Review Dees v the Western Bulldogs & the Ghost of Scragger – the Good, Bady & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

This is so you.
It's happening in multiple sports. Everyone complains about the refs, so all these sporting bodies have brought in slow technology, then people complain about it taking too long.

A goal umpire awarding a point instead of a mark 3 minutes into the second quarter has no bearing on the game at all. It's less enjoyable. Var in soccer is boring as *, ball tracking in cricket lbws ruins every one.

People think they can make the games perfectly reffed.

I was watching the Kayo replay and Huddo or Jordan or someone pretty much said exactly that.

Current policy is making the goal umpires look silly
It just seems obvious, but the AFL are one of the most reactionary organisations to ever exist and their entire mantra is to look like they are doing something when s**t likes this comes up.

If we get that many reviews on Thursday or Friday night watch the media go crazy and the AFL respond by going back to never reviewing anything ever again.

It's happening in multiple sports. Everyone complains about the refs, so all these sporting bodies have brought in slow technology, then people complain about it taking too long.

A goal umpire awarding a point instead of a mark 3 minutes into the second quarter has no bearing on the game at all. It's less enjoyable. Var in soccer is boring as *, ball tracking in cricket lbws ruins every one.

I'd honestly be fine with no reviews until they've got a system that can do it quickly and accurately every time but that aint going to happen. We'll see how they go with the chip in the ball. They're really promising the world with that thing.

I'd honestly be fine with no reviews until they've got a system that can do it quickly and accurately every time but that aint going to happen. We'll see how they go with the chip in the ball. They're really promising the world with that thing.
That's fine by me. If it's like the goal technology in the soccer that says when it's over the line and you don't need to stop the game then sure. But 73 replays to see if Gawn marked it on the line come on now.

I think the broader “social media generation” isn’t the core issue of complaint. It’s the growth in dollars and spread in participation of people betting on results. And online communication just provides a quicker channel to vent or apply pressure

Edit: and of course its not just betting on results. Goals per player, marks per player, disposal numbers. The number of people I have had to listen to going off their brain because they recon an umpire cost them their multii seems much larger than it did before

I think the broader “social media generation” isn’t the core issue of complaint. It’s the growth in dollars and spread in participation of people betting on results. And online communication just provides a quicker channel to vent or apply pressure
Kids these days just don't ring up talkback to melt anymore.

Kids these days just don't ring up talkback to melt anymore.
It sucks. They should send an email to Kate Roffee.

She/Melbourne never did write back. I was actually expecting some sort of form response - thanks for your input, GO DEES or something.

I bet GWS would write to me

Edit: and of course its not just betting on results. Goals per player, marks per player, disposal numbers. The number of people I have had to listen to going off their brain because they recon an umpire cost them their multii seems much larger than it did before
I dunno I think mistakes by umpires get highlighted and spread all around social media now. Not that long ago a s**t decision was forgotten for the next one 15 mins later.

She/Melbourne never did write back. I was actually expecting some sort of form response - thanks for your input, GO DEES or something.

I forgot about this. That campaigner.
False President

Maybe just send the exact same email to the GWS president (whoever that is) and test.

I reckon the Giants prez will give you a 12 point plan as to how they are going to fix the Melbourne Football Club.

I dunno I think mistakes by umpires get highlighted and spread all around social media now. Not that long ago a s**t decision was forgotten for the next one 15 mins later.
Yeah - the film footage does probably prolong the fuming

Yeah - the film footage does probably prolong the fuming
Yeah, I swear there was less of a fuss when Hawkins hit the goalpost in the GF than Adelaide's wrong call last season just because of the amount of footy media now. Just like everything else tho that one bad moment means a huge overreaction to the situation

Maybe just send the exact same email to the GWS president (whoever that is) and test.

I reckon the Giants prez will give you a 12 point plan as to how they are going to fix the Melbourne Football Club.
In the form of a team America montage with a Melbourne text overlay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I swear there was less of a fuss when Hawkins hit the goalpost in the GF than Adelaide's wrong call last season just because of the amount of footy media now. Just like everything else tho that one bad moment means a huge overreaction to the situation
Personally, I think there is too much media for the size of the game. I’ve mostly stopped watching footy shows because they cover the same stuff endlessly, and it’s all basically umpire calls, tribunal, and player gossip etc. And repeated over and over. If they must have so many people in this ex player job creation scheme, I wish someone would analyse the play

Personally, I think there is too much media for the size of the game. I’ve mostly stopped watching footy shows because they cover the same stuff endlessly, and it’s all basically umpire calls, tribunal, and player gossip etc. And repeated over and over. If they must have so many people in this ex player job creation scheme, I wish someone would analyse the play
Haha yeah off topic but there's basically 2 types of media and Kane corners.

There's the fluffy how good is all the superstars spew angle and then the try and catch a player who sneezes or shame them for a bump crowd and and nothing else.

There's even more tv shows this year it's insane. The way the Footy media feeds on itself is one of the more weird things about this game.

Like Channel 9 has a new show which is basically just their version of First Crack and Tom Morris said something like "The Swans were happy to part with Buddy last year", which he based on the fact that Franklin didn't have a retirement press conference or something. Then the next day on FC they're playing that clip and discussing what he could have meant by it, whether there was a rift between Franklin and the Swans to the point where Longmire had to come out and shut it down.

Like guys, Morris works for the same company as you. You could have just asked him whether there was anymore to what he was saying.

I had a laugh this weeks because I suddenly notices that the Friday night football, and ‘the Lab’ stuff seems to have been passed from David King to Lewis. And it is IDENTICAL, read from the same script.

The reason I laughed is because I knew this weird guy who loved Kingy and thought he was the most amazing analyst, I can’t imagine why for a second he thought King was doing the pouring over footage and Champion data to produce a 5 minute thing with arrows and circles.

For my part, I want to see more ball drop comparisons

There's even more tv shows this year it's insane. The way the Footy media feeds on itself is one of the more weird things about this game.

Like Channel 9 has a new show which is basically just their version of First Crack and Tom Morris said something like "The Swans were happy to part with Buddy last year", which he based on the fact that Franklin didn't have a retirement press conference or something. Then the next day on FC they're playing that clip and discussing what he could have meant by it, whether there was a rift between Franklin and the Swans to the point where Longmire had to come out and shut it down.

Like guys, Morris works for the same company as you. You could have just asked him whether there was anymore to what he was saying.
Lol I love the little segment on the Sunday footy show nafe does where he calls out the journos. That arrogant looking campaigner who goes on the couch who said sparrow and longmuir were cooked and they both signed deals the same day basically lol

Lol I love the little segment on the Sunday footy show nafe does where he calls out the journos. That arrogant looking campaigner who goes on the couch who said sparrow and longmuir were cooked and they both signed deals the same day basically lol
Don’t like him for any number of very good reasons. But even aside from them, he gives me the creeps because his head seems too large for his body. He looks like a foetus

I had a laugh this weeks because I suddenly notices that the Friday night football, and ‘the Lab’ stuff seems to have been passed from David King to Lewis. And it is IDENTICAL, read from the same script.

The reason I laughed is because I knew this weird guy who loved Kingy and thought he was the most amazing analyst, I can’t imagine why for a second he thought King was doing the pouring over footage and Champion data to produce a 5 minute thing with arrows and circles.

For my part, I want to see more ball drop comparisons
Montagna is probably my favourite analyst at the moment. If they replaced King with someone else like Buckley or Lloyd or someone on First Crack that'd basically be my perfect show.

Montagna is probably my favourite analyst at the moment. If they replaced King with someone else like Buckley or Lloyd or someone on First Crack that'd basically be my perfect show.
Agree. The only slight reservation I have on Montagna is the weird thing he has had for the Dees the last couple of years. But I guess everyone has a blind spot

Bucks is great especially being straight outta the game but also a good media talent as well. It would be great if they could get some more assistants on to give info even under anonymity. In the UFC the fighters meet with the commentators before a fight and tell them their game plan so that the commentator's can talk about it during the fight. Would be great if sports teams were less precious with this stuff

Last edited:
Agree. The only slight reservation I have on Montagna is the weird thing he has had for the Dees the last couple of years. But I guess everyone has a blind spot
I found it amusing when he was saying our off-season wouldn't affect us. I was desperately hoping someone would ask him if he was speaking from experience there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back