Rumour New List Manager - Matthew Rendell

Remove this Banner Ad

Whispers also said Jeremy Cameron to Crows. Which I find highly, highly unlikely.

But this would be a massive turnaround.

A poster on the crows board on reddit had this theory:

If this is true, my conspiracy theory is that the deal was done this weekend, getting the deal done meant Trigg felt he could finish up, he alluded in the 5aa interview he was approached by carlton months ago but only made the decision recently, why now, why not at the end of the year? As /u/palmywarrior said above the deal makers were seen in sydney this weekend. Today Cameron announced he will not play for the rest of the year and will begin rehab on his ankle, coincidence? If i was an Adelaide deal maker and was offering Cameron a big sum of money for the next year and knew he was playing injured I would say "if you want this much money, then we need you to stop playing injured and begin rehab, we can't have you making the injury worse and missing your first pre-season at your new club"

Given that it's well known Carlton want a key forward it would be a major breach of confidence if Trigg had spent the last few weeks/months working to get a deal done to get Cameron to go to adelaide and then go to carlton and work on trying to get Cameron to Carlton, and there would most likely be clauses in his contract with Adelaide to stop that type of thing happening. So deal done, Trigg has ticked off his last box at Adelaide and might as well leave now, rather than start some new projects that he won't get to finish.

Contracts with players aren't allowed to be signed mid season but through a loophole legal agreements can be made with player managers.

EDIT: on AFL360 they said Cameron injured himself pre-season and has played injured all year, but only decided this week not to play injured anymore, again i say "coincidence?"

who makes up this stuff?
would bet my house on it would never happen.

that said, i'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Who makes this stuff up? The *******s in the footy media.

1. Come up with bizarre rumour to generate buzz or ratings.
2. When rumor doesn't come true, hope people have forgotten about it by then.

(If you're Caro or Barrett)

3. When rumour doesn't come true, claim some sort of impact on the result because you 'broke the story'.

Dammit Rowe broke the story, Now we can guarantee it will not happen.

But if it was to be true, It would be great news.

Keeping in mind Rendell's seemingly sentimental attachment to certain players (his love of Tony Armstrong, SMACK, and the whole Nick Joyce thing) is he the best person to be our list manager? We did make some smart list decisions while he was with us as head recruiter, I suppose (going tall in the pre-GC/GWS drafts, in particular the Talia selection, while Bock and Davis were still with us).

Can't say I'm treating this rumour very seriously, but if it is true, I'm really not sure how to feel about it. At the very least, I'm guess I'll enjoy his press conferences and media appearances again.

Did Rendell have some other issues which concerned the club, apart from the racism?
I believe at the time Trigg alluded to other incidents which compounded the problem.

Of course, this was right after he said mud sticks and Rendell had to go or it would tarnish the clubs image permanently, so, you know, glass houses and s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping in mind Rendell's seemingly sentimental attachment to certain players (his love of Tony Armstrong, SMACK, and the whole Nick Joyce thing) is he the best person to be our list manager? We did make some smart list decisions while he was with us as head recruiter, I suppose (going tall in the pre-GC/GWS drafts, in particular the Talia selection, while Bock and Davis were still with us).

Can't say I'm treating this rumour very seriously, but if it is true, I'm really not sure how to feel about it. At the very least, I'm guess I'll enjoy his press conferences and media appearances again.

Was apparently responsible for us taking the long view that we needed to stockpile KPD's. Fairly strategic

Also is alleged to have urged the club to accept Brisbane's trade off for Skirt

Did Rendell have some other issues which concerned the club, apart from the racism?

According to Demetrou it was racism, he's no longer there, either is Trigg. What it was politically incorrect, what it become was a selective witch Hunt. This was probably Triggs biggest error in judgement.

According to Demetrou it was racism, he's no longer there, either is Trigg. What it was politically incorrect, what it become was a selective witch Hunt. This was probably Triggs biggest error in judgement.
It was handled in true Triggy fashion.

"If everyone knew the full story they would agree with my decision but I do not want to bad mouth Matt so I will not tell you my reasons".

This not only made people think that Rendell was a slayer of puppies but nicely avoided scrutiny of the decision.

Right up there with "If you knew the full Tippett story then you would be patting me on the back but for the good of the AFC I will not tell you".

Was apparently responsible for us taking the long view that we needed to stockpile KPD's. Fairly strategic

Also is alleged to have urged the club to accept Brisbane's trade off for Skirt
I dunno, the fact we had so many of such quality almost necessitated that other clubs come knocking to try and steal them :drunk:

This why I said he's not the messiah - everyone faps about his good stuff - and to be fair he has had some good wins.

But take your heads out of the sand - he's also had his share of absolute howlers too.

Far from perfect
No one has a perfect record. What all clubs would love is for the first round picks to develop into quality players, you jag a few good players from lower picks and you get good value for trades.

We don't know how much the selections were Rendell as compared to other recruiters but our recent top 15 picks have been Dangerfield, Talia, Smith and Crouch. Lower picks have been Sloane and Walker (via NSW rookie scheme), Laird, Brown (we were bluffing when we said he would have been a first rounder) and Hendo. Trades include Jacobs, Jenkins and Lynch.

The misses include McKernan (a 2nd rounder), Tambling, Joyce and Armstrong. Hardly high cost failures.

Thanks to Triggy we can't judge much fron the last 2 years when our best pick has been in the 20's.

I liked Rendell anyhow.

Netted is Danger, Sloane, Talia, Smith, Davis, Gunston among others. At least 5 potentially elite players there all pick 10 and over.

Some howlers of course. Show me a club that has 100% strike rate.

This rumour seems like fantasy land wishes.

Trigg's gone (wow that feels satisfying to type) but Rendell coming back would only reopen the old wounds of the Mifsudgate racism allegations and the AFC hanging him out to dry. Would just be awkward for both parties.

Last edited:
I believe at the time Trigg alluded to other incidents which compounded the problem.

Of course, this was right after he said mud sticks and Rendell had to go or it would tarnish the clubs image permanently, so, you know, glass houses and s**t.

Funny how things turn out sometimes...

Not for Crows fans however...

I reckon our chances of landing Cameron are about the same as my chances of hooking up with all 9 members of Girl's Generation simultaneously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back