Position 2024 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2024 AFL season is sneaking up and that means it’s time to start considering your SuperCoach team.

We have picked out 10 defenders seemingly underpriced who could provide some value early in the season and get you off to a strong start.

Elliot Yeo hasn’t made the cut. Yes, he probably is a value priced at 80, but he hasn’t played 13 games in a season since 2019 – does anyone want to attach themselves to the 30-year-old at this point? He hasn’t averaged over 90 since 2019 as well.

Angus Brayshaw we considered given the question marks over Clayton Oliver and James Jordon leaving. Mitch Duncan is tempting at $500,000 and an average of 90, but it doesn’t quite feel like value. Ed Richards potentially playing more midfield minutes is also intriguing.

Hayden Young (FRE) - $525,100
After moving into the midfield at the end of 2023, Hayden Young scored 123, 118, 113 and 111 in consecutive games – rude of them to throw him in at the end of the year, upping his price for this year.

Young will continue in the midfield this season and has spent the summer training in the role.

With his elite ball-use and complimentary skillset to Andrew Brayshaw and Caleb Serong, the 22-year-old feels like a slam dunk pick to start your season.

Priced at 94, Young feels like a great bet to average 100+ in 2024.

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK) - $475,800
One of the breakout players of 2023, Wanganeen-Milera’s average jumped from 51.8 to 85.1 under Ross Lyon.

An elite kick off half-back, could he make the leap into the 90s-100s in 2024? He should be the primary ball mover for the Saints out of defence, particularly if Jack Sinclair spends more time in the middle.

The 20-year-old looks like a future star of the competition and this could be the last time he’s priced under $500,000.

Keidean Coleman (BRI) - $398,800
Feels like a lot of people are on the Keidean Coleman train after last year’s finals series, where he scored 127 points in both the Prelim and the Grand Final.

From Round 19 through to the end of finals, Coleman averaged 99.72 points per game. The hope will be that he takes that confidence into 2024 and the Lions trust him with a greater role.

He’ll be 24 this season and ready to be the Lions’ prime ball mover off the half-back line.

Braeden Campbell (SYD) - $386,600
One of the best kicks in the AFL, Campbell played 23 games for the Swans in 2023, but only averaged 69.2 points per game.

Coming into his fourth season and likely having established himself in the club’s best 22, will the defender emerge as a player who can average at least 80 in 2024?

It’s a gamble, particularly given the other cheap defenders available, but it could be a good point of difference selection.

Changkuoth Jiath (HAW) - $347,900
It feels like we haven’t seen the best of Changkuoth Jiath in the last two seasons, with injuries keeping him from continuity.

Jiath averaged 84.4 points in 2019, but is pried at 62.2 going into 2024.

The ceiling doesn’t feel particularly high, but there’s certainly a world where he gets back to that average and puts together a full season of footy.

Jordan Boyd (CAR) - $283,600
Want a roughie? Jordan Boyd might just be the best kick on Carlton’s list and could find himself in their best 22 across half-back in 2024.

He played the best game of his career in the Preliminary Final, scoring 81 points from 17 disposals.

He’s probably $80,000 too expensive to role the dice on, but there’s a world where Boyd plays regularly, even with Zac Williams back, and averages in the 70s and makes you some money.

Heath Chapman (FRE) - $251,700
2023 was not Heath Chapman’s year. He played just the three games as injuries held him back.

However, he has hit pre-season training running and looks like a prime candidate to replace Liam Henry on the wing in 2024.

He averaged 75.9 points in 2022 from 15 games and he would be a safe bet to get near that again.

Zac Williams (CAR) - $216,100
Williams missed the entire 2023 season with a torn ACL and is an absolute bargain at $216,100.

He will slot straight back into Carlton’s best 22 in the backline and be one of the year’s great cash cows.

We’re not telling you anything you don’t know here.

Josh Gibcus (RIC) - $150,700
Josh Gibcus also missed all of 2023 with a frustrating hamstring injury, but if he’s ready to go for Round 1, he should be starting for your side.

While the ceiling for him might only be averaging 60-70, that’s enough to make you some money.

He will have great job security at Tigerland and feels like a safe bet if he’s ready to go.

Nick Coffield (WBD) - $123,900
At basement price, Nick Coffield could be an absolute gift in the backline in 2024.

Traded from St Kilda to the Bulldogs, you’d imagine they brought him in to play the talented defender.

He hasn’t played at AFL level since 2021 due to a torn ACL and ongoing soft tissue issues.

Has Christian Salem had a full pre season?

Didn’t realise Coleman is so cheap. Hard not to pick him. Wonder how he’d go with a tag.
If he could improve his second half output he would be an absolute must have. Lots of disappearing acts, is young though.

Don't have the balls to start him but my gut feel is Trent Rivers could blow up and be a top defender in 2024. Just think if Oliver isn't part of the plans, the Demons will need to switch things up massively and aim for quick, direct ball movement using their running weapons. I'll watch him closely during the pre-season.

Was looking at defenders.

Why Joel Hamling price not cheaper he has not played for donks...

What changed for Whitfield post bye last season? This guy some how ends up in my team every single year, despite hurting me every single time.

Pre bye average: 84
Post bye average: 107
Finals average: 108 (two great scores but a bad 75 v pies in PF)

Did his role change? Did he just get his confidence back? I honestly have no clue so I’d love for some giant fans to provide some insight on how he’s looking. Eye test wise, i thought his finals series was phenomenal, genuinely some of the best footy I’ve seen him play in years. I guess the worry could be with Himmleberg, Ash etc all back there, he has to share the duties too often which leads to inconsistent scoring. But it’s a new SuperCoach season and the son of a b*ch has lured me in again…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What changed for Whitfield post bye last season? This guy some how ends up in my team every single year, despite hurting me every single time.

Did his role change? Did he just get his confidence back? I honestly have no clue so I’d love for some giant fans to provide some insight on how he’s looking. Eye test wise, i thought his finals series was phenomenal, genuinely some of the best footy I’ve seen him play in years. I guess the worry could be with Himmleberg, Ash etc all back there, he has to share the duties too often which leads to inconsistent scoring. But it’s a new SuperCoach season and the son of a b*ch has lured me in again…
GWS got better, that might have helped. Extra scoring chains?

As a previous Whitfield owner he seemed to get burnt A LOT by his teammates. Maybe it was an instruction to look for him more?

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

He’s somehow currently in my team after some tinkering last night.

Locks; Nick Daicos, Tom Stewart, Hayden Young, Zac Williams

50:50's; Toby Pink, Zac Reid, Nick Coffield

Not sure how to fill out the rest of the back 8 (6/8)

Watching eyes-lurking.gif
Ed Richards DEF to DEF-MID

Track watchers at Whitten Oval have noted Luke Beveridge has tossed the magnets around during pre-season and given a host of players the chance to press their claims to be part of a midfield that will be without the injured Bailey Smith. Richards is one of the surprise names who was been trialled in the middle as part of the shuffle. SuperCoaches would prefer to know Jack Macrae will be a full-time on-baller, but it seems Bevo is determined to give a few new faces midfield opportunities too.

Trent Rivers DEF to DEF-MID

The 22-year-old Demon is one of the players being earmarked to fill the void if Clayton Oliver is unavailable early in the season. Rivers got a taste of the midfield last season, attending 20 centre bounces. Leading analyst David King noted Rivers was a “standout” during a recent match sim at Casey Fields. He only needs to spend about 35 per cent of time in the middle during the first five rounds to become a DEF-MID.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back