Autopsy The started-before-half-time All Time Insipid #norfball performance v. the team down the highway who shall not be named

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm aware this is an overwhelmingly negative take. But it's a feeling I've had growing all year, particularly since Good Friday.

I feel that LDU has been mentally broken by years of constant losses and absolutely appalling leadership. The same as Scott - they are both having stinkers, and have generally been poor this year. In LDUs case especially, it seems mental. Promising juniors that have received zero nourishment for years; it's not surprising they're pretty done and fed up.

I don't see how this club is fixed without solving the senior leadership crisis. We can't just wait for the kids to grow up without doing anything else. Sheezel, Wardlaw, Duursma, McKercher, Comben and all the rest will just become more LDUs and Scotts.

The cycle will continue unless something breaks it. But I don't know how we can do that. I think the club might be broken.

This is sadly the truth, I fear we have entered a Melbourne/Bulldogs esque era of perpetual failure, we'll be lucky to sneak a flag in the next 50 years. Our youngsters are doomed.

So we spend all pre-season running and recruiting Stephens and Fisher for run.

Oh hang on you actually have to lay a tackle in this contact sport.

Well deary me looks like we're going to have to capitulate every game for another year.

Don't worry about getting in the gym, just let the opposition break every single tackle and do as they please.

So glad this football club has spent 4 years at the bottom thinking about how to get back to the top, they really are ahead of the game in their forward thinking.
I would be willing to overlook their contested abilities if they were able to find space and help us open the game up but it is same old NORFBALL, stagnant movement from half-back. So essentially they are useless and we are playing 2 contested players down, hence getting smashed in contested ball every week, something we were at least half-decent at last year. We have regressed terribly and I'm buggered if I know how the club is going to redress it.

He’s carried the midfield for 3 seasons straight for barely any success, and at some point it becomes all too much.
Yeah, my gut is that it's mental. Everyone noted (without much concern, for some reason?) that he didn't seem to be trying very hard in the pre-season either. He's just checked out. I don't blame him, but neither do I see how we fix things without (checked-in) him.

I'm aware this is an overwhelmingly negative take. But it's a feeling I've had growing all year, particularly since Good Friday.

I feel that LDU has been mentally broken by years of constant losses and absolutely appalling leadership. The same as Scott - they are both having stinkers, and have generally been poor this year. In LDUs case especially, it seems mental. Promising juniors that have received zero nourishment for years; it's not surprising they're pretty done and fed up.

I don't see how this club is fixed without solving the senior leadership crisis. We can't just wait for the kids to grow up without doing anything else. Sheezel, Wardlaw, Duursma, McKercher, Comben and all the rest will just become more LDUs and Scotts.

The cycle will continue unless something breaks it. But I don't know how we can do that. I think the club might be broken.
you break the cycle by dropping your captains as an example.
Coaches need to show we will not tolerate shit performance anymore, it doesn't matter who you are. everyone is now on notice..
Move sheez in the middle we are stuffed anyway..

Corr, stephens an fisher are other examples of poor performance that should be dropped.. Yes the cupboard is bear, but need to set the tone, moving forward.

time for gardening…

I don't think you can drop everyone, but a few more statements at the selection table wouldn't hurt.

At the moment, there's probably only 5 or 6 who are absolute locks and then the others you pick because there's no-one else. Phillips seems to be doing well in the VFL so maybe he comes in. The cupboard is bare otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it though?

It's just going to exacerbate the underlying instability that's probably the biggest problem of all.
So dropping the same blokes every time and letting the ‘leaders’ play like shit week after week is enforcing standards?

I come in Peace. Just on Clarko, as ive discussed with a Nth mate of mine, at the Hawks, Clarko had the luxury of unreal drafts, early picks, that got him the likes of Rioli, Buddy, Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Roughead, stars, that went onto win 3 premierships for him. He has not had that at Nth, its lot harder now. drafts are more even, tougher. Also , whose the genius who thought of this fixture, a young team v an old very experienced team on old teams home deck, where they know every blade of grass.?? This match should have been at Marvel at least. .

I come in Peace. Just on Clarko, as ive discussed with a Nth mate of mine, at the Hawks, Clarko had the luxury of unreal drafts, early picks, that got him the likes of Rioli, Buddy, Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Roughead, stars, that went onto win 3 premierships for him. He has not had that at Nth, its lot harder now. drafts are more even, tougher. Also , whose the genius who thought of this fixture, a young team v an old very experienced team on old teams home deck, where they know every blade of grass.?? This match should have been at Marvel at least. .
It's Geelong's home game. It'll always be in Geelong. I can't remember a season where we didn't have a game there.
Not sure that the venue would make any difference though.

Geelong have essentially rested Hawkins and Dangerfield, treating this week as the bye.

Midfield has turned to a mess even though that was meant to be our strength. Can’t get a clearance. Might have something with xerri having no tap craft and continuously taking it out of the ruck.
Can’t stick any tackles.
Forward line gets a pass this game.
Combden and biggie been good down back but it’s all those tried players that are just plodders and fumbly.

But it’s the result we expected.
So I’m not as livid as everyone else.
HOWEVER next week on our own deck against hawks we just have to show some competiveness!

Midfield smashed. Absolutely smashed. It’s a mess in there.

LDU looks disinterested to me. He’s had enough of the smashings. Drops his head repeatedly. Is he injured? Still gets the ball though.

I have no idea how many times we turned the ball over by foot, must have been 15-20 times. I literally don’t remember one from Geelong.

We’d be fkd without Harry, desperately needs Wardlaw to get up to speed.

Fordy terrific IMO

Dursma might need a rest.

Sellers couldn’t get near it.

Biggy was good, needs more games.

• Keep Drury in & forward for the next month at least.
  • Deflating fixture with an extremely hard first five rounds to cop.
  • Simpkin’s disposal is an absolute liability/broken link in our forward movement chain when he’s playing at half forward.
  • We need 2 or 3 more Sheezel’s
  • Where is Duursma at?
  • Can only hope Sellers Larkey-esque 0 possession debut means we end up with another gun key forward. Deflating for the kid. *Got a possie since I wrote this half way through the last.
  • Speaking of Larkey, damn he must be getting frustrated.
  • If Zurhaar goes, he goes. I love Ford & Curtis in our forward line. Great game from Elvis.
  • Though Biggie had a pretty good game.
  • Plenty to work with having Chom in the backline. Stays fit & he could be an AA backman.
  • Our disposal from senior players is absolutely woeful. From everyone, but especially the older guys who often completely ruin a chain of play with a shit kick or handball, often straight bloody to an opposition player.
  • We will be bottom of the ladder in a few hours.
  • We will win comfortably next week though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back