman. Our victory cigar.

Fugly: Kozzy sniping again. He doesn't learn, and you would you think he would have gained more awareness of the devastating impacts on other player's careers following the Brayshaw/Maynard incident. He won't change, he is a grub.
You really are a bizarre poster

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GOOD
Not sure anyone here expected at the start of the season to walk away with 8pts from this Adelaide trip. That's a huge week for us.

Winning both games not playing our best footy and our stars not dominating(Trac played well this week)

McVee showing us why we rated him so highly last year. One of his best games for the club. Big test on Cameron next week.

Trac. He's a god. My fave player in the comp. We just haven't seen a player in the red and blue like him.

May. Beast. Actually our whole backline had a massive week in Adelaide.

Tmac. He's been super solid down back. Waiting for it to all fall apart, but he's holding his own very nicely which allows Petty to play forward.

Sparrow smother. More of this please.

BAD
Our F50. Winning is covering up how bad our forwardline is functioning. It's a dogs breakfast and will get found out against the better teams when they can kick a decent score. Brown/JVR/Petty isn't working.

Billings in front of goal. Been an issue his whole career. I hope it doesn't bite us in the a** when it really matters.

UGLY
Kozzy getting suspended for that! Ridiculous. Surely it's low impact. Doubt we contest because we have no balls, but that should be a fine at worst.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back