Unofficial Preview Round 6: St Kilda Vs Brisbane - Westpac Stadium NZ @ 7:45 NZST

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing to consider is we may bring in savage given it's a NZ game. Good for PR to have a kiwi out there. Maister might see a return for the same reason, and given it's against Brissie with a lack of talls.

Leave Savage out, or as emergency. The best PR is to win.

Jack Billings hasnt made the 'best' so far this year in VFL... It's an overrated way to rate players games.

Really? Check the Saints website, he has been listed in the best THREE times (both Frankston games & the Box Hill game) If he hasn't been rated in the 'best' so far, it may be the skill or accuracy of this other rating scale you refer to, that is overrated.

Check the official ones that get sent into VFL, not ones from saints website and you'll find he isn't named. Saints add players to back up their articles.

Clearly the coaching staff at Sandringham and St Kilda rated his form, putting in the best three times and elevating him to the senior team based on this 'best' form. And adding players to the list of 'best' players to support a later article on that player, is a myth of tin foil wearing proportions.

It's one those mysteries we've found over the years... Few standouts not being named in there has always been bit odd.. Guess so much happens during game that coach(es) that do it can easily skip over somoene when asked 5mins after game!

And you don't think the mystery is of Sandringham not naming players who were in the best? They don't also have a policy that a third of the 'best' must be from Sandringham too do they?

Last edited:
Something I thought was a bit strange but within 5 minutes of Seb being subbed on he was puffing hard and looked to lack leg speed. Thought it was bizarre at the time and the only the I can think of is a huge adrenaline dump and just didn't judge the game/tempo right. Not saying he should be dropped necessarily just thought it was a bit strange.

Noticed that as well. But also noticed his chase on Essendon players he looked stationary. Appreciate as sub, hard coming straight in to a high tempo game, but he looked as slow as.

Really? Check the Saints website, he has been listed in the best THREE times (both Frankston games & the Box Hill game) If he hasn't been rated in the 'best' so far, it may be the skill or accuracy of this other rating scale you refer to, that is overrated.

VFL Official Best:
Round 1 Best Players: A. Cockie, M. Weller, J. Bruce, T. Lee, C. Shenton, T. Simpkin - http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124157685&c=1-118-0-294689-0&pool=1

Round 2 Best Players: A. Cockie, T. Simpkin, T. Milera, S. Ross, P. Flanagan, M. Weller - http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124157799&c=1-118-0-294689-0&pool=1

Sandringham
- http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=221
- http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=224

NO BILLINGS at all, you can even check our match reports on TrueZebras and you'll find no Billings in there either.

Clearly the coaching staff at Sandringham and St Kilda rated his form, putting in the best three times and elevating him to the senior team based on this 'best' form. And adding players to the list of 'best' players to support a later article on that player, is a myth of tin foil wearing proportions.

You realize the COACHES do the official best players dont you?

And you don't think the mystery is of Sandringham not naming players who were in the best? They don't also have a policy that a third of the 'best' must be from Sandringham too do they?

That is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read. Just as Squizzy, we've long debated on here the 'best' players. Don't even know why you are getting so upset about it all anyway. I pointing out fact that Savage wasnt named in the best doesnt actually mean he wasnt in the best or worthy of selection next week.

Selection needs to be a cut throat process. You lose your spot for whatever reason, being injury, form, tiredness, you then need to break back into the side. Whether you do that by being a better contender than the incumbent or you work your ring off at training and vfl it don't matter. You get your chance because of the above reasons, well then its your job to keep your mates out of the team. We can't be gifting spots because of place of birth, previous seasons reputation, or "to get games in". Pick the best side available for the day, the rest will sort itself out.

When do Sandringham play? If those who are travelling won't be playing for Sandy then I doubt immensely that we would be taking Sam over and then not playing him, as he needs to get games under his belt one way or another much more than he needs the experience of a trip OS, or anything like that, I would imagine. I doubt Gwilt will miss as he played the game out and l also expect Schneids to play, as that was just a love tap. If he misses a game for that and Merrett only missed two for a forearm to the head then there is something seriously wrong with the system!

Sunday vs Casey

I agree that Ross looks a bit slow, but I'm not sure he isn't suffering from "Dal Santo syndrome " - ie looks like he's not trying.
He had a contested disposal, a couple of tackles, a clearance. I'm not sure we can expect much more in 15 minutes.

Has anyone mentioned that Delaney was credited with a massive 9 1%ers.

Seb seems like the kind of guy who would have 4 touches a qtr for the first 3 and then roll through with 10 in the last qtr when everyone else starts getting a little sore.

He will come good. Just not a sub type player though.

Would like to see us take a few spares over:

- Simpkin incase Gwilt doesnt come up (Fisher should be getting game time in vfl, not wandering around wellington)
- Savage as the NZ face but emergency for game
- Weller in for Dunstan
- Dunnell in for Templeton also serves as back up incase a fwd pulls out
- Longer for the experience
- Gilbert & Baker-Thomas doing some media stuff
- Milera as emergency

Not to Take
- Lee, Fisher, Markworth, Murdoch, Holmes, Acres, Roberton: all need more game time and match fitness
- Minchington, Maister, TDL, Shenton, Siposs, White: probably not in selection window and should keep getting form up.
- Templeton and Dunstan need a few runs in the 2's / rest and keep the hunger for ANZAC Day footy burning. NEXT YEAR!
- Armo, Pierce, Wright doing rehab and getting better. Flying will not help that.

Leaves us with 4 spares in NZ incase of late withdrawal/illness/not coming up.

15 still at VFL level which continues the press for selection.

SUB candidates for game: Savage/Dunnell/Saunders/Milera.

If Ross and/or Weller play neither suit sub IMO

- Templeton and Dunstan need a few runs in the 2's / rest and keep the hunger for ANZAC Day footy burning. NEXT YEAR!
- Armo, Pierce, Wright doing rehab and getting better. Flying will not help that.
May I ask why Dunstan needs a week off?

In his Fifth AFL game he's averaging 21 disposals, 4.2 tackles and 5 marks. He looks calm and composed with the ball and is a good decision maker. He didn't have a poor game against Essendon he was just slightly quieter than usual.

Don't see why he should get cut when Saunders had the same issue a couple weeks back, didn't play badly but only had 10 disposals or so. Dunstan had 18 disposals which I'll take from a first year player any day.

His effort in the past four rounds grants him the honour to play on Anzac Day in NZ as he's thoroughly deserved it.

May I ask why Dunstan needs a week off?

In his Fifth AFL game he's averaging 21 disposals, 4.2 tackles and 5 marks. He looks calm and composed with the ball and is a good decision maker. He didn't have a poor game against Essendon he was just slightly quieter than usual.

Don't see why he should get cut when Saunders had the same issue a couple weeks back, didn't play badly but only had 10 disposals or so. Dunstan had 18 disposals which I'll take from a first year player any day.

His effort in the past four rounds grants him the honour to play on Anzac Day in NZ as he's thoroughly deserved it.

I know what you are saying but have seen alot of players bottom out because they have been played flat out at that age from round 1 and not given a break and almost disappeared for the rest of the season (Jack Viney last year). Just felt he was starting to tire a bit. Quite happy to be proven wrong and him rack up another 20 disposals and impact the midfield still.

Figure while we have the likes of Weller pushing selection it wouldnt be a bad option to give him a break and reward Weller. I see your point but would elevate Weller and take him over anyway.

I hope Armo is well enough to take the flight over, I'd feel sorry for any of them that miss the experience.

Delaney has been a ripper, I fully trust him to take Jonathan Brown. Why am I so confident? Because the defence is so team orientated right now, just look at them after the game, such a happy tight knit group.

Delaney and Bruce also do excellent work off the ball, push and shove, blocks and shepherds.

Who is our defensive coach again this year? Not Maxy anymore?

I noticed on game day when Richo was asked about Roo being another coach out there that he said he already had Schneider. Anyone else notice how smart his footy brain is? Points and directs people into position the entire game, constantly thinking, constantly coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know what you are saying but have seen alot of players bottom out because they have been played flat out at that age from round 1 and not given a break and almost disappeared for the rest of the season (Jack Viney last year). Just felt he was starting to tire a bit. Quite happy to be proven wrong and him rack up another 20 disposals and impact the midfield still.

Figure while we have the likes of Weller pushing selection it wouldnt be a bad option to give him a break and reward Weller. I see your point but would elevate Weller and take him over anyway.

Also seen a lot of players play most games from their debut and be turn out to be great players....

VFL Official Best:
Round 1 Best Players: A. Cockie, M. Weller, J. Bruce, T. Lee, C. Shenton, T. Simpkin -http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124157685&c=1-118-0-294689-0&pool=1

Round 2 Best Players: A. Cockie, T. Simpkin, T. Milera, S. Ross, P. Flanagan, M. Weller -http://www.foxsportspulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=124157799&c=1-118-0-294689-0&pool=1

Sandringham
- http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=221
- http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=224

NO BILLINGS at all, you can even check our match reports on TrueZebras and you'll find no Billings in there either.

You realize the COACHES do the official best players dont you?

That is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read. Just as Squizzy, we've long debated on here the 'best' players. Don't even know why you are getting so upset about it all anyway. I pointing out fact that Savage wasnt named in the best doesnt actually mean he wasnt in the best or worthy of selection next week.

he said the saints website:

Frankston 4.6 6.10 10.16 11.21 87

Sandringham 2.2 10.4 11.5 17.5 107

Goals: Billings 5, Lee 4, Dennis-Lane 3, Milera 2, Bennett, Weller, Shenton

Bests: Billings, Lee, Weller, Cockie, Cook, Shenton

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-05/billings-stars-in-zebras-win

Last year when I went over they took a few extra players by memory, Gwilt was injured at that time and he was doing the media interviews on their morning shows and radio etc., I see the same thing happening, no point putting your emergences to do that because if they need to play, would stuff up they weeks paten.
Gilbert, Baker-Thomas and maybe Pierce will do the media stuff, with maybe a few more guys to make the flight over to have the experience as well
Milney was suspended but can't remember if he went over!

Last year when I went over they took a few extra players by memory, Gwilt was injured at that time and he was doing the media interviews on their morning shows and radio etc., I see the same thing happening, no point putting your emergences to do that because if they need to play, would stuff up they weeks paten.
Gilbert, Baker-Thomas and maybe Pierce will do the media stuff, with maybe a few more guys to make the flight over to have the experience as well
While Saunders and Murdoch debuted.

he said the saints website:

Frankston 4.6 6.10 10.16 11.21 87

Sandringham 2.2 10.4 11.5 17.5 107

Goals: Billings 5, Lee 4, Dennis-Lane 3, Milera 2, Bennett, Weller, Shenton

Bests: Billings, Lee, Weller, Cockie, Cook, Shenton

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-05/billings-stars-in-zebras-win

I know what he said, but point is he wasnt named in the official best players that come out after the game. He was added to the Saints website article at a later date. Not sure why he's getting upset, the point still stands that you cant judge if player played well or not by just looking at the 'best'. But obviously thats gone over his head.

If sandy is playing sunday then they should take the whole club barring injured players they will be back by sat morning. They could have a light run in nz with the whole team.

They should have had Sandringham play their match earlier over in NZ against whoever they play. VFL/AFL double header for the NZ fans.

They should have had Sandringham play their match earlier over in NZ against whoever they play. VFL/AFL double header for the NZ fans.

would add extra costs. doubt sandi would cover it.

i think playing the NZ Hawks is better IMO, gets community involvement (i.e. families of those playing)

Weller... amassed 39 disposals, laid 10 tackles, registered eight clearances and booted three goals in a best on ground display that reaffirmed his case for a list elevation.
Surely it's time? That's not just good, that's Herculean.

If sandy is playing sunday then they should take the whole club barring injured players they will be back by sat morning. They could have a light run in nz with the whole team.
They won't be back by Saturday, apparently they have a family day clinic on the Saturday as well.
I can't see us taking heaps of extra players, just due to us playing hawthorn the Saturday after and there will be some sore bodies after NZ, so guys that are maybe pushing for selection, if they don't play, you don't want to give a week off, and may likely get a call up the week after,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back