B, Scarlett, Silvagni, Archer
HB, Buckley, Jakovich, Mcleod
C, Matera, Williams, Cousins
HF, Jarman, Carey, Hird
F, Ablett snr, Lockett, Dunstall
FOLL, Cox, Judd, Ablett Jr
INT, Goodes, Voss, Wanganeen, Akemanis
EMG, R.Harvey, Franklin, Ricciuto

Unlucky to miss out, B.Harvey, S.Johnson, Llyod, Crawford, Black, Bartel, Swan, Pendlebury, Goddard (after that performance in the 2010 grand final), Enright, Pavlich, Glass, Lappin, Flecther, Kutoa, Mckerren, Wynd, Stynes, Libba, ect

Wanganeen Silvagni Archer
N.Lappin Scarlett McLeod
Matera Voss Kemp
Hird Carey Franklin
D.Jarmen Lloyd Akermanis
Cox Judd ; G.Ablett Jnr
Goodes, Swan, Bartel, Riccuito
You really don't know much about football if you don't have Lockett, Ablett and Williams in your sides. They are all in the top 5 players over the time period along with Carey and Ablett Junior.

Worsfold Scarlett McKay
McKenna Neitz Enright
Pe. Matera Williams Cousins
Ablett Snr Carey Akermanis
Daicos Dunstall D.Jarman

Cox Judd Ablett Jnr

Sandilands, Voss, Ricciuto, Buckley
Neitz at centre half back. Really? He barely played there and when he did he wasn't near the best. Tim McGrath has more claims on that position then Neitz. However, surely Jackovich has to win that spot.

You really don't know much about football if you don't have Lockett, Ablett and Williams in your sides. They are all in the top 5 players over the time period along with Carey and Ablett Junior.

gee whiz get personal ... no one else has on this thread ..

already stated POST 1990 .... williams had 3 cracking years 93-95 ..... fwiw I would pick williams in my best team seen

you could pick 4 full forwards but lloyd has the most goals post 1990 ... not saying he is better than lockett, dunstall or ablett

SFB

already stated POST 1990 .... williams had 3 cracking years 93-95 ..... fwiw I would pick williams in my best team seen

you could pick 4 full forwards but lloyd has the most goals post 1990 ... not saying he is better than lockett, dunstall or ablett

SFB
There was nothing personal about what I said. If anyone put the same post as you I would of said the same thing. What has most goals got to do with it? Surely averages is a much better indicator of who the best full forward is. Even averages is not the final decider either. If most is how you measure things then surely the team should be made up with all the players who have the most games and most possessions etc.

SFB
Dunstall kicked 871 goals in 9 AFL years. Lloyd kicked 926 in 15 years. He is not in the same league. Lloyd should not be considered for the full forward spot. Miles off the best.

Enright Silvagni Scarlett
McLeod Roos McKenna
Matera Voss Judd
Ablett Snr Carey Ricciuto
Hird Lockett Cousins

Cox Ablett Jnr Williams

Sandilands Buckley Goodes Franklin

Most unlucky Dunstall but can't really have 2 full-forwards in a 22, can barely have 1 in the 10s era

Enright Silvagni Scarlett
McLeod Roos McKenna
Matera Voss Judd
Ablett Snr Carey Ricciuto
Hird Lockett Cousins

Cox Ablett Jnr Williams

Sandilands Buckley Goodes Franklin

Most unlucky Dunstall but can't really have 2 full-forwards in a 22, can barely have 1 in the 10s era
Work well when they played for Victoria.

Neitz at centre half back. Really? He barely played there and when he did he wasn't near the best. Tim McGrath has more claims on that position then Neitz. However, surely Jackovich has to win that spot.

Neitz was named in an All Australian team as a 20 year old when he was playing in defence. Carey named him as one of the strongest and toughest opponents he played on. Good enough for me. He was just needed elsewhere for a lot of his career. Alastair Lynch is another that comes to mind as a gun defender who played most of his career in the forward line through necessity.

Was never a huge Jackovich fan.

Neitz was named in an All Australian team as a 20 year old when he was playing in defence. Carey named him as one of the strongest and toughest opponents he played on. Good enough for me. He was just needed elsewhere for a lot of his career. Alastair Lynch is another that comes to mind as a gun defender who played most of his career in the forward line through necessity.

Was never a huge Jackovich fan.
Carey also named Jackovich as the best he ever played on so you cant exactly use Carey as an argument here. If we are just going on talent rather than actual achievement in a position than Stoneham gets the nod ahead of Neitz anyway. As does Pavlich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunstall kicked 871 goals in 9 AFL years. Lloyd kicked 926 in 15 years. He is not in the same league. Lloyd should not be considered for the full forward spot. Miles off the best.
Carey also named Jackovich as the best he ever played on so you cant exactly use Carey as an argument here. If we are just going on talent rather than actual achievement in a position than Stoneham gets the nod ahead of Neitz anyway. As does Pavlich.

matthew lloyd was essendon's best player 1999-2001 when they dominated the comp (probably should have won 2 premierships) ... for the 100th time overall I rate lockett, dunstall & ablett snr above lloyd

v interested to know where carey rates silvagni .... or does he just choose to block out being smashed

matthew lloyd was essendon's best player 1999-2001 when they dominated the comp (probably should have won 2 premierships) ... for the 100th time overall I rate lockett, dunstall & ablett snr above lloyd

v interested to know where carey rates silvagni .... or does he just choose to block out being smashed
That is not how I remember it - lloyd never won a B&F. Dunstall win 4 - 2 in the 90's in a great side.

Jackovic was the only player that broke even with Carey. Smashed is just not correct.

Jako is an Eagle legend, but he was only a true star 91-95, he was a rock solid dependable backman after his 1996 knee reconstruction, but there were no blistering runs and less epic spoils.

Stoneham had half a great season and that was at CHF.

That is not how I remember it - lloyd never won a B&F. Dunstall win 4 - 2 in the 90's in a great side.

Jackovic was the only player that broke even with Carey. Smashed is just not correct.

your memory is different to mine .... silvagni cleaned up carey in 95 ....even in 99 sos was our only winner, carey had to moved onto the ball

cannot remember carey even once getting hold of sos

Would also

Then why is Lloyd in your team? Most goals kicked when he has played that many more games over the period is such a silly determinant.

Silvagni was a grappler who got away with things that no one else did and they had to change the rules to stop his dirty tactics. No one truly rates Silvagni in the top echeon of defenders. Not even at Carlton where many better defenders have played. Since 1990 I would have Scarlett, Langford and even McIntosh as better.

Would also

Then why is Lloyd in your team? Most goals kicked when he has played that many more games over the period is such a silly determinant.

Silvagni was a grappler who got away with things that no one else did and they had to change the rules to stop his dirty tactics. No one truly rates Silvagni in the top echeon of defenders. Not even at Carlton where many better defenders have played. Since 1990 I would have Scarlett, Langford and even McIntosh as better.

? who has no idea after those comments .... but you are entitled to your opinion

Rubbish. He was the best player in the comp in 1991 and the best centre half forward in the game from 89 to Carey came along in 93. Although the last half of his 93 season he would of been pushing Carey as well.

no ... most would have kernahan & brereton in front of stoneham

the hawks era ended after 91 ... but acknowledge dunstall an absolute champion from the mid 80's to mid 90's ... equal with Lockett as the best ff I have seen

no ... most would have kernahan & brereton in front of stoneham
Brereton was definately better at his peak but that was before 89. With the exception of 87 and 95 Kernahan ranks as one of the most overrated footballers of all time. I would have S.Loewe and Chris Grant ahead of Kernahan, although not David Neitz, Kernahan was better than that spud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back