Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with this, with Fyfe also in the guts though, it’s likely Johnson play the most on the wing (for the next two years anyway) Fyfe and Young (with Johnson rotating through) gives us the size, AB and Serong gives us the two way running to get to the next contest. Once Fyfe hangs up the boots, Johnson steps into that role full time and we find another wing/inside mid, hopefully NOD, Erasmus, Stanley or Simpson are smashing the door down by then. All of whom are also contending for a HHF/mid role with JOM and Switta.
If Johnson is looking good, surely they have to look at getting Serong a second position - he could be a real weapon resting up forward. It would solve so many issues and if we have a lot of talented young mids, make use of like Collingwood do

If Johnson is looking good, surely they have to look at getting Serong a second position - he could be a real weapon resting up forward. It would solve so many issues and if we have a lot of talented young mids, make use of like Collingwood do
Our midfield would have to be seriously firing if we can afford to put our best player in the forward line! But yes, I’m struggling with how we get everyone minutes in the guts as well. He’d want to start kicking more goals though!

Our midfield would have to be seriously firing if we can afford to put our best player in the forward line! But yes, I’m struggling with how we get everyone minutes in the guts as well. He’d want to start kicking more goals though!
It should be able to do that though, is there a Collingwood mid who doesnt have a 2nd spot they spend a decent amount of time at each game? Not off the top of my head. Strength in numbers

I really think to get more midfield rotations, we need Young, Brayshaw, Serong, Johnson to all be lining up on the Wing for periods during the game.

I think it makes us less predictable at the centre bounce, and allows more people to run through the middle for small stints.

I think you should have a dedicated winger for the outside wing, and a rotated mid for the inside wing.

I just don’t think our mids other than Johnson are overly well suited to that role. It isn’t a role for someone that needs a rest - it’s less contested but the amount of running etc. would be similar if not more.

I’d like to have a different type of player in there to Brayshaw, Serong, Young and Fyfe/Erasmus (Johnson is a bit different but more). It’s a bit of a one paced midfield imo. In 2022 we had Acres and NOD on either side - I think we need something similar.

Two players like Matt Johnson would ideal imo. Chapman has that potential but we’d need to either go very short on the back line or find another mid-sized defender.

Wouldn’t be against just playing the extra inside mid in 2024 tbh. I feel we’ll be better for it long term if we give Erasmus games this year and next before he takes over from Fyfe. Once we’ve got a top five inside mids that’ll be around for a while the priority becomes getting the mix as close to right as possible though.

I just don’t think our mids other than Johnson are overly well suited to that role. It isn’t a role for someone that needs a rest - it’s less contested but the amount of running etc. would be similar if not more.

I’d like to have a different type of player in there to Brayshaw, Serong, Young and Fyfe/Erasmus (Johnson is a bit different but more). It’s a bit of a one paced midfield imo. In 2022 we had Acres and NOD on either side - I think we need something similar.

Two players like Matt Johnson would ideal imo. Chapman has that potential but we’d need to either go very short on the back line or find another mid-sized defender.

Wouldn’t be against just playing the extra inside mid in 2024 tbh. I feel we’ll be better for it long term if we give Erasmus games this year and next before he takes over from Fyfe. Once we’ve got a top five inside mids that’ll be around for a while the priority becomes getting the mix as close to right as possible though.
While I agree that having 2x Matt Johnson would be ideal, I think short spurts of Switta, Jackson and Johnson inserted into the main 4 of Fyfe, AB, Serong and Young gives us a lot potential combinations that will make it hard for other teams to prepare for. Until Draper, Davies or Murphy demand a spot in the team, Chappy is likely to have to spend the majority of his time in the backline.

While I agree that having 2x Matt Johnson would be ideal, I think short spurts of Switta, Jackson and Johnson inserted into the main 4 of Fyfe, AB, Serong and Young gives us a lot potential combinations that will make it hard for other teams to prepare for. Until Draper, Davies or Murphy demand a spot in the team, Chappy is likely to have to spend the majority of his time in the backline.
Sharp has already proven that he is a running machine plus can kick goals.
Brayshaw, Johnson can play mid/wing. Brayshaw has elite endurance.
NOD would have to be dominating at Peel, but would be cherry ripe if required.
Many on here wanting only the forward flank involvement for rotations.
Clarkson at the Hawks rotated Mitchell from mid to half back, Hodge the
same.
Sure if they can actually impact scoring, but resting players besides the bench
has no place in the modern game.

You lost me with this last paragraph, are you saying we shouldn’t have players with secondary roles?
Yes, players who can actually play dual roles.
You can maybe pinch hit, surprise tactic or Hail Mary.
But someone like Will Brodie either dominates midfield or we are in strife.
His endurance and minutes definitely impacted his game.
He’d be one the first subbed, so barring injury is he a lock for best22?
The reality is that Cooper Simpson is dual positional already and won’t be
long before he replaces JOM, Brodie.
He may start forward but it won’t end there.
Guys like Erasmus, Johnson, Simpson, Young. Chapman, even Brayshaw to
wing offer more long term.
Then you have Treacy, Jackson, Cox and it’s why Tabs is on borrowed time.

Yes, players who can actually play dual roles.
You can maybe pinch hit, surprise tactic or Hail Mary.
But someone like Will Brodie either dominates midfield or we are in strife.
His endurance and minutes definitely impacted his game.
He’d be one the first subbed, so barring injury is he a lock for best22?
The reality is that Cooper Simpson is dual positional already and won’t be
long before he replaces JOM, Brodie.
He may start forward but it won’t end there.
Guys like Erasmus, Johnson, Simpson, Young. Chapman, even Brayshaw to
wing offer more long term.
Then you have Treacy, Jackson, Cox and it’s why Tabs is on borrowed time.
So you want more players with dual roles?

So you want more players with dual roles?
Long term yes. Reality is that Fyfe , Walters, Tabs, won’t be around forever.
Still plenty of questions with Sturt, Brodie, JOM, NOD.
Will be interesting to see how they manage players, deal with sore or injured.
Cats rest Dangerfield, seems like we have a top 30 so why not rotate?

It's easy to forget the player Serong was compared to the most in his draft year was Robbie Grey due his ability to play forward and mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasn't he won goal of the year?
In his first year from memory. Its easy to forget when he first came into the afl side he played mostly half forward with only brief periods onball. He was only moved to a more prominent onball role once we got some injuries and then he had a brilliant game tagging Dangerfield and winning plenty of football himself so he's played onball pretty much since then.

If Chappy's injuries persist could Draper make a case to replace Chappy or perhaps Williams? If the Treacy experiment up forward doesn't work could he potentially take Chappy's role down back until we can target someone like Curtin?

If Chappy's injuries persist could Draper make a case to replace Chappy or perhaps Williams? If the Treacy experiment up forward doesn't work could he potentially take Chappy's role down back until we can target someone like Curtin?
I know it’s not that exciting but it will be Aish.
He’s a much better player in 2024 than some Cat B rookies yet to play a game.

They will shuffle it around and adjust.
Expect the back 6 (plus one IC) to be
Pearce
Cox
Ryan
Clark
Wagner
Aish
Walker.

No way Williams is in the picture and I doubt draper is either. Hughes and Mcdonald would be well ahead of both.

Not sure a freo fan exists who thinks Wagner should be selected ahead of Clark or Young (who will be in the midfield anyway).
There is plenty of room in the side for all 3 of them

There is definitely room for Clark and Young but only one of Wagner or Walker not both. If you want both you need to push out someone like Aish. (Note this debate started before Chapman got injured so I’m including him in the side). People need to realise that adding someone pushes someone else out of the side. Given everyone wants all the midfielders in the team, there is only room for 7 backs, 8 mids and 7 forwards with possibly one of the forward positions taken by a mid rotating forward.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope people are ready for when Hughes and Banfield are in the team for Rd 1. It's gonna happen.

I agree, even though Simpson has shown a lot through the preseason. Even though I expect it, I can feel the creep of stubborn numbness coming towards me when I consider the team selection for round 1.

I agree, even though Simpson has shown a lot through the preseason. Even though I expect it, I can feel the creep of stubborn numbness coming towards me when I consider the team selection for round 1.
As good as he’s been, it would be a sad indictment on our list if he’s already ahead of Emmett, JOM, Sturt and Erasmus for a forward or forward mid role.
Amiss, Treacy/Tabs, Jackson, Walters and Frederick are all locks, the other 5-6 are competing for 2 spots.

I hope people are ready for when Hughes and Banfield are in the team for Rd 1. It's gonna happen.
Ryan Reynolds Insult GIF by The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

we're playing Brissie R1. You can afford to give a kid a crack in the forward line, but no way do you throw someone in the deep end down back for that kind of a game. Expect Hughes is first up for Chappy's spot to take on one of the dangerous McCarthy/Cameron/Rayner/Bailey.

We've got too many mids competing for spots anyway so I would just rest one of them up there whether Caleb/Ras/JOM. Not like Swita kicks a lot of goals each week that need replacing.

My R1

Clark Pearce Ryan
Hughes Cox Aish
Sharp Young Brayshaw
Frederick Treacy Walters
Jackson Amiss Sturt

Darcy Fyfe Serong

Johnson JOM Walker Ras

Sub- Banfield

Of our best 7 backs, Chappie is replaced by Hughes. Knows the plan, experienced. We're playing a grand finalist. Lock down of of McCarthy/Cameron/Raynor/Bailey

Of our best 7 forwards, Swit replaced by a mid/forward (which is similar to what he was anyways). JOM knows where the goals are, Ras demon can tackle hard. Banfield to super sub as most versatile, experienced sub, and kicks most of his past goals late in the game as a sub.

If we want a good start against Brissie, IMO we need our most experienced and best side out there against an experienced and form side. Newbies would get pumped in such a game and disappear if Brissie controls the game. It's not conservative, just common sense.

Last edited:
As good as he’s been, it would be a sad indictment on our list if he’s already ahead of Emmett, JOM, Sturt and Erasmus for a forward or forward mid role.
Amiss, Treacy/Tabs, Jackson, Walters and Frederick are all locks, the other 5-6 are competing for 2 spots.

Agree to an extent, and there is another part of me that wants us to be a team that rewards form.

I don't think JOM is a lock round 1 due to conditioning coming back from his injury. I also don't think we want him coming in for a speedy forward.

If Sturt is in the team I will be happy, though I want him in more than not fitness depending. His ability to kick to the lead adds class to our ball movement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back