• Top 8

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • 9th - 14th

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Bottom 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope we work on our kicking for goal quite a lot during the off-season. We must've cost ourselves a good 3 or 4 games this season through bad kicking. Collingwood, Geelong, and Melbourne spring to mind where we kinda lost it through inaccuracy. Then there was some bad last qtr fades against Port, St Kilda, Richmond, and GWS...

We had quite a few injuries to the point we were threadbare at the back so it was a bit of a miracle we made finals. Work on goal kicking and game management on holding leads in the last qtr and we're maybe 4 or 5 games better off than what we were in 2023.

Recruited magnificently as well, so squad wise we're better, too.

If we get those two things right, there's a lot to like about our 2024 and I'm quietly optimistic. :straining:

Last edited:
Just wanting to throw this one out there, and expecting to be shot down in dramatic fashion.

But.

Disclaimer: Providing fitness is there after a season on the sidelines getting his body right.

Could Sam Reid finish his ultimate swing man career as a Wing.

• enables him to be able to push back into defence to help out
  • enables him to be able to push forward as a target.
  • enables him to be used when we kick long to packs on the wing

Yes - we lose out on pace in that position, but I feel like the way we play currently, our run comes from the half back line, not the wing, so what are we really losing by having him play there.

Just wanting to throw this one out there, and expecting to be shot down in dramatic fashion.

But.

Disclaimer: Providing fitness is there after a season on the sidelines getting his body right.

Could Sam Reid finish his ultimate swing man career as a Wing.

• enables him to be able to push back into defence to help out
  • enables him to be able to push forward as a target.
  • enables him to be used when we kick long to packs on the wing

Yes - we lose out on pace in that position, but I feel like the way we play currently, our run comes from the half back line, not the wing, so what are we really losing by having him play there.
Without drama I think that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Using Gulden, Campbell, McInerney and now Jordon to link back with forward with pace and penetrating kicking is an important part of our game plan. Without Reid we had McLean, Amartey, McDonald, Hayward and Heeney pushing up onto the wing to take those marks. When Reid was playing he was doing that too and dropping back occasionally into defence when needed.
I think that's probably the best arrangement.

Without drama I think that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul. Using Gulden, Campbell, McInerney and now Jordon to link back with forward with pace and penetrating kicking is an important part of our game plan. Without Reid we had McLean, Amartey, McDonald, Hayward and Heeney pushing up onto the wing to take those marks. When Reid was playing he was doing that too and dropping back occasionally into defence when needed.

Haydoss>Reid in every respect

Fair call. I don’t necessarily disagree, just felt it enables us to keep our structures in the forward half without the need to have to play one of the Talls so high. Or Hayward or Heeney. Keeps them where they can be dangerous, and stops them from dragging the strong intercept defenders to the wing where they are also dangerous and potentially send opposition back inside 50. Gives us a mismatch all over the field. Just a thought anyway!

Whats our tall defence gonna look like?
T Macartin - Yep
Hamling, Francis, Melican, Arnold, Edwards
Good chance 3 of them are gone end of 2024
Hoping to draft a tall defender

Whats our small medium defence gonna look like??
Lloyd, Cunningham, Fox, Florent, Vickory?
Good chance Lloyd, Cunningham and Fox are all gone end of 2025

Who can play small lockdown or distributer roles?
Magor - was moved back 2nd half of VFL season. Maybe hes seen as a potential, or maybe he was moved back as he was starved of the footy at half forward? Whatever the reason, He played well.
Vickory - No idea on him?
Corey Warner - has the pace, strength and loves the contest. Could be an option?
Wicks - I dont reckon he has the composure. Hes definitely got the pace, but....
Mitchell, James Jordan - just throwing names out there??

Whats our tall defence gonna look like?
T Macartin - Yep
Hamling, Francis, Melican, Arnold, Edwards
Good chance 3 of them are gone end of 2024
Hoping to draft a tall defender

Whats our small medium defence gonna look like??
Lloyd, Cunningham, Fox, Florent, Vickory?
Good chance Lloyd, Cunningham and Fox are all gone end of 2025

Who can play small lockdown or distributer roles?
Magor - was moved back 2nd half of VFL season. Maybe hes seen as a potential, or maybe he was moved back as he was starved of the footy at half forward? Whatever the reason, He played well.
Vickory - No idea on him?
Corey Warner - has the pace, strength and loves the contest. Could be an option?
Wicks - I dont reckon he has the composure. Hes definitely got the pace, but....
Mitchell, James Jordan - just throwing names out there??
Rampe probably also gone too at the end of 2025. So we also need a defensive leader.
Good questions you pose.
Horse likes a mature defence so I doubt it will be full of kids, more likely he'll try to convert a player or two.
So we should be confident of having McCartin, Blakey and Florent. Melican, Francis and Arnold are all young enough. Good enough is another matter but they are there.
Edwards might be good enough by then.
The #1 issue IMO is a leader to replace Rampe. Don't see one. Don't see one to convert.
The #2 issue is replacing Cunningham on the small forwards. My pick would be Roberts. Quick enough, tough enough. How to teach him?

Rampe probably also gone too at the end of 2025. So we also need a defensive leader.
Good questions you pose.
Horse likes a mature defence so I doubt it will be full of kids, more likely he'll try to convert a player or two.
So we should be confident of having McCartin, Blakey and Florent. Melican, Francis and Arnold are all young enough. Good enough is another matter but they are there.
Edwards might be good enough by then.
The #1 issue IMO is a leader to replace Rampe. Don't see one. Don't see one to convert.
The #2 issue is replacing Cunningham on the small forwards. My pick would be Roberts. Quick enough, tough enough. How to teach him?
#1 Issue - Is Mills the answer? Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Mills only full year in the midfield he was named All Australian! But yep, outside Mills, its hard to see a replacement
#2 Issue
- Never thought of Roberts as quick, but you may be right.
- I dont mind Corey Warner (Im a fan), but reckon he'll struggle to play regularly as that inside/outside/half forward type. Hes behind Heeney, Gulden, Chad Warner. Reckon Campbell will play that role too. Then theres Parker, Adams and Paps who will spend time in the mids and forward, plus McInerney.
- Magor could be good (Im a fan of his too), but would he be better up forward? He started getting 20+ possessions when he was moved back in the VFL. Quick, a good kick and seemed to have the composure that someone with good footy IQ (fancy term for a good footy player) has
- James Jordan - I reckon we traded him because as a good player and a free agent at 23yo he was too good to pass up. What role will he play? Like Corey Warner, hes probably behind all those same guys. Could be in defence?

Melican, Francis - reckon only one will be on the list in 12 months
Arnold, Edwards - both are gonna need to show big improvement next year
Vickory - get the feeling he needs a big year.

So in 2 years.. McCartin, Florent, Blakey.. and a whole lot of players needing to do a whole lot of work to grab those remaining spots

#1 Issue - Is Mills the answer? Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Mills only full year in the midfield he was named All Australian! But yep, outside Mills, its hard to see a replacement
#2 Issue
- Never thought of Roberts as quick, but you may be right.
- I dont mind Corey Warner (Im a fan), but reckon he'll struggle to play regularly as that inside/outside/half forward type. Hes behind Heeney, Gulden, Chad Warner. Reckon Campbell will play that role too. Then theres Parker, Adams and Paps who will spend time in the mids and forward, plus McInerney.
- Magor could be good (Im a fan of his too), but would he be better up forward? He started getting 20+ possessions when he was moved back in the VFL. Quick, a good kick and seemed to have the composure that someone with good footy IQ (fancy term for a good footy player) has
- James Jordan - I reckon we traded him because as a good player and a free agent at 23yo he was too good to pass up. What role will he play? Like Corey Warner, hes probably behind all those same guys. Could be in defence?

Melican, Francis - reckon only one will be on the list in 12 months
Arnold, Edwards - both are gonna need to show big improvement next year
Vickory - get the feeling he needs a big year.

So in 2 years.. McCartin, Florent, Blakey.. and a whole lot of players needing to do a whole lot of work to grab those remaining spots
Smooch wasn't particularly quick. Cunningham is quicker than he was. It's more about anticipation and being in the right place to block and divert them and prevent them getting a run at it. I reckon Roberts could have the skills. Just need to see him in the role.

or Leake.
I think Leake will be gone. Even if he isn't, he may be the player but is he the leader? Not saying that he isn't but it was O'Sullivan who picked up the MVP in that team. Some are saying that Hardeman is the leader. Again being captain and defensive leader are not necessarily one and the same. There is no doubt that Mills could do the job very effectively but it would be one heck of a shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Leake will be gone. Even if he isn't, he may be the player but is he the leader? Not saying that he isn't but it was O'Sullivan who picked up the MVP in that team. Some are saying that Hardeman is the leader. Again being captain and defensive leader are not necessarily one and the same. There is no doubt that Mills could do the job very effectively but it would be one heck of a shame.
Just look at Collingwood with Dependlebury in the backline. It is no shame if you win premierships. He was an elite midfielder. I rememeber and have posted about a time when he literally walked around about 6 of our players. Walked. Shimmied, feinted, sold dummies, but walked around our players and delivered inside 50. If he can play backline so can Mills. What about Rampe. He would have been a midfield bull. Intimidating. Yet he plays back with aplomb.
There is no shame playing back when you do it well.

The other possibility for the backline is Hayward.. Hes played defensive roles up forward and when he was moved back for a few games 2-3 years ago to find some form, He played pretty well.
Id rather see Hayward back playing Rampes role or as that 3rd tall than Mills.

repeat::: Mills only season as a full time mid, he made All Australian and Swans made the Granny

Just look at Collingwood with Dependlebury in the backline. It is no shame if you win premierships. He was an elite midfielder. I rememeber and have posted about a time when he literally walked around about 6 of our players. Walked. Shimmied, feinted, sold dummies, but walked around our players and delivered inside 50. If he can play backline so can Mills. What about Rampe. He would have been a midfield bull. Intimidating. Yet he plays back with aplomb.
There is no shame playing back when you do it well.

I think Mills showed last year just how good a mid he could have been had his development been managed differently.

I think Mills showed last year just how good a mid he could have been had his development been managed differently.
Mills making the AA team as a midfielder is proof his development was very good. Mills being able to help the team out on the wing or in defence when needed (and do a bloody good job) also shows just how good his development has been

A big tick for Horse.

Mills making the AA team as a midfielder is proof his development was very good. Mills being able to help the team out on the wing or in defence when needed (and do a bloody good job) also shows just how good his development has been

A big tick for Horse.

Yep he is a very good footballer but not a champion. I believe his development as a mid was delayed.

A big cross for Horse.

Yep, sorry I meant to say, Horse is a sh*t coach.. I mean hes only won one Granny!

Small print: 15 out of the last 17 premierships have been won on the MCG by Victorian teams.

don’t exaggerate. As I said Mills is a very good player. I believe he had the potential to be a champion midfielder. I believe his potential was wasted. Many others also held the same view about delay in his intro to the midfield.

don’t exaggerate. As I said Mills is a very good player. I believe he had the potential to be a champion midfielder. I believe his potential was wasted. Many others also held the same view about delay in his intro to the midfield.
That is a very old discussion.. its been done.. but just to remind your selective memory.
Horse is on record in 2019 and 2020 saying he wants Mills in the midfield but injuries to many key personnel in defence throughout 2019 & 2020 meant that Mills had to stay back.
Blame the recruiting team or blame the medical team or blame the chain Rampe tripped over.

Im not exaggerating.. Horse has only won one flag.

I would not want the name Leake in our defence… the Vic media would go to town every time we lost.
I'd be surprised if they could get the name right. "Eric Golden, Nick Blakely and James Lake down on form as the Swans perennial brand of contested footy begins to slip".

I'd be surprised if they could get the name right. "Eric Golden, Nick Blakely and James Lake down on form as the Swans perennial brand of contested footy begins to slip".
Mainly due to the contested football that we play because the SCG is so small, and the fact that it hasn't rained for a while and we know the Swans excel in the wet...

Back