Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Highest crowd we’ve ever had at Ballarat is 10.4K, supposedly new WO capacity is about 10k….

Someone tell me why we wouldn’t play 2-3 games a year there, it’s broadcast ready, immaculate surface etc
Isn't the main reason we play there because the city of Ballarat pays us a significant amount of money to do so?
Same reason North and Hawthorn go to Tassie and I think it's a better arrangement than those clubs have.

Oh goody we're discussing why we have games at Ballarat again. This should be riveting.

Can some interloper/troll now ask what we think of changing our name back to Footscray? (after saying "I come in peace.")
Let's also reignite the Naughton to CHB debate...if it's even gone away yet:rolleyes:

Isn't the main reason we play there because the city of Ballarat pays us a significant amount of money to do so?
Same reason North and Hawthorn go to Tassie and I think it's a better arrangement than those clubs have.
Yeah of course it would have to make financial sense to change - i don’t claim to know the numbers but in the past it was obviously beneficial compared to Etihad. But now we’re in the position (that Hawks & North aren’t) that we have a freshly redeveloped stadium that has been designed to the standard fit to host at least AFLW games, with broadcast quality lighting & infrastructure fit for a capacity which is supposedly pretty close to Ballarat anyway (~10k from Google)

I get the conversation has been done to death but it’s kind of relevant considering we have a brand new redeveloped stadium & we’re in the last year of the deal.

Again yes we’d have to be privy to the financial aspects of the deal, all I can find online is the following “The three-year partnership contribution from the City of Ballarat totals $1.375 million.” But I’m guessing that’s just from Ballarat and VIC gov etc might add more as that number seems extremely low.

With 10k capacity at WO even at $20 a pop that’s $200k in gate takings per game, would make an absolute fortune on the bar, would have a replacement sponsor on the shorts over Ballarat. Would we really be that much worse of financially? And if we are would it be enough to not be worth the huge sporting gain by playing at our real home ground in our actual home suburb, building up local business in our home and all the other benefits that come with that.

Could easily have parking set up at a neighbouring station and run trains in to WO, if parking is an issue.

I dunno again obviously the numbers would have to make sense, but I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t on the cards considering the convenient timing of our sponsorship with Ballarat ending at the same time WO comes online. I know the club has said it won’t be the case but I reckon that might start to change as this deal ends.

Fingers crossed.

Highest crowd we’ve ever had at Ballarat is 10.4K, supposedly new WO capacity is about 10k….

Someone tell me why we wouldn’t play 2-3 games a year there, it’s broadcast ready, immaculate surface etc
because then the floodgates will open for all the other teams to push for games at their suburban grounds taking away from the afls bottom line at marvel. which they own.

Yeah of course it would have to make financial sense to change - i don’t claim to know the numbers but in the past it was obviously beneficial compared to Etihad. But now we’re in the position (that Hawks & North aren’t) that we have a freshly redeveloped stadium that has been designed to the standard fit to host at least AFLW games, with broadcast quality lighting & infrastructure fit for a capacity which is supposedly pretty close to Ballarat anyway (~10k from Google)

I get the conversation has been done to death but it’s kind of relevant considering we have a brand new redeveloped stadium & we’re in the last year of the deal.

Again yes we’d have to be privy to the financial aspects of the deal, all I can find online is the following “The three-year partnership contribution from the City of Ballarat totals $1.375 million.” But I’m guessing that’s just from Ballarat and VIC gov etc might add more as that number seems extremely low.

With 10k capacity at WO even at $20 a pop that’s $200k in gate takings per game, would make an absolute fortune on the bar, would have a replacement sponsor on the shorts over Ballarat. Would we really be that much worse of financially? And if we are would it be enough to not be worth the huge sporting gain by playing at our real home ground in our actual home suburb, building up local business in our home and all the other benefits that come with that.

Could easily have parking set up at a neighbouring station and run trains in to WO, if parking is an issue.

I dunno again obviously the numbers would have to make sense, but I’d be very surprised if this wasn’t on the cards considering the convenient timing of our sponsorship with Ballarat ending at the same time WO comes online. I know the club has said it won’t be the case but I reckon that might start to change as this deal ends.

Fingers crossed.

It's not the club's call. AFL won't schedule games at WO. Or any of the other old suburban grounds. I'd expect pre-season/practice matches plus existing AFLW and VFL to be the maximum scheduled.

What have Geary and Johnson been up to since retiring? Any coaching experience?

Geary was one of the most respected captains in the league for a period. While not on the same level as a player, he’s basically the Saints answer to Boyd. I think he’s an outstanding recruitment
Yes I get that Geary was well respected and the resiliency of Johnson and being at the swans. Not saying they're bad appointments.

But a lot of our list have already either won a premiership or played in a grand final. Or have been around the club during those times. Many know what it takes to achieve at the highest level already. What I would like to have seen in development coaches are recent players who have been a key part of taking a club through a great era. How to get to the top and stay on top.

Yes I get that Geary was well respected and the resiliency of Johnson and being at the swans. Not saying they're bad appointments.

But a lot of our list have already either won a premiership or played in a grand final. Or have been around the club during those times. Many know what it takes to achieve at the highest level already. What I would like to have seen in development coaches are recent players who have been a key part of taking a club through a great era. How to get to the top and stay on top.
Are you limiting that then to recent key player retirees from Hawthorn (maybe too old now), Geelong and Richmond? That will be a very narrow field?

I don’t know what off-field exposure Johnson had during his time at Sydney other than the rehab room but his years there (2011-2018) while not a “great era” wasn’t bad at all. They certainly backed up year after year and there are learnings even not winning the GF:
  • 2011: finals (week 2)
  • 2012: premiers (he played)
  • 2013: top 4 (prelim)
  • 2014: minor premier (lost GF)
  • 2015: top 4 (straight sets)
  • 2016: minor premier (lost GF)
  • 2017: finals (week 2) after 0-6 start
  • 2018: finals (week 1)

because then the floodgates will open for all the other teams to push for games at their suburban grounds taking away from the afls bottom line at marvel. which they own.
Were the only team with a ground up to standard, plus this already happens anyway? Hawks & Norf play 3 games in Tassie, us Ballarat, Melbourne play a game or two in Alice Springs, Saints play wherever someone will give them a buck and the big teams wouldn’t bother when they pack out their stadiums each week anyway. I get your point but I don’t really think that’s an issue when it’s literally already happening.

What have Geary and Johnson been up to since retiring? Any coaching experience?
The 35-year-old called time on his 207-game career at the Saints midway through 2022 after battling significant injuries in the twilight of his 16-season career.

Since then, the Bendigo Pioneers product has worked alongside veteran AFL high performance coach Matt Hornsby as leadership and performance manager at SANO Health.

I'm not exactly sure what that means but sometimes experience outside the AFL bubble can lead to new perspectives.

As for Johnson, sometimes players with long term injuries spend a considerable amount of time working with the coaching group to help keep them connected to the team and to expand their understanding of how the game works. Hopefully this was the case at Sydney.

I haven’t heard much about Stewart Edge? Has been at the club for a long time. Seems very well regarded. I have heard they don’t pay the Footscray coach very much at all?? He has to have other income sources. Club must believe he is the right man for Footscray (very important role in the program) but maybe not other roles?

Were the only team with a ground up to standard, plus this already happens anyway? Hawks & Norf play 3 games in Tassie, us Ballarat, Melbourne play a game or two in Alice Springs, Saints play wherever someone will give them a buck and the big teams wouldn’t bother when they pack out their stadiums each week anyway. I get your point but I don’t really think that’s an issue when it’s literally already happening.
Fair questions you are asking and am on the same page.

However, the State Government bankrolls the deal so unless we can pick up the difference in revenue some other way or the State Government stops bankrolling the games at Ballarat, they will take precedence.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair questions you are asking and am on the same page.

However, the State Government bankrolls the deal so unless we can pick up the difference in revenue some other way or the State Government stops bankrolling the games at Ballarat, they will take precedence.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Exactly right it all comes down to the bottom line and the clubs who don't attract 80+k fans to home and away games need to get the cash some how. They would play in a pig pen if the profit was there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh goody we're discussing why we have games at Ballarat again. This should be riveting.

Can some interloper/troll now ask what we think of changing our name back to Footscray? (after saying "I come in peace.")
In fairness the conversation started with my suggestion we change up the teams we play there. We drew 33k against the Saints at Marvel on a Saturday night at the start of the season. We played against North at Marvel in-front of 24k, about the same as (in some cases less) we got for home games against Port, WCE, Freo.

I’d like at least one or our Ballarat games to be against North or St Kilda and get a proper home ground advantage game back (I don’t buy that we have any idea how to play that ground).

Hawks got to play us in Tassie. North got to play the Dees in Tassie (in fairness 3/4 were interstate teams) so there is precedent for these smaller games not only being against interstate teams.

I wouldn't be stressing too much about the premiership tallies of development coaches. I'd take a guy like Geary who didn't have the tools but made it work through effort and professionalism over a guy that cruised into a flag on talent any day of the week.

In fairness the conversation started with my suggestion we change up the teams we play there. We drew 33k against the Saints at Marvel on a Saturday night at the start of the season. We played against North at Marvel in-front of 24k, about the same as (in some cases less) we got for home games against Port, WCE, Freo.

I’d like at least one or our Ballarat games to be against North or St Kilda and get a proper home ground advantage game back (I don’t buy that we have any idea how to play that ground).

Hawks got to play us in Tassie. North got to play the Dees in Tassie (in fairness 3/4 were interstate teams) so there is precedent for these smaller games not only being against interstate teams.
Yes, it's fair enough to question who we play there. FWIW I think it'll always be an interstate team, especially if North start to rise up the ladder.

Either way we have to accept the Mars deal is in place for the foreseeable future and that the debate has been done to death in recent years.

It'd be better placed in the Ballarat thread or the 2024 fixtures thread ... although it seems this one has morphed into a catchall for all sorts of things!

The fact that people think what makes a successful coach or not is some magical superpower gathered from "being around success" and that somehow translates a few years later, rather than actual skills like breaking down the tactics of the game, communication to players, being organised and good interpersonal skills, leads people to dumb discussion in this thread in the first place.

I for one think it's actually an excellent thing that we got Geary, because club captains that get given that responsibility while being outside the best 10 or so players in their team are so rare, that it probably highlights how highly he was regarded in the areas of captaincy like interpersonal skills that relate to coaching that overcome the actual ability he had on the field. Not some dumb measurement of whether he won a flag or not, because there's apparently something magical about that (rather than it simply being the end result of football inputs like strength and conditioning and skill execution, with some randomness thrown in).

Comparisons to Matthew Boyd are a bit silly because while he did come from humble beginnings, he was only really a leader once it became clear that he was an excellent player who won three best and fairests, was a three-time AA and was in two other AA squads of 40.

The fact that people think what makes a successful coach or not is some magical superpower gathered from "being around success" and that somehow translates a few years later, rather than actual skills like breaking down the tactics of the game, communication to players, being organised and good interpersonal skills, leads people to dumb discussion in this thread in the first place.

I for one think it's actually an excellent thing that we got Geary, because club captains that get given that responsibility while being outside the best 10 or so players in their team are so rare, that it probably highlights how highly he was regarded in the areas of captaincy like interpersonal skills that relate to coaching that overcome the actual ability he had on the field. Not some dumb measurement of whether he won a flag or not, because there's apparently something magical about that (rather than it simply being the end result of football inputs like strength and conditioning and skill execution, with some randomness thrown in).

Comparisons to Matthew Boyd are a bit silly because while he did come from humble beginnings, he was only really a leader once it became clear that he was an excellent player who won three best and fairests, was a three-time AA and was in two other AA squads of 40.
Leadership is a complex thing. To paraphrase Shakespeare, some are born leaders some achieve leadership and others have leadership thrust upon them. We've seen all of these at the Dogs - EJ was a natural and charismatic leader but that didn't automatically make him our best leader ever. Hawkins never really became a great leader despite being the best player. Johnno grew into the leadership role over the course of his career. Murphy and Wood had it thrust upon them and did well. Griffen had it thrust upon him too, to his horror. He literally ran away from it.

I'm wary of some of the charismatic types as that can be an illusion. Some excellent leaders I've seen or been around have not been natural leaders but have worked hard to learn it and have developed into the role. They can end up being the best as they tend to understand and promote the team ethos.

But that's just captaincy. There's more to coaching than just leadership. I think EJ was a very good leader but not so good as a coach. You need to be a thinker and an analyst and have some imaginative flair (as well as the leadership and motivational skills). People like Sheedy, Bevo, Parkin, Barrassi and Matthews come to mind. Two were among the greatest players the game has seen. The rest were average to very good players, but achieved a lot more in their coaching career than in their playing career.

I'll be interested to watch how Clarkson goes at North. Looks like he'll end up with a great squad again like he did at Hawthorn so he'll be hailed as a success. No doubt he's good but I'm not sure how good. I'd like to see how he'd go with an average list.

Def against north after they shafted us on Good Friday
We are just two cockroaches fighting over the scraps falling from the AFL's table where Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Carlton etc are gorging themselves at the banquet.

Good Friday is a weak marquee game anyway. Would rather a home Friday or Saturday night against Collingwood, Carlton etc...
It was never even a marquee game for us, even when we were fixtured to play in it. Without rotating the home side between us and North, as they do with every single other marquee fixture, it really couldn't have meant much of substance to the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back