Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the Eagles and Freo don’t do road trips where they play 2 games every trip reduces their travel to a maximum of 6 trips per season. Two weeks on two weeks off. A different lifestyle but they could make it work. Even just do this a couple of times?
Would definitely think this would make sense at least a couple of times a season to minimise travel, mix it in with their short breaks for the year. Ie play in Melbourne on Sunday & then Friday and then come home - two trips done in one week away and more time at home throughout the year.

Didn't know that. Josh Bruce is lucky they didn't call for the hessian screen.

At least all our father/sons shows he wasn’t performing the unkindest cut on our boys.

Did Zimmerman quit?
No, press release said will work together.

Side note - at a training session one of my kids yelled out "best doc in the game" as he walked past, and Zimmer came over and said "at least someone thinks so" lol.

Edit - here he was
20230813_114055(0).jpg

Last edited:
Would definitely think this would make sense at least a couple of times a season to minimise travel, mix it in with their short breaks for the year. Ie play in Melbourne on Sunday & then Friday and then come home - two trips done in one week away and more time at home throughout the year.
If I was the club I’d be asking the AFL for back to back away games again Brisbane and Gold Coast in the middle of the season, maybe leading into the bye even. Give the players a chance to get away for 1-2 weeks in the warm weather.

If I was the club I’d be asking the AFL for back to back away games again Brisbane and Gold Coast in the middle of the season, maybe leading into the bye even. Give the players a chance to get away for 1-2 weeks in the warm weather.
Adz likes this 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May just be a coincidence, but it seems that with the senior guys there's been a focus on defensive nous, and with the development coaches a common thread of resilience/leadership. I like it.
Pratt and Egan are good signings. I'm underwhelmed though by the new development coaches.

I want to see our club achieve a Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond type era of multiple premierships. We need people who will challenge the status quo.. Who are respected by the players. Don't see that in these two.

Also we need to have our Ballarat games against North and St Kilda as the other s**t drawing Melbourne teams. Quit throwing away 2 x proper home ground advantages against interstate sides every year.
get rid of Ballarat games altogether. Always a howling wind there and when your team already can't kick straight what hope do you have

Also we need to have our Ballarat games against North and St Kilda as the other s**t drawing Melbourne teams. Quit throwing away 2 x proper home ground advantages against interstate sides every year.

I don’t see how you could blame the last two Ballarat losses on Ballarat. Particularly with the strategy used on both occasions. I would argue being the only ones who play at Ballarat (ignoring north early days) is an home advantage all the same. It won’t happen anyway as a bigger crowd a marvel with North and Saints.

get rid of Ballarat games altogether. Always a howling wind there and when your team already can't kick straight what hope do you have

Better stop training at WO (Move the VFL and AFLW team too) and knock it down then. What a waste of expansion. Better not get more games at the MCG, or any ground without a roof where finals are played. Could be windy!

The wind will be less of an issue as seats are build in coming years.

Pratt and Egan are good signings. I'm underwhelmed though by the new development coaches.

I want to see our club achieve a Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond type era of multiple premierships. We need people who will challenge the status quo.. Who are respected by the players. Don't see that in these two.
Johnson and Geary will be great development coaches. Both have great experiences, AJ especially around resiliency and being around the Swans structure, and JG being a great leader who worked his ass off to be the best he could be with his skillset. Will be good for our younger players and perhaps a good influence on Baz to stay.

Highest crowd we’ve ever had at Ballarat is 10.4K, supposedly new WO capacity is about 10k….

Someone tell me why we wouldn’t play 2-3 games a year there, it’s broadcast ready, immaculate surface etc

I mean I wouldn’t be against WO in spirit. Premier Jacinta Allan confirmed that Ballarat will soon build another 5,000 seats for a roughly 16,000 odd capacity. WO has less seats, less parking, less space and so on. Most critically, the AFL says no.

Geary was one of the most respected captains in the league for a period. While not on the same level as a player, he’s basically the Saints answer to Boyd. I think he’s an outstanding recruitment

Highest crowd we’ve ever had at Ballarat is 10.4K, supposedly new WO capacity is about 10k….

Someone tell me why we wouldn’t play 2-3 games a year there, it’s broadcast ready, immaculate surface etc
The reason is the promotion of football in regional Victoria. Some of those games in Ballarat we would get 20k for Giants or Suns and 25k for Power and Crows at Marvel, so it’s not necessarily about numbers of spectators. I like the experiment more than Darwin or Cairns. So we get a lot of ‘promotional’ money. We also potentially get some kids in the ‘Rat following us that wouldn’t have. But I too would love games back at Whitten oval. We don’t do stadiums cheap in Australia, we get obsessed with putting a verandas/roof on them which adds greatly to the cost of them. We pulled down a grand stand to put up one with less capacity, unless there is a bigger vision to have grands stands right around the oval I think this was an unwise move. Even in America, in much colder climates, they build these much larger simple stadiums without roofs. Ballarat needs the members side stand height to go around the whole ground at a minimum I reckon. That then would hold about 20k, all seated.
The Whitten oval also needs this kind of large cheap but comfortable simple stand around the outer wing and Geelong road end to up the capacity to 25k plus.
I remember being in the crowd at the Western Oval early in the season 1985, bright sunny day, we were playing the reining premiers, Essendon and there was 33,000 plus in there that glorious day. Apparently in the 50’s and 60’s there were much larger crowds back then.
The Whitten oval has a train station just outside and on a major highway making it strategically very well placed long term.

The reason is the promotion of football in regional Victoria. Some of those games in Ballarat we would get 20k for Giants or Suns and 25k for Power and Crows at Marvel, so it’s not necessarily about numbers of spectators. I like the experiment more than Darwin or Cairns. So we get a lot of ‘promotional’ money. We also potentially get some kids in the ‘Rat following us that wouldn’t have. But I too would love games back at Whitten oval. We don’t do stadiums cheap in Australia, we get obsessed with putting a verandas/roof on them which adds greatly to the cost of them. We pulled down a grand stand to put up one with less capacity, unless there is a bigger vision to have grands stands right around the oval I think this was an unwise move. Even in America, in much colder climates, they build these much larger simple stadiums without roofs. Ballarat needs the members side stand height to go around the whole ground at a minimum I reckon. That then would hold about 20k, all seated.
The Whitten oval also needs this kind of large cheap but comfortable simple stand around the outer wing and Geelong road end to up the capacity to 25k plus.
I remember being in the crowd at the Western Oval early in the season 1985, bright sunny day, we were playing the reining premiers, Essendon and there was 33,000 plus in there that glorious day. Apparently in the 50’s and 60’s there were much larger crowds back then.
The Whitten oval has a train station just outside and on a major highway making it strategically very well placed long term.

All good points... but based on AFL and Govt oversight there won't be terrace seating on the outer again, sadly.

As much as I'd love to see h&a games at WO again, I'm pragmatic enough to realise it will never happen.

Oh goody we're discussing why we have games at Ballarat again. This should be riveting.

Can some interloper/troll now ask what we think of changing our name back to Footscray? (after saying "I come in peace.")

Remove this Banner Ad

Back