Greatest AFL team (1990 onwards)

Remove this Banner Ad

You still haven't answered the question about why you are ranking forwards on most goals kicked and not averages let alone actual talent?

prefer to look @ era's and who was better than their peers ... hard to compare modern day ff to the past due to defensive structures

that said i think the ff of the 80's smashed their modern counterparts .... roach, quinlan, lockett, dunstall, ablett

Brereton was definately better at his peak but that was before 89. With the exception of 87 and 95 Kernahan ranks as one of the most overrated footballers of all time. I would have S.Loewe and Chris Grant ahead of Kernahan, although not David Neitz, Kernahan was better than that spud.

are you serious or just trying to stir trouble ??? personally i rate him the best CHF i have seen

(most people rate carey but @ carlton we never saw his best owing to SOS being too good) ....

also rate brereton better than carey based on their finals record

are you serious or just trying to stir trouble ??? personally i rate him the best CHF i have seen

(most people rate carey but @ carlton we never saw his best owing to SOS being too good) ....

also rate brereton better than carey based on their finals record
Carey had some massive finals. 94 was as good as you will see from a CHF. The final when 2nd v 7th and he came out in the wet and kicked 7 and took the 7th best team to a victory over the 2nd best. You can debate Dermie and Kerna but Carey is another level.

B: Scarlett, Silvagni, Archer
HB: Wanganeen, Jakovich,McLeod
C: Matera, Williams, Judd
HF: Hird, Carey, Ablett(snr)
F: Akermanis, Lockett, Dunstall
Foll: Cousins, Ablett(jnr), Black
Int: Riccuito, Harvey, Goodes, Voss

Some really difficult choices, and some great players I've had to leave out.

In a real match, I'm not sure that Dunstall and Lockett could play together, and I might be tempted to put an extra back on the Interchange bench to ensure a more balanced team, but hey, this is fantasy footie, so I'll stick by my selections.

As a point of interest, the Half Forward line features 3 all-time greats, whose footballing abilities rank amongst the best ever; but their off field reputations/behaviours rank amongst the all-time low ...... allegedly

Wanganeen Silvagni Scarlett
Buckley Jackovich McLeod
Matera Voss Kelly
Hird Carey Riccuito
Ablett Snr Lockett Dunstall
Cox Judd Ablett Jnr
Goodes, Jarman, Black, Acker (sub)

I had Buddy in but given that Mitchell is and was a much better player, had to take him out.
Harvey was ultra consistent, and probably should be in but I prefer matchwinners.
Archer most over-rated player last 20 years. Very good negating BP, but not close to those in my backline.
Don't rate Bucks as high as some but was short on HBFs.

In a real match, I'm not sure that Dunstall and Lockett could play together, and I might be tempted to put an extra back on the Interchange bench to ensure a more balanced team, but hey, this is fantasy footie, so I'll stick by my selections.
They only played together once - 1989 Origin v SA...a spectacular success, with Dunstall running rampant inside 50 and Lockett parked permanently in the goal square...didn't hurt that Ablett was lurking around wherever he felt like it too...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depressing. The closest Richmond player would be Richo, and he's still a long way off.

If your looking at just one squad - Brisbane of 01-04 era is hard to beat.
If your looking at a club as a whole, Geelong just ahead of West Coast.
If your making a best of team, then as posted already above this post somewhere. As long as Wangas is there.

B: Scarlett - Silvagni - Wanganeen
HB: McLeod - Jakovich - Enright
C: Buckley - Williams - Voss
HF: Hird - Carey - Riccutio
F: Ablett - Lockett - Dunstall
R: Cox - Judd - Ablett
Int: Akermanis - Goodes - Cousins - Harvey

All H&A from 1990 to 2013 (no finals)

Club...............wins d loses win % flags
Geelong.......... 330 4 192 62.7% 3
WCE............... 298 4 224 56.7% 3
Collingwood..... 291 4 231 55.3% 2
Essendon........ 290 7 229 55.1% 2
N.Melb.............286 3 237 54.4% 2
Hawthorn........ 285 3 238 54.2% 3
Adelaide.......... 265 1 238 52.6% 2
St.Kilda........... 264 7 255 50.2%
Port................ 187 5 182 50.0% 1
W.Bulldogs...... 259 8 259 49.2%
Sydney........... 256 8 262 48.7% 2
Carlton........... 255 3 268 48.5% 1
Brisbane......... 236 8 282 44.9% 3
Fremantle....... 181 1 236 43.3%
Richmond....... 215 6 305 40.9%
Melb.............. 212 4 310 40.3%
Fitzroy............. 38 0 114 25.0%
Gold Coast......... 14 0 52 21.2%
GWS.................... 3 0 41 6.8%

Jackovic was the only player that broke even with Carey. Smashed is just not correct.

Kouta absolutely obliterated him that one time Pagan thought the only way to stop Kouta was to play Carey on him. 38 disposals, 10 clearances and 5 goals. Its the only time I thought Carey looked horribly out of his league.

Kouta absolutely obliterated him that one time Pagan thought the only way to stop Kouta was to play Carey on him. 38 disposals, 10 clearances and 5 goals. Its the only time I thought Carey looked horribly out of his league.
Carey played as a midfielder? I don't remember him playing much as an on baller. He did go into the middle in 99 and turned the Grand Final with a huge quarter.

Carey played as a midfielder? I don't remember him playing much as an on baller. He did go into the middle in 99 and turned the Grand Final with a huge quarter.

Yeah, I think that was what Pagan was trying to replicate. It was during Kouta's high watermark season of 2000 so he was in amazing form and he himself rates it as his best ever game. Pagan said in his press conference said they tried everything to stop him short of bringing out a rocket launcher, or something to that effect. Wish I could find the actual quote, was a beauty.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2000/031220000520.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back