Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure 2 guys cut it? We've got issues with umpire numbers, allocating points, providing an even draw, checking salaries, clearances, junior footy participation, and how to get more juniors playing, clubs with reduced juniors, for what 4 leagues and two guys are supposed to look after it? Maybe country footy need to go back under their own name vcfl and run separately. The hubs has been a disaster throughout the state, footy is poorly run with leagues just handing over the keys to allow the afl to profit, but not many leagues

We've got issues with umpire numbers, allocating points, providing an even draw, checking salaries, clearances, junior footy participation, and how to get more juniors playing, clubs with reduced juniors, for what 4 leagues and two guys are supposed to look after it?

And what are they currently doing about those things? Can anyone name anything?

I maintain that with 76 hours a week available you should have all of that in hand with time to spare. Especially when clubs are the ones driving junior participantation anyway, the draw is a one off deal, clearances are automated, the salary cap doesn’t get audited and points are simple 90% of the time.

You have to be joking…… he’d probably want to speak to 99% of the rest of the club.
The players are already assigned to moving leagues, as is 99% of the club.

I thought after your EK comment over on the EDFL forum you might have wanted had to keep low for a few weeks Roota after you embarrassed yourself there, but obviously not

Get your head out of your ass, the BFL is a laughing stock right now, you could do the final ladder right now it’s that predictable.

I don’t know why they don’t just play a best of 13 Grand Final starting next week between Gisborne and Sandhurst, only option to bring any interest to the league for the remainder of the season.

Speaking of Sandhurst is it too that Tardew and Greene are both on $150 a game this year as they wanted to give back to there home club?
Not sure why Roota is copping strays here - frankly, your outburst is more embarrassing than asking to see the messages discussed in the EDFL thread.
There have been rumours of Gisborne joining the Ballarat comp for some time. Maybe it eventuates this time but I believe that there's still a bit to play out so most assertions should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure 2 guys cut it? We've got issues with umpire numbers, allocating points, providing an even draw, checking salaries, clearances, junior footy participation, and how to get more juniors playing, clubs with reduced juniors, for what 4 leagues and two guys are supposed to look after it? Maybe country footy need to go back under their own name vcfl and run separately. The hubs has been a disaster throughout the state, footy is poorly run with leagues just handing over the keys to allow the afl to profit, but not many leagues
There would be 6 league to be run by 2 people. Good luck with that.

There would be 6 league to be run by 2 people. Good luck with that.

In days gone by those 6 leagues were run by zero staff, all volunteers and everything was done by hand.

Results, reports, clearances, registrations, record notes and whatever else all written out by hand and delivered to someone who had to deal with it by hand.

Now registrations are done online, no hub involvement, results entered in real time and ladder, goal kickers etc calculated, no hub involvement. Clearances entered online and dealt with by clubs, no involvement unless there’s a dispute which is almost never.

So what exactly are they doing that is consuming all this time?

In days gone by those 6 leagues were run by zero staff, all volunteers and everything was done by hand.

Results, reports, clearances, registrations, record notes and whatever else all written out by hand and delivered to someone who had to deal with it by hand.

Now registrations are done online, no hub involvement, results entered in real time and ladder, goal kickers etc calculated, no hub involvement. Clearances entered online and dealt with by clubs, no involvement unless there’s a dispute which is almost never.

So what exactly are they doing that is consuming all this time?
I agree with you there looks to be to many people employed at AFL central vic but 2 people to admin 8 leagues ( including women’s football and Bendigo juniors)is a stretch.

The secretary of each league did the admin and was backed up an assistant secretary or other members of the league executive pre-hubs.

Not sure exactly what the role of the regional co-ordinators were - I am thinking more of a 'delegate to the VCFL' role but I could be wrong.

From memory there was a VCFL secretary (Mark Patterson? for a while) and an admin assistant based at VFL House.

I agree with you there looks to be to many people employed at AFL central vic but 2 people to admin 8 leagues ( including women’s football and Bendigo juniors)is a stretch.

I’d be really interested to know why it is a stretch?

Accept the junior grading weeks are hectic but currently being done by one employee aren’t they?

Like once the fixtures are done and everything is loaded into play hq, what does the day to day look like? What sort of tasks are the hub handling on a day to day basis?

Of course there were but that doesn’t suit the argument!

Im sick of the whining and hub bashing. Get to work at club land and make decisions to help yourselves

I understand why you don’t want the hub / corruption to cease as it suits 3 clubs and yours is one of them. I would be defending them to the hilt if I was involved at strath / square and sandhurst

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why you don’t want the hub / corruption to cease as it suits 3 clubs and yours is one of them. I would be defending them to the hilt if I was involved at strath / square and sandhurst

I’m not involved anywhere mate. I’m not defending them but also not incensently potting them either

Last edited:

I'm sure they want a 3 club comp? Makes the league really viable. why dont you guys tell us whats gone wrong on the field, it was top 3 after round 1? Youve got the most expensive side on the park in the bfl? What happened to the vfl alignment? Is singh still there and how much did you pay him?

I'm sure they want a 3 club comp? Makes the league really viable. why dont you guys tell us whats gone wrong on the field, it was top 3 after round 1? Youve got the most expensive side on the park in the bfl? What happened to the vfl alignment? Is singh still there and how much did you pay him?
You’re right Trent, they wouldn’t want a 3 team comp. But they don’t want their foothold on the comp threatened to much either.

Anyone know what the Addy constantly turns off comments on articles posted on Facebook these days? I saw an article today referencing Tardrew having 253 possessions on Saturday, but comments closed off.

Not sure why you are giving Castlemaine a whack Trent, they’ve been in every game at 3/4 time. Of course we’d love to have won a couple more but that’s a huge improvement by anyone’s measure. And I’d be very surprised if they are in the top six for spending in the league.

Anyone know what the Addy constantly turns off comments on articles posted on Facebook these days? I saw an article today referencing Tardrew having 253 possessions on Saturday, but comments closed off.

Because for some strange reason the Addy are company men. My guess is it’s because of the stats arrangement.

It’s early in the season and we don’t have the luxury of a corrupt system helping us - we are spending a little more but about half what you did to get up and going

253 possessions!!! Tardrew is good but not that good. He had 273 ranking points but I am wary of these type of stats and take little notice of them.

253 possessions!!! Tardrew is good but not that good. He had 273 ranking points but I am wary of these type of stats and take little notice of them.
Haha, yeah I’m the same with those stats. Fair play to those that do the them it’d be a very difficult job at local level with player identity. The only player capable of having 253 touches is the Prime Train 😜

Haha, yeah I’m the same with those stats. Fair play to those that do the them it’d be a very difficult job at local level with player identity. The only player capable of having 253 touches is the Prime Train
And it costs a fair whack of money to have the stats done. It's laughable and a waste of money.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Castlemaine and Mb issues start at juniors ideally the district leagues around them only have u18 or close to it.
If they scrapped their 11.5 and u14.5, both teams would have 2 teams in u14 and u16 and may even have 2 u12 teams.

That means they hopefully get success and juniors and they stick around.

Yes there is a statewide football issue it’s not isolated to BFNL but clubs also need to take ownership, South have taken steps towards this by relocated and it’s starting to help in their juniors with strong juniors.

Marong is a long way off junior wise they’re not in any A grade junior comps and only have 1 team in each to be successful at senior level you need to have 2 teams in the top each age group.
If you don’t you have the 22 kids that you have available not best 22 of 44.

Hence why gis, square.strath and sandhurst are always competitive although crazy youd love to hear sandhurst are trying to fill spots in their b teams.

For Maine and MB they will never be able to fill twos teams unless MCDFNL culls their junior programs.

MB could nearly have 3 teams if this was the case.

Not sure why you are giving Castlemaine a whack Trent, they’ve been in every game at 3/4 time. Of course we’d love to have won a couple more but that’s a huge improvement by anyone’s measure. And I’d be very surprised if they are in the top six for spending in the league.

Because for some strange reason the Addy are company men. My guess is it’s because of the stats arrangement.
Yep a bit hard on the maine forrest, but I think if you'd won 3 games, would you be complaining as much?

I'm pretty sure castlemaine, used to not treat their fringe senior players that well and over time many guys just ended up preferring going local into the mcdfl. You only have to look at how they treated their past 2 coaches going out, both premiership players to see the clubs got a long way still to go. That's not a hub issue is it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back