Review Port Adelaide vs Fremantle - Trial Match 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

He found his feet and good on him. His ceiling is high. I know that so far he's only teased but patience grasshoppers
It's a bit crazy the negativity he cops for a 3rd year player picked so deep in the draft. He's come along great so far. He plays 20 games and develops a bunch this year and it's a real bonus for us.

Solid hit out min injuries apart Zac . Hayden Young BOG, Freo got a g pretty good mid group. and ruck. Defense for us was pleasing. Mead good should get his chance. Wtf Burton kicking was terrible. Mix bag from Soldo, Sweet better. Most ok but really never pushed, so hard to judge. At least better pre form then last yr.

Well done Mead great game today!
McEntee building nicely to Round 1 on fire today.
I thought McEntee was exceptional. Played a near faultless game. That's three strong weeks in a row.
Rioli and Mead too.

If Burgoyne can gain in confidence and improve his composure and kicking, we might have a very good wingman on our hands.

Wines, Boak, Drew, Rozee and JHF were great.
BZT played a reliable game.

Sweet and Soldo did ok. Darcy had his way with the hit-outs early, but both were good around the ground and took more marks in one game than Lycett took in almost 5 years.

Dixon frustrated me by refusing to lead. He could have kicked 6 if he had led at the ball when we were streaming forward instead of trying to duck out the back. Far too much footy still gets channeled through him.

Marshall didn't do enough and Lord has started the year off too quietly. On current form, Georgiades will be back in front of him in no time and Scully might even overtake him before too long.

Jones came good after a shaky first few contests. Farrell looked sharp and speedy. Burton did lots of nice things but his turnovers were costly. Houston quality.

Frustrating as it was at times, there was a lot of good about the way we went about it, and a number of players are in better form than I expected at this time of year (McEntee, Mead, Boak, Burgoyne, Farrell, Wines especially). My biggest gripe is that our tall forwards don't make enough of the chances they have.

Lacked a decent avenue to goal, almost every utility was disappointing.

Best
Rozee - lead like a captain
Houston - controlled transition, very clean
Rioli - we finally have a small forward
JHF - competed like a beast
Wines - competed almost as well as JHF
McEntee - had to get a mention, played a great first half. Genuinely looks like he's improving.

Serviceable
Farrel - did okay
Jones - bad early, good late
Drew - 👍🏼 drew thumbs up 👍🏼
Aliir - just warming up I'm sure
DBJ - not bad at all
Boak - busy, not bad.
Ratugolea - might be ok once we have cohesion
Mead - won't make it into best 23 but nice kid
BZT - did enough and an improvement on Jonas
Burton - struggled early, disposal was off tonight

Missing
Sweet - second rate ruckman, might be serviceable but will get beaten and embarrassed if we're forced to use him

Soldo - I see why we keep playing two ruckman. Neither will cut it as a lone ruckman

Lord - didn't get near it

Evans - McEntee > DBJ > one of the draftees > Evans

Marshall - eesh.

Disappointing
Dixon - hobbled around, planted in the goal square and missed a lot of opportunities. Too old too slow. Probably biased bcos I don't like him generally. The lack of Marshall and Lord presence made him look serviceable but reality is none of our tall forwards made any impact.

Bergman - poor disposal, wasn't played in his best position

Burgoyne - lacked confidence early, improved as the game went on but disposal was poor and pushed off the ball/went to ground too often.

Lord only played a bit more than a quarter in terms of game time according to the stats, so there is a reason he wasn't seen much lol.

No wonder BZT looked cooked - he had like 94% TOG. For the record - i didn't mean he looked cooked as in he was terrible. He was pretty solid. I meant cooked as in tired.

Dixon frustrated me by refusing to lead. He could have kicked 6 if he had led at the ball when we were streaming forward instead of trying to duck out the back. Far too much footy still gets channeled through him.
Did you see the pre game segment with Ken mic'd up at training? He literally gave someone a dressing down for leading lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wondering about why Sinn wasn't in the team. Injured? Rotated or still not part of the 22?
Seem to be easing him in. Certainly wasnt a cut above when they played him against crows reserves which was an indication he's still got some building to do. Wasn't surprised to not see him picked. They'll wait for him to find form in the sanfl before throwing him into the mix. Fingers crossed for a good start to the year

Very Ken Hinkley football club to lose the last quarter instead of winning by ten goals.

Still, some positive performances particularly down back and from some of the fringe smalls.

I’ve send this to RussellEbertHandball at 3QT:

Freo looks as if they don’t want to play anymore. Port destroys such teams.

We will probably turn off in Q4 as well. We switch off during regular season! Imagine in preseason… (Although I don’t mind happening in preseason.)

I’m usually against running up the score, but we haven’t been unable to switch gears again when opposition tries to reduce the damage.

It’s so obvious that it cannot be called a prediction.

It's a bit crazy the negativity he cops for a 3rd year player picked so deep in the draft. He's come along great so far. He plays 20 games and develops a bunch this year and it's a real bonus for us.

It was last year too, he played well in the pre-seasons but mysteriously fell out of favour and off to the Gulag $anfl.

Earn ya strips so to speak. Either way we lost a year in his development. Better late than never but sheesh

what did he do wrong after last yrs pre-seasons... get ahead of himself ? because he knows he's good.

Well guess what, he is.

Mead good as well and Jones had his moments.

That goal, bowling club pocket from Trav, it was our night alright and why not.

AFL game under lights Alberton and a win... pick the bones out of that.

rozee mentioned butters tweaked his ankle a couple weaks ago, now he has tweaked it again. im abit woried about him
I wouldn't be. Looked fine last week. Ankle tweaks rarely miss a week, let alone multiple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back