NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk about tough, hard contests.....interesting to watch last week's NEAFL TV where you can get a highlights reel of each game, consecutive. Comparing the Redland/Southport match to the two eastern matches (Qbn/Belco and SydUni/Eastlake), well...it's a bit embarrassing for an "Easterner" like me. Our matches looked so second rate compared to the Qld match and I hadn't realised just how much difference there is in standard.
And I know from watching the Thunder up at Marrara last year that they are a cut above, again.
No complaints or bagging about it, but NEAFL TV is a stark reminder of the differences in the NEAFL clubs.
Hey Justa, unfortunately, based purely on the NEAFL TV footage I would tend to agree. But having been in the coaches box I can guarantee there was a hell of a lot better play from both sides (Qbn v Belco) that wasn't shown. It seemed to me to be some odd choices to show as highlights. Having also seen Sydney Uni first hand I'd also suggest they were much better than they looked in the weekends highlights when they towelled us up. Sounds like I'm making excuses but I wouldn't read too much into the NEAFL TV footage just yet.

Talk about tough, hard contests.....interesting to watch last week's NEAFL TV where you can get a highlights reel of each game, consecutive. Comparing the Redland/Southport match to the two eastern matches (Qbn/Belco and SydUni/Eastlake), well...it's a bit embarrassing for an "Easterner" like me. Our matches looked so second rate compared to the Qld match and I hadn't realised just how much difference there is in standard.
And I know from watching the Thunder up at Marrara last year that they are a cut above, again.
No complaints or bagging about it, but NEAFL TV is a stark reminder of the differences in the NEAFL clubs.

Well what do you expect? Only 3 clubs in the whole of se qld population close to 3 million or if you like 1 club for every million people. Canberra has 4 clubs for 400000 people or 100000 per club. I know that's over simplifying things but ultimately a rationalisation of Canberra teams like what happened in qld will be necessary to close the gap. I know some would disagree but imagine how strong ainslie and 1 other (maybe eastlake) would be if the other 2 dropped out.

Sydney uni and hills will get there in time. Sydney is a big city and attractive for recruits.

A 12 team NEAFL with a genuine draw would be a comp that IMO would be very close in standard to wafl sanfl vfl.

Well what do you expect? Only 3 clubs in the whole of se qld population close to 3 million or if you like 1 club for every million people. Canberra has 4 clubs for 400000 people or 100000 per club. I know that's over simplifying things but ultimately a rationalisation of Canberra teams like what happened in qld will be necessary to close the gap. I know some would disagree but imagine how strong ainslie and 1 other (maybe eastlake) would be if the other 2 dropped out.

Sydney uni and hills will get there in time. Sydney is a big city and attractive for recruits.

A 12 team NEAFL with a genuine draw would be a comp that IMO would be very close in standard to wafl sanfl vfl.

If we were going to two I'd back Queanbeyan in.

If we were going to two I'd back Queanbeyan in.

On what basis Arwib?? Just interested - only been there once and fantastic football club feel rather than a sports club feel (bit like Morningside v Aspley imo) but wouldn't know much about them as a football club.

Well what do you expect? Only 3 clubs in the whole of se qld population close to 3 million or if you like 1 club for every million people. Canberra has 4 clubs for 400000 people or 100000 per club. I know that's over simplifying things .....

You also need to factor in the percentage of youth coming through though in this general population comparison.

If you go to a few primary and high schools and ask every class to put your hand up if you play AFL, look at your numbers again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You also need to factor in the percentage of youth coming through though in this general population comparison.

If you go to a few primary and high schools and ask every class to put your hand up if you play AFL, look at your numbers again!

Quite right DIFCB - It is all about percentages not perceptions.

On this day - Thank you to all that have served and those of whom who paid the ultimate sacrifice - Least We Forget.

Can find stats on this. The ACT is somewhat friendlier terrain for our great game than Queensland as a whole but perhaps not compared to specific parts of Queensland. In terms of youth participation and audience attendence at events, the gulf is lower than population suggests.

For attendence as spectators to non-junior sport, according to the most recent ABS survey about spectator sport, about 6% of QLDers attended an Aussie Rules game compared to 11% in the ACT.

For youth participation the ABS data has the ACT with standard error issues, but is somewhere around the 4-7% mark while Queensland as a whole is at about 3.5%. Those are pretty close, really.

Wowee some flat out discussion on here!

Currently in Darwin and game day looks fantastic up here, this will be a belter of a game. Listed thunder team this week looks the best they can field if all play. Redlands were super impressive v the sharks although had flat spots throughout the game. Sharks mids put to the sword in the last qtr. Will be interesting to see how Redlands approach the game tonight. A very attacking team but do so at risk going head to head with NT. Redlands if can get quick ball fwd will give themselves a chance against what I believe if any, is the thunders weakness, the back half. Conditions as we no change rapidly up here so if Redlands find themselves behind at what stage do tactics change. 3rd term is the Thunders best and more often the Chris Mew Dew is at its best! Young Hunter v Guilhaus in the ruck will be a ripper and if as listed Shaq Mckenzie and Darren Pfieffer line up on each other that's worth the $10 to get in. Nt just for me.

On all other matters, the 3 qld teams depth runs to about the 27 th man, where as Thunder runs far deeper hence they will finish top 2 all going well. Aspley is interesting, a midfield with exception of Payne, not firing. How long is Sansbury kept fwd. I see Forbes's return holding the key here. They are undisciplined but they really test the umpires during games...to put it mildly!

Ainslie could well pencil in 13 wins without trying to hard hence there favourable draw, comp favours the Canberra teams not the afl reserves and have a couple of real quality players in there team.

On travelling party's, it's ludicrous to ask teams to buy into a new competition, strengthen there S&C areas, medical etc and then not be able to take them away in a comp that covers 3 states. As I have said before, the CDM has done the running! The travelling times of teams to Darwin is interesting. The Sydney team example is a debacle. Bris lions reserves would fly day before and take the red eye after game which I found perfect. Arrive home Sunday morning then players recovery at midday. Was important to get players sleeping patterns back in sync quickly. Problem now is that virgin don't have that red eye flight anymore. Option would be virgin up day before and either tiger or jet star red eye but that won't happen.

Enough from me but Anzac Day tips :

Lions
Thunder

Wowee some flat out discussion on here!

Currently in Darwin and game day looks fantastic up here, this will be a belter of a game. Listed thunder team this week looks the best they can field if all play. Redlands were super impressive v the sharks although had flat spots throughout the game. Sharks mids put to the sword in the last qtr. Will be interesting to see how Redlands approach the game tonight. A very attacking team but do so at risk going head to head with NT. Redlands if can get quick ball fwd will give themselves a chance against what I believe if any, is the thunders weakness, the back half. Conditions as we no change rapidly up here so if Redlands find themselves behind at what stage do tactics change. 3rd term is the Thunders best and more often the Chris Mew Dew is at its best! Young Hunter v Guilhaus in the ruck will be a ripper and if as listed Shaq Mckenzie and Darren Pfieffer line up on each other that's worth the $10 to get in. Nt just for me.

On all other matters, the 3 qld teams depth runs to about the 27 th man, where as Thunder runs far deeper hence they will finish top 2 all going well. Aspley is interesting, a midfield with exception of Payne, not firing. How long is Sansbury kept fwd. I see Forbes's return holding the key here. They are undisciplined but they really test the umpires during games...to put it mildly!

Ainslie could well pencil in 13 wins without trying to hard hence there favourable draw, comp favours the Canberra teams not the afl reserves and have a couple of real quality players in there team.

On travelling party's, it's ludicrous to ask teams to buy into a new competition, strengthen there S&C areas, medical etc and then not be able to take them away in a comp that covers 3 states. As I have said before, the CDM has done the running! The travelling times of teams to Darwin is interesting. The Sydney team example is a debacle. Bris lions reserves would fly day before and take the red eye after game which I found perfect. Arrive home Sunday morning then players recovery at midday. Was important to get players sleeping patterns back in sync quickly. Problem now is that virgin don't have that red eye flight anymore. Option would be virgin up day before and either tiger or jet star red eye but that won't happen.

Enough from me but Anzac Day tips :

Lions
Thunder

Missed the Lions and Swans cut off - bugger
Thunder
Suns
Ainslie
Sharks
Eagles
Aspley - by 12 goals (No SMY, not arrogance - more a desperate plea!!).

:D Fair enough mate, it's not like you are getting pumped in your losses and query yea aren't doing anything special. Talking to big Jed this morning actually, really enjoying his year so far which is great. Hey why buntain looking to head back to noosa. The kid wasn't that far off being rookie listed at the lions last year from what I've been told and now he is dropping 2 divisions!

Hey Norwest

We are hearing rumours coming up Hume Hwy that we need to be very wary this weekend as your troops are backs to wall & threats of player payment cuts to drive some improvement from the group ????
Is it also true ?? ... that a newly appointed president resigned after a big argument regarding this matter with new footy manager ??
My contact up here at Giants who has links with Belconnen believes the coach is close to being given the flick ?? A loss this week could push decision by board / club with an old coach returning to try fix things ?
A lot at stake for both clubs this weekend
We were taught a footy lesson last weekend by NT but we are confident of turning things around quickly starting with big win this weekend - boys are pumped after a refreshing week focused on enjoying footy & taking some risks / running footy Eagles style
Go eages

Can anyone shed any light on why the scores are so low and why it was so tight a game between Swans and Lions in Mackay? Swans seemed to have a strong list again this week. Surprised the margin was only a point.

Thunder up by 8 goals that's look like a bit of a practice match in pre season... Redlands haven't look like it from the opening bounce.Look so slow and flat footed.... ( Thunder can make u look like that I guess.) I thought this would happen, as Redlands are coming off only a five day break which involved that sapping clash against Southport last week.Add to that the travel to Darwin and playing at the Thunders fortress/ climate, they were never goin to win this game.

Hey Norwest

We are hearing rumours coming up Hume Hwy that we need to be very wary this weekend as your troops are backs to wall & threats of player payment cuts to drive some improvement from the group ????
Is it also true ?? ... that a newly appointed president resigned after a big argument regarding this matter with new footy manager ??
My contact up here at Giants who has links with Belconnen believes the coach is close to being given the flick ?? A loss this week could push decision by board / club with an old coach returning to try fix things ?
A lot at stake for both clubs this weekend
We were taught a footy lesson last weekend by NT but we are confident of turning things around quickly starting with big win this weekend - boys are pumped after a refreshing week focused on enjoying footy & taking some risks / running footy Eagles style
Go eages

My mail was this is the reason for the mass exodus from last season's playing list. They surely cant be cutting again!

Can anyone shed any light on why the scores are so low and why it was so tight a game between Swans and Lions in Mackay? Swans seemed to have a strong list again this week. Surprised the margin was only a point.
Reckon some of the top ups might be finding their feet at this level plus Maloney, lisle back in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back