Review Round 6, 2024 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Resting Dixon when Lord and Finlayson wasn’t available was a dumb idea. Particularly given Sweet and Soldo couldn’t take a contested mark.

If you’re going to keep bombing to the wing, at least have someone who can take a big contested mark. The dumb game plan wasn’t matched to match selection.

It's hard to isolate individual performances when every last one of these pissweak pricks went to water for an entire half. Every touch was a fumble, every possession a brain-dead hack down to a contest. Every contest was a loss. And yet still goals over the back every 5 minutes.

Nevertheless I'll try:
Soldo - weak as piss.
Sweet - built like Tarzan played like Jane. The umps didn't do any favours, when he beat the other ruck in a battle of strength they'd give a free.
Jones - limp dick performance. Couldn't get near it.
Rozee - fell over like he had Dixon's boots on.
Butters - absolutely disappeared when it mattered.
Drew - worst I've seen him play for a long time.
Rioli - big fan but that was pus.
Wines - just a hack. Seems to make our midfield worse.
I'm not sure we can play BZT, rat and aliir in the same backline. One of them has to leave. Imo that's rat.
Houston - worst game for 2 years

I'm bored they were all s**t.

JHF tried. Jase Burgoyne was good. Why the heck hasn't he been in the team all year. He's not a twos player.
That's about it.

LOL, my lot is the other team that started in 67, and i've been on board for all but the first few years, so I dont even have that comfort. Then add Everton in the EPL, 'nuff said.

Makes performances like todays more manageable but just to be on the safe side, do check in with me on RUOK day ;).
I too am a lifelong Port Adelaide and Everton fan, watch us lose to Forest at home tomorrow night!

Resting Dixon when Lord and Finlayson wasn’t available was a dumb idea. Particularly given Sweet and Soldo couldn’t take a contested mark.

If you’re going to keep bombing to the wing, at least have someone who can take a big contested mark. The dumb game plan wasn’t matched to match selection.
Dixon playing would have made no meaningful difference. Our mids got massacred. We lost contested ball by 40. We need to figure out why the gap between our mids’ best and worst is so enormous.

I'm not against two ruck combos however they need to be players that compliment each other not two lumbering dinosaurs, it ended in the obvious way anyone sane knew before the game Sweet in the sub vest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring in an additional ruckman fine but youd think anyone with half a brain would plonk our main ruck for the first 6 weeks as our starting ruck and not full forward and we got the vice versa. Soldo having NFI what to do on Moore.
Might as well of debuted Scully at least it would of been an experience for him and a natural forward

Burgoyne was gassed by the last quarter

JHF keeps on going and running when everyone else stops

You look at the flair of McCreerey Hill and Elliot then you look at McEntee Rioli and DBJ respectively and laugh. Tommy A has the flair but isnt ready yet

Whos idea was it to go balls deep into Ratagoulea when McKay was avaliable

+41 contested possessions to Collingwood.

De Goey 15 contested possessions vs Horne-Francis 13
Daicos 15 contested possessions vs Rozee 9
Mitchell 14 contested possessions vs Wines 11
Cameron 11 contested possessions vs Soldo 6
Cox 8 contested possessions vs Sweet 2
Sidebottom 7 contested possessions vs Butters 8
Pendlebury 5 contested possessions vs Drew 5

That's -21 contested possessions just in the midfield.

Uncontested possessions +22 to Collingwood.

Daicos 16 uncontested possessions to Butters 26
Sidebottom 14 uncontested possessions to Horne-Francis 10
Pendlebury 12 uncontested possessions to Drew 11
De Goey 11 uncontested possessions to Wines 11
Mitchell 8 uncontested possessions to Rozee 9
Cameron 6 uncontested possessions to Soldo 3
Cox 2 uncontested possessions to Sweet 3

+4 uncontested possessions.

In other words, we held Butters on the outside (hence the 26 uncontested possessions) and only got a +4 advantage for it while Daicos and Mitchell cleaned up Rozee and Wines on the inside and got the ball out to other players. Says a lot that Butters had 15 possessions to quarter time, then only had another 16 across the other 3 quarters when Collingwood were on top.

Contested marks +4 to Collingwood. 13 contested marks to Port Adelaide's 9...that's +4 on Collingwood's average of 9 per game. Mason Cox had 4 contested marks. Sweet had 0. Dixon is good for almost 3 contested marks a game.

Inside 50s - 66 to 47. Remember that we averaged 62 inside 50s coming into this game. Again, showing that Collingwood had a midfield dominance.

Playing Dixon, Finlayson and Boak over Sweet, McEntee and Mead might not have won the game, but it would have given us a better contest. That first quarter was the worst thing that could have happened to that team because it made it seem like they would do Collingwood easy when they were always going to come back over the top after having a rest. And it's not surprising that Rioli turns to s**t as soon as there isn't a foil to play off of.

The game plan does not stack up

It never has stacked up and It will never stack up against the best.

We are wasting our time.

Why can’t the board see this.
Because we're making money and holding up our end of the TV rights deal, which are the only KPIs they care about.

Realistically, how many of the board are even Port supporters? It's probably not even a majority.

Nothing about this was lost at selection. It's not Sweet. Or McEntee. Or Dixon. Or Mead. Or whoever anyone wants to single out.
Actually the consistency is remarkable. Almost always beating bottom 10 teams. Almost never beating top 8 ones. For years. Irrespective of who we recruit. Get rucks, get tall defenders, have a superstar draft. It makes no difference. We'll whallop St Kilda next week, probably be 4th or so then lose to whatever premiership contender comes next.
Not bottoming out is good enough for the board. Ken's doing too well out of this to ever leave but he just doesn't have it in him to prepare a genuine premiership contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back