Unofficial Preview Round 6: St Kilda Vs Brisbane - Westpac Stadium NZ @ 7:45 NZST

Remove this Banner Ad

You watch your mouth about beards... :cool:
It's Wellington - come midway through the third, most of the players will wish they had a beard. We could even see a few wearing one of these:

beard-hat.jpg

Serious danger game, even if we didn't have the two less days to recover.
Will need to be very professional this week in the lead up.

Lions have had a couple of bad losses, but no real shame in losing to Cats and Hawks. Port are better than Adelaide so a ~110 point defeat to them isn't so much worse than an 86 point defeat to the Crows.

Weren't we saying last week that the crows are easy to pressure and force the turnover from? Shouldn't make that mistake again. Once again we're playing a team with its back to the wall

Only change will be -
Savage IN
Ross OUT

Don't want to change the line up much, considering it was such a good win we had.
From what I heard Savage played pretty good, wasn't the best but did his job!
Also would look pretty stupid on St Kilda's behalf if he didnt play, considering we sent Savage over to promote the upcoming game and him being from New Zealand and all, and then he doesn't play? Wouldn't be the best thing to do if we're trying to enter that market! (Looking at it from New Zealand's prospective)

Only change will be -
Savage IN
Ross OUT

Don't want to change the line up much, considering it was such a good win we had.
From what I heard Savage played pretty good, wasn't the best but did his job!
Also would look pretty stupid on St Kilda's behalf if he didnt play, considering we sent Savage over to promote the upcoming game and him being from New Zealand and all, and then he doesn't play? Wouldn't be the best thing to do if we're trying to enter that market! (Looking at it from New Zealand's prospective)

While we're at it let's bring Maister in for billings.

I think Seb will get a full game this week, not sure who'll be sub. Can see Dunstan having the week off and Weller coming in

I think Seb will get a full game this week, not sure who'll be sub. Can see Dunstan having the week off and Weller coming in

You have a bad sense of humour if you think that!!
Why would you rest Dunstan for this game? The kid deserves to go over and experience that! He would think his done something wrong to be dropped for this game!
Can't see Weller coming in, his been doing a tagging role for sandy and if he comes into saints you have him, Curren and Jones that are run with players! Shenton is the guy we have to give a chance, see if he can handle AFL level!
Listening to SEN before and he came up with a good point on Ross, he has the skills and body to play but just a this point of time he reads the game slow, he takes his time kicking it thinking he has more time, Watson was the same early in his career and look how he turned out, was just a slower learner to the pace of AFL. The sub doesn't help but the coaches obviously think he was best suited to it for that game!

eli is one of the last people i want in the vest. he's punching out some serious miles. dropping him will seriously effect our run and spread and defencive efforts
I disagree. The past few weeks, I haven't seen Eli give a consistent four quarter effort, simply due to age and the short breaks. I watched the replay of last night's game, and he was rarely sighted after HT before getting subbed off. He definitely tried his heart out defensively and there's no issue with effort, just couldn't keep up. No tackles for the game, applied some pressure but wasn't really a stand out in this regard. I don't think he's absolutely vital to our structures and we do have others that can play a similar role.

Similarly, I think Dunstan's starting to show signs that he's slowing down but his output is still good enough to warrant a spot so I wouldn't be dropping him.

We're in an interesting situation where we've got quite a few putting their hands up in the VFL with good performances, but some of which (TDL and Milera mainly) aren't really part of the future so do we bring them in at the expense of a kid?

And just as an aside, i'd be disgusted if we brought in Savage purely for the NZ factor. There's no reason why he can't come along and do press, but if he wanted a spot in the team, he should have pulled his finger out weeks ago. Bad luck.

Is Maister from New Zealand?

Savage played OKAY in the Zebs, probably the best non-rookied player. And he's on NZ radio every single week, promoting the Saints and the AFL generally.

Sometimes a player's worth goes beyond how they can kick the pill. Off field, he's doing a fantastic job, working tirelessly for the good of the red, white, and black.

For mine, take Eli out and make him an emergency, so he can still go. The rest will do him good. Bring Sav in.

Oh, and I'd like us to take as many players as we can over. Obviously, we shouldn't leave the Zebs team hanging, but I see absolutely no point in any player playing in the Dev Squad this week. Fly them over, let them taste it.

Agree. He was solid though and did what coaches asked him to do. Turned it over few times, but if anyone has been to Eureka Stadium thats pretty common thing to do out there.
Generally common thing to do but that was by far the best conditions I've ever seen at Eureka Stadium. Not a drop of rain or breath of wind.

If Schneids gets no more than a reprimand, and Gwilt's right to go, then re-arranging the deck-chairs should be enough.
Eli as sub. Maximise the X-citement factor he brings to a big game. Dunstan in the forward-line for spark and footy-nous - less demands on his body.
Save the rookie upgrade for later, Eli may need it. With 3 rookies performing well (Templeton, Weller and Shenton) they may all get upgraded eventually.
We'll be trying to get AFL games into Milera, Dennis-Lane, Dunell, Siposs and Murdoch in a few weeks, if warranted, to see if they should stay next year.
Acres, Markworth and/or Lee may be ready to go by then too and could overtake them. The downside of pressure for spots is that the in-betweeners need to justify their places on the main list.

B: J.Bruce L.Delaney J.Newnes
HB: J.Webster J.Gwilt S.Dempster
C: F.Ray L.Hayes L.Montagna
HF: A.Schneider N.Riewoldt L.Dunstan
F: J.Saunders R.Stanley J.Billings
R: T.Hickey J.Steven T.Curren
I/C: J.Geary C.Jones S.Ross (E.Templeton)
Emerg: S.Savage S.Fisher T.Milera

Why do people think a player would think they did something wrong if they were dropped? None of these players are perfect and there are no guarantees.

So there is no reason why you cannot drop a player and ask him to go back and work on certain aspects of his game. Pretty sure that's what happened to Savage. Getting dropped isn't always a punishment.

I'm with Perse... give Eli a rest. He's been ok, but these kids need to be managed. we don't need a LTI like we have with a young X for example. Give Ross a full game.

Billing should still be fresh enough. Dunstan, who knows... vest?

How about barring injury/suspension no changes? Every guy in the team last night was up to scratch and that outfit just beat Essendon in a game where most were claiming we'd get flogged. Reward them and show some confidence in them and let those 23 guys go again.

EDIT: Although I agree about giving Seb a full game, maybe Eli the sub?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about barring injury/suspension no changes? Every guy in the team last night was up to scratch and that outfit just beat Essendon in a game where most were claiming we'd get flogged. Reward them and show some confidence in them and let those 23 guys go again.

EDIT: Although I agree about giving Seb a full game, maybe Eli the sub?
Exactly my thoughts.

Leigh Matthews on game day said he doesn't think Adam Schneider will get suspended.

There was very little in it and they were already grappling with each other, just a little 1 inch punch really. Reprimand i'm guessing.
I hope it's either nothing or just a reprimand, i think Schneider proved again how important he is when fit for us we'll need him.

If Sav gets a game just because he was born in NZ I will be spewing. Pretty sure he grew up here, not even a real kiwi.

I'd be happy with no changes, but that said:
Updated Stat:

Mav Weller had 39 disposals, 10 tackles, 7 marks, 3 goals and 181 dream team points for Sandringham on Saturday!!

View all the updated stats here - http://www.truezebras.com/round-3-match-review-convincing-win-by-sandringham/
There is pushing for selection and then there's beating down the door! Mav was an absolute beast at junior level, not surprised he's putting those sort of stats up in a 2nd tier comp coming into his 4th season. Expect to see him in Saints colours sooner rather than later, but it'd be rough to drop anyone for him this week.

Remembering last year's game, the ground is quite small, and the game became quite a physical slog. Sydney I know are that sort of team, but the game was tight and congested. Weller might be very handy in those circumstances. Armo is our bull in those sort of games, and we'll miss him.

I haven't really seen Weller, but imagine he is a strong physical sort of player. Especially if it is wet and windy. It is Wellington after all!

Team selection will be interesting this week, especially with regards to Savage, who I don't think has done enough to get another game yet on merit, especially as someone like Milera has probably earned a crack at it ahead of him, as Savage has already had a chance and pretty much blown it, while Terry hasn't had a crack this year . I definitely think Eli either goes back to Sandy or gets the vest and probably the latter, as it's almost the equivalent of a rest, which his low stats output this past two weeks suggests he may need. Seb Ross would be stiff to play a half a quarter and then go back to Sandy and he will be suited to the very small ground, so I suspect he plays a full game. Would be an ideal ground for Mav to play on, but I just don't see who would come out for him, unless it was Seb (TBH Mav is probably the stronger option at this stage, but Seb prolly gets first crack at it now that he's in before him) . Will be tempting to play Chips, as he just makes us so much better when he's playing and anywhere near his best (and I expect he will run riot if he's fully fit again if we have Delaney and Bruce in there holding down the key defensive roles, leaving Sam to go back to the intercepting/rebounding role he dominated in so often under Lyon), but it would be a great experience for the younger ones to play in NZ and Sam has already experienced so much and we look likely to be able to win without him, so I think we'll probably hold him off for the Hawthorn game, where we'll need his experience and ability. On the other hand, a change or two may be necessary if any of the young ones are starting to tire after the trip to Perth and then the 6 day break. I suspect they will get this last game and experience in NZ though and that one or two will then be rested for the Hawthorn game, opening up a spot for the likes of Fisher and maybe even Mav to come in.

Last edited:
Team selection will be interesting this week, especially with regards to Savage, who I don't think has done enough to get another game yet on merit, especially as someone like Milera has probably earned a crack at it ahead of him, as Savage has already had a chance and pretty much blown it . I definitely think Eli either goes back to Sandy or gets the vest and probably the latter, as it's almost the equivalent of a rest, which his low stats output this past two weeks suggests he may need. Seb Ross would be stiff to play a half a quarter and then go back to Sandy and he will be suited to the very small ground, so I suspect he plays a full game. Would be an ideal ground for Mav to play on, but I just don't see who would come out for him, unless it was Seb (TBH Mav is probably the stronger option at this stage, but Seb prolly gets first crack at it now that he's in before him) . Will be tempting to play Chips, as he just makes us so much better when he's playing and anywhere near his best (and I expect he will run riot if he's fully fit again if we have Delaney and Bruce in there holding down the key defensive roles, leaving Sam to go back to the intercepting/rebounding role he dominated in so often under Lyon), but it would be a great experience for the younger ones to play in NZ and Sam has already experienced so much like that and we look likely to be able to win without him, so I think we'll probably hold him off for the Hawthorn game, where we'll need his experience and ability. On the other hand, a change or two may be necessary if any of the young ones are starting to tire after the trip to Perth and then the 6 day break. I suspect they will get this last game and experience in NZ though and that one or two will then be rested for the Hawthorn game, opening up a spot for the likes of Fisher to come in.
Good post. Reckon Chips might only play if Gwilt doesn't come up. Having Fish travelling gets him back in the team environment, and as you say Hawthorn could be his game to come back in. Tough one mind you....!

When do Sandringham play? If those who are travelling won't be playing for Sandy then I doubt immensely that we would be taking Sam over and then not playing him, as he needs to get games under his belt one way or another much more than he needs the experience of a trip OS, or anything like that, I would imagine. I doubt Gwilt will miss as he played the game out and l also expect Schneids to play, as that was just a love tap. If he misses a game for that and Merrett only missed two for a forearm to the head then there is something seriously wrong with the system!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back