Review Port Adelaide vs Fremantle - Trial Match 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

CRACKING DAY CANT GET MUCH BETTER DAY

HINKLEY TELLING PLAYERS NOT TO LEAD TO THE BALL AND BUTTERS TO STOP GOING HARD

* THIS GUY

Yeah , that was weird about our forwards. Mids bashing into each other, seems like he’s trying to coach the hardness out of the mids.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seemed like they scored easily despite our dominance

It’s a trade-off we have been willing to make for quite awhile. It’s quintessential Hinkleyball.

Our forward press leaves the defense open. We know it. So, most counterattacks will be deadly.

However, the bet we make is that the opposition won’t beat our press often enough to win the game. That’s also why we attack defensively.

Death through 10k paper cuts.

It has been proven time and time again that such a style doesn’t do well in Finals. Yet, here we are…

I think it was Vic journo Rohan Connolly who suggested our 4 traded players were B graders at best, and C or D graders at worst.

Going by tonight's game he may have undervalued Esava and BZT a tad, but unfortunately he may be right on the money with Soldo in particular, who has been disappointing in both trial games.

I'm still not sure about Sweet though, he does appear to have a better football brain than Ivan but in the long run that may not mean much at all and I suspect we will have to play both of them to be a chance against better oppo than Freo, particularly against someone like eg Max Gawn where using them in tandem will almost certainly be necessary.

The above aside I'm of the opinion both will only be keeping the seat warm for Visentini who I believe has a much higher ceiling than either of them.

Reckon we looked every bit a team with the same head coach for 12 years. They honestly look so uninvigorated. We will make finals and win plenty of H&A because stability, but still wont get it done when it counts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was Vic journo Rohan Connolly who suggested our 4 traded players were B graders at best, and C or D graders at worst.

Going by tonight's game he may have undervalued Esava and BZT a tad, but unfortunately he may be right on the money with Soldo in particular, who has been disappointing in both trial games.

I'm still not sure about Sweet though, he does appear to have a better football brain than Ivan but in the long run that may not mean much at all and I suspect we will have to play both of them to be a chance against better oppo than Freo, particularly against someone like eg Max Gawn where using them in tandem will almost certainly be necessary.

The above aside I'm of the opinion both will only be keeping the seat warm for Visentini who I believe has a much higher ceiling than either of them.

Meanwhile the PAFC match report had this to say about our new recruits...

Port Adelaide’s aggressive trade period seems to be paying off already, with great performances from all four new faces. Ivan Soldo started the first quarter hot, kicking the opening goal and amassing 10 hit outs, a strong application for the position of the number one ruck come Round 1, whereas Brandon Zerk-Thatcher collected 12 touches and nine marks. Jordon Sweet showed signs of intensity and smarts with 11 hit outs, while Esava Ratugolea was rested in the fourth quarter after eight marks and a team high seven intercept possessions.
Obviously Joe Walker's definition of a 'great performance' differs from the general consensus. Who the hell is Joe Walker anyway?

The new recruits were not terrible and may improve but like you '54 I am not sure they are capable of lifting us above our 2023 level.

I commented on FB that it was awesome to see we have stuck to the bomb it long to the forwards game plan......

I got this as a serious reply......
"that is exactly the point... Get it in as quick as possible and run the opposition off their feet . Then press forward and lock it in. The plan isn't to mark the ball in the forward 50, it's to bring it to the ground."

All these years I thought the idea was to get the ball to a forward in space so we could have shots at goal......

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, well…

IMG_6880.jpeg

Could say the same about McStay, Hill, Frampton. Worked out ok for the Pies.

Last edited:
Have not seen the game but reads like played the traditional port Adelaide way: long and strong, hard at the contest and big players to mark or bring ball to ground with a few elite finishers.

Mead has to play round 1.

I know midfield is by far his best position and we're settled there (Butters, Rozee, Drew, Wines, JHF with Houston rotating through as well at times).

However, he was near on best on ground last night.

Unbelievably clean, tough and should have for sure put his hand up for a round 1 selection with this preseason form.

21 disposals
95 % DE (best for Port)
8 contested (5th most for Port)
8 marks (5th most for Port)
5 tackles (2nd most for Port)

Some of his handball work in tight was something I haven’t seen sans peak Wines or Butters in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Not sure in a rea game we can play all of Soldo, Sweet, Dixon, Lord in the same team and maintain the right balance.

Assume Finlayson is in for one of those but will be interesting to see how the selection committee see it.

Thought the hit-out was fine all in all for a pre season run. Issue as many have said is we've seen this movie a thousand times before, 80 gazillion forward entries for every score. I do not for the life of me see how, if we don't have any finals success this year, this game-plan and kens coaching isn't finally addressed in the media.

Think the list is in good shape, think the backs looked to gel more and more as the game went on, early days but thought it looked good. Ratagulea grew into the game and looked to tandem well with Aliir, BZT looks that dour, body on the line lockdown, and looked to play that role well. Big potential improvement on the last few years.

Midfield, with Butters back and JHF continuing his growth will be top 5, if not top 2. Not sure whether JHF will ever be a 30-35 possie player, but the 20-25 that he hopefully eventually gets week in week out will be extremely damaging and bring people through the gates.

Thought Rozee had much more a captains game, led the mids, tackled hard....was a solid pass for mine.

Still lacking a serious damaging forward presence. Lord has been a non entity last couple weeks, Georgy would be ahead for me, Charlie is old, sore, s*it kick and is too visually symbolic of uncle festers crap game-plan. Todd should kick 50 and Rioli plays his role very well. But we're lacking something up there.

Would love to see Georgiades break back into the side, and Visentini get game time again this year, huge wraps on him, love what he brings.

Based on the same list with improvements, the same strategy, i could see us as finalists again, even top 4, finals success?? Depends how scared we are

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Got bored and went to bed, same game style, so nothing to get overly excited about.

Freo badly missed some key players, particularly up forward. This makes it difficult to judge the new defensive line up. As a casual observation, I did think it worked well. I’m not sure if Burton is a better option than Mackenzie, I suppose Burton can play on smalls/utility forwards though. Surprised to see Burton as the leading disposals for Port, as I thought he burnt it a lot.

Disappointed with the senior players and coaching staff not getting around Burgoyne when he made a couple of frantic mistakes. This is all too common with senior Port players for some reason. A quiet word may have settled him down.

Can see Port going 5-0, but they still won’t get rated by anyone in the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back