Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why you are giving Castlemaine a whack Trent, they’ve been in every game at 3/4 time. Of course we’d love to have won a couple more but that’s a huge improvement by anyone’s measure. And I’d be very surprised if they are in the top six for spending in the league.

Because for some strange reason the Addy are company men. My guess is it’s because of the stats arrangement.
Yep a bit hard on the maine forrest, but I think if you'd won 3 games, would you be complaining as much?

I'm pretty sure castlemaine, used to not treat their fringe senior players that well and over time many guys just ended up preferring going local into the mcdfl. You only have to look at how they treated their past 2 coaches going out, both premiership players to see the clubs got a long way still to go. That's not a hub issue is it?

Haha, yeah I’m the same with those stats. Fair play to those that do the them it’d be a very difficult job at local level with player identity. The only player capable of having 253 touches is the Prime Train 😜

And it costs a fair whack of money to have the stats done. It's laughable and a waste of money.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I realise it's trendy to only be negative on here but at least try and understand something before you pop off. These stats are the greatest tool country footy coaches have ever had. Not necessarily the possessions stuff the paper love but the other data is incredible.

And what are they currently doing about those things? Can anyone name anything?

I maintain that with 76 hours a week available you should have all of that in hand with time to spare. Especially when clubs are the ones driving junior participantation anyway, the draw is a one off deal, clearances are automated, the salary cap doesn’t get audited and points are simple 90% of the time.
Starting to think you got knocked back with a job application there?

And it costs a fair whack of money to have the stats done. It's laughable and a waste of money.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If you're not doing it you're losing engagement and falling further behind other leagues. It's not of interest to everyone but generates discussion & helps with exposure. Clubs wouldn't care too much for individual stats but the team stats stuff is definitely used by coaches and gives them data to back up what they're seeing when giving feedback to their teams

I realise it's trendy to only be negative on here but at least try and understand something before you pop off. These stats are the greatest tool country footy coaches have ever had. Not necessarily the possessions stuff the paper love but the other data is incredible.
What can't they see what's happening hank during a game?

The funniest thing I saw was a coach reading out stats at half time, 0 tackles inside 50 he roared not good enough, he failed to see there'd been only 1 inside 50, for the quarter.

Stats should only be used to back up with what you feel and see with your eye live, otherwise you turn into daniel hoye or Glenn luff who tried to use stats to draft players

The funniest thing I saw was a coach reading out stats at half time, 0 tackles inside 50 he roared not good enough, he failed to see there'd been only 1 inside 50, for the quarter.

Stats should only be used to back up with what you feel and see with your eye live, otherwise you turn into daniel hoye or Glenn luff who tried to use stats to draft players
Think you answered your own question, didn't see him say they can't see what's happening

Agree with the back up comment. Coaches get all of the opposition stats and vision - great insight into strengths, weaknesses, how they score, how they are scored against. I speak to a few coaches that use it and they love it.

Agree with the back up comment. Coaches get all of the opposition stats and vision - great insight into strengths, weaknesses, how they score, how they are scored against. I speak to a few coaches that use it and they love it.

Had access to it last season and it’s bloody brilliant. Not fool proof as players still hard to identify but it was still excellent to have access to so much data and vision

Off topic, but looking at PlayHq site every BFL club has 46 points from last round. Surely this has to be mistake because I thought I read there was no changes to points in most or if not all cases at end of last year. It appears to be the case since round one on closer inspection. How on earth could you possibly have Maryborough on level points with Sandhurst and Gisborne. Last year the differentials in both instances was 6. Square on 40 last year also.

Attachments

• Bendigo.JPG
    Bendigo.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Yep a bit hard on the maine forrest, but I think if you'd won 3 games, would you be complaining as much?

I'm pretty sure castlemaine, used to not treat their fringe senior players that well and over time many guys just ended up preferring going local into the mcdfl. You only have to look at how they treated their past 2 coaches going out, both premiership players to see the clubs got a long way still to go. That's not a hub issue is it?

I’ve been calling for change for 30 years, both officially and as a supporter, the scoreboard means nothing to me.

And it’s disingenuous to imply there’s a suggestion that the hub is to blame for every mistake a club makes (although I disagree with the assertions you make there about those instances anyway), because no one has ever suggested such a thing.

The hub is responsible for the health of the game in the region and right now it is terminally ill.

Starting to think you got knocked back with a job application there?

Probably fair given I’ve been leaning towards you working there for quite a while. 🤣

We agree on something!

The stats I take with a grain of salt but the vision is brilliant. I remember when it was introduced there was push back from every club about the cost but it has improved the game.

The next step should be giving clubs the opportunity to sell subscription memberships so people can live stream their games each week.

We agree on something!

The stats I take with a grain of salt but the vision is brilliant. I remember when it was introduced there was push back from every club about the cost but it has improved the game.

The next step should be giving clubs the opportunity to sell subscription memberships so people can live stream their games each week.
Keep it free forest

I do see the logic in this, but with the amount of scammers trying to get people to fall for this on social media nowadays, I can see it being a rather niche idea which wouldn't benefit clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep it free forest

Then you can’t do it at all because the clubs cop it on the gate, especially in poor weather.

I do see the logic in this, but with the amount of scammers trying to get people to fall for this on social media nowadays, I can see it being a rather niche idea which wouldn't benefit clubs.

Could be done like the SANFL and NT leagues where you subscribe via the paper.

The addy has the structure in place to do it already, you would subscribe to them and the streams would be hosted on their website behind their paywall. Each person subscribing nominates their club and that club gets a cut.

Then you can’t do it at all because the clubs cop it on the gate, especially in poor weather.

Could be done like the SANFL and NT leagues where you subscribe via the paper.

The addy has the structure in place to do it already, you would subscribe to them and the streams would be hosted on their website behind their paywall. Each person subscribing nominates their club and that club gets a cut.
Why would you subscribe to the Addy. Was once a proud part of Bendigo life and culture which had very good journos. Not even a shadow of its former self. Why would you pay to read a Nathan Dole article, bad enough reading the waffle for free.

Well what a weekend. Unfortunately wasn’t a great result for the club on the scoreboard after being comprehensively beaten by a dominant Sandhurst outfit. They will certainly be thereabouts come the end of the year.

As for our fellows, I and the club are really proud of them. Yes we were totally outclassed but our players commitment and effort could never be questioned. Our boys gave their all.

To all the pundits posting the result and carrying on, that’s great to make uneducated and ill informed statements but you weren’t there and didn’t see our fellows have a go. They can only give their best which they did.

To Sandhurst, thanks for hanging around and supporting our club. Many others have negative attitudes towards them but we cannot thank them enough for the help and support they have given us. Many other high performing clubs would not do this.

As for our club, we are way off the mark as everyone knows and as per my previous posts our club is facing a lot of challenges. We are financially sound, have good community and business support. Our challenge is attracting the right players at the right price. Unfortunately that is not an easy task despite our efforts.

Our club will continue through the season and will not close the doors despite what others think. What happens with our future will be discussed again at the end of the year and in a perfect world we would love to stay in the BFNL. Whether that happens I think that is open for discussion as we need to be realistic as we have at all times.

The bigger issue as I have stated many times is the football landscape around Maryborough. Too many clubs and don’t want to recognise the need for change despite numerous reports/ recommendations from former commissions, dwindling playing numbers, the same clubs struggling and a town like Maryborough having an older demographic, limited employment opportunities and a continued loss of younger people to the city for both work and study. Many clubs are happy to dominate year after year, shell out big coin to overrated and over hyped recruits and not consider the state of football and community sport in general across the region (cricket is suffering a similar fate).

We are very proud of all involved with the club and remind ourselves ‘the tough get going when the going gets tough.’ It certainly has been a mantra for our club in recent times.

Our club and people have character, high levels of integrity and determination to make things better. Eventually the tide will turn and we look forward to it but at this time there will be more hard times, we are sticking tight and determined to see things through.

On a positive note, our netball is flying and it is so good to see with our A Reserve team winning yesterday. It was fantastic to see but overshadowed by the senior football result.

Finally as has been mentioned the BFNL needs to be looked at and I hope this occurs. Our club has had good support from the league and whilst you always want more, I hope there will be a bigger picture look at football in the region. It is well overdue as seen by Saturday’s results.

I am sure some of the faceless posters will give their blunt and uninformed opinions but if you are not directly involved you really don’t understand the full situation. I guess that’s the joy of big footy to take pot shots using faceless names.

All the best to all and we will continue to be open and transparent with our happenings as we believe this is the best approach. Further updates will be provided.
I’m sorry

Rarely do I post but having read this I must
I’m not trying to kick a club when it’s down but some of what you have written here is just plain wrong
Maryborough footy club, quite simply, does not have the support of the local community or businesses
You need to be honest and ask some tough questions why this is the case
As for the old chestnut of too many local clubs, again that’s just garbage
Carisbrook, Dunolly , Natte, Talbot and now the Giants are local clubs who have a hundred years of support
And they flourish
Why?
Because they work hard, they make people feel welcome, they are inclusive and they attract families and people because they do these things
They nurture their juniors, they keep their local families and they care for their people
Saying they pay massive coin for overrated players is just downright rude and also incorrect
Are these so called overrated players only so because they don’t play at your club?
These are the reasons Maryborough are where they are, not any of the excuses you have regurgitated
Even the fact of the devastating defeat on the weekend was pushed to the third back page of the local paper hidden in the corner
Why?
Ask your club that
I hope you survive, but with the wow is me attitude you have I doubt you will
Instead of rubbishing the local clubs maybe learn from them
They got to where they are through hard work and passion
Carisbrook
Natte
Avoca
Talbot
Dunolly
Giants

These are the clubs you should be learning from not blaming for your plight

I’m sorry

I’m not trying to kick a club when it’s down but some of what you have written here is just plain wrong
Maryborough footy club, quite simply, does not have the support of the local community or businesses
Carisbrook, Dunolly , Natte, Talbot and now the Giants are local clubs who have a hundred years of support
And they flourish
Why?
Because they work hard, they make people feel welcome, they are inclusive and they attract families and people because they do these things
They nurture their juniors, they keep their local families and they care for their people
Saying they pay massive coin for overrated players is just downright rude and also incorrect
Are these so called overrated players only so because they don’t play at your club?
These are the reasons Maryborough are where they are, not any of the excuses you have regurgitated
Even the fact of the devastating defeat on the weekend was pushed to the third back page of the local paper hidden in the corner
Why?
Ask your club that
Carisbrook
Natte
Avoca
Talbot
Dunolly
Giants

Didn’t natte pay Dane swan $10k just a few days ago ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Didn’t natte pay Dane swan $10k just a few days ago ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Natte obviously saw the value in it. I saw a few photos of the day looked like a good crowd.
If clubs have passionate supporters who are happy to raise cash, let em spend it how they want.

Last edited:
And they flourish

LFG certainly doesn’t need me to speak for him but that’s just patently incorrect.

Clubs like Dunolly, Talbot, and the Bushy Park/Rovers entity have far from flourished in recent years.

Natte punches above their weight for sure but you wonder how long for with no junior base and Carisbrook seem to have a lot of money to spend.

LFG certainly doesn’t need me to speak for him but that’s just patently incorrect.

Clubs like Dunolly, Talbot, and the Bushy Park/Rovers entity have far from flourished in recent years.

Natte punches above their weight for sure but you wonder how long for with no junior base and Carisbrook seem to have a lot of money to spend.
Natte have a very strong junior base
As do Carisbrook

I’m sorry

And they flourish
Why?
Why?
Ask your club that
Carisbrook
Natte
Avoca
Talbot
Dunolly
Giants

So you don’t want to kick a club while they are down, yet you lay both boots in, with force.

I’m keen to hear your thoughts on how you claim the Giants flourish. They’ve been around for 5 minutes, off the back of 2 clubs joining together who unfortunately clearly weren’t flourishing. And they’ve employed one of the biggest mercenaries in local footy in recent memory as coach. Now before you start typing your next rant, I applaud them for having the courage to read the room, join forces and have a crack through a merger - but you can’t seriously claim they’ve flourished?

Questions guys (and girls).

As far as restructioning, Would it help if the following happened.

Maryborough stay in the BFNL and have just Carisbrook and Natte Bealiba as clubs in the MCDFNL.

Castlemaine stay in the BFNL and merge with Campbells Creek. Harcourt remains as MCDFNL club.

From afar, Maryborough seems like an older demographic town with business's closing down. It's an issue facing many communities across the country. It's prevalent here in WA.

Would Rochester ever want to come back? Would there be any Echuca teams willing to move?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back