2014 - is this the year Geelong finally falls?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Geelong is average then I really worry for the state of the competition that an average placed side is currently second. Rather then questioning Geelong people should really question why sides like Richmond and Carlton and essendon are finishing lower then the cats 10 years on.

They're rebuilding.

Like the Cats.

I think so Steven Johnson Joel Selwood are getting older and older. Johnson has struggld

Robert Walls....is that you ?
Do you realise everyone gets older and older each day ?

Johnson is averaging nearly the same disposals as last year,is only 7 goals behind what he kicked all last season and is only 3 tackles behind what he had for the entire 2013 season.

I think so Steven Johnson Joel Selwood are getting older and older. Johnson has struggld
How old do you reckon Joel Selwood is? 29, 30, 32? Try 26. He is in his prime. 3 years younger than Jobe Watson and 4 months younger than Scott Pendelbury.......sigh

As for Steve Johnston. He is back to near top form, but is carrying a back injury. Write him off at your peril.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelongs structure isn't as well rounded since the retirements and move-ons since 2012. But they still have amazing chemistry and fight in the senior group. IMO that is why they are so successful still.

They are not rebuilding. What a stupid statement. They have just been clever in stopping a slide by keeping a core group at high output while the rest come up in level. Something Carlton have not been clever in.

Geelongs structure isn't as well rounded since the retirements and move-ons since 2012. But they still have amazing chemistry and fight in the senior group. IMO that is why they are so successful still.

They are not rebuilding. What a stupid statement. They have just been clever in stopping a slide by keeping a core group at high output while the rest come up in level. Something Carlton have not been clever in.

Geelong have the ability to drop senior players i:e chapman corey from 2013 that most other clubs would no contemplate doing.
If they can stem the flow by having mature ages and have one or two at a time within the next 3 year good have another great side still primed barring injury and draft selections.

I think we will lose one of each of the above at the end of the next 3/4 years (Enight, then Bartel, then SJ, then Mackie). So not the worst way to do it.
For me the biggest query is whether Stevie J returns forward when his time in the midfield is done or just goes.

I think we will lose one of each of the above at the end of the next 3/4 years (Enight, then Bartel, then SJ, then Mackie). So not the worst way to do it.
For me the biggest query is whether Stevie J returns forward when his time in the midfield is done or just goes.

You would think that he would return to the forward line and become the elusive forward he was played in the middle

Not bullshit at all, Google "Birth of the West Coast Eagles", 3 part doco... the Victorians didn't want us so took all the top players

92 and 94 was pure gold for me :)
Geelong was the best VFL team those years. We had to come up against an awesome state team twice.

Where do Kelly/Lonergan fit in that sequence?

The only real comcern is replacing players such as Bartel, Enright, SJ, and Mackie when they retire. This is only if they retire in a largeish group

At a guess, of the 30 and over brigade, I'd suggest it will go something like (age at September 30 that year shown):

2014: Enright (could go on though) - 33
2015: Kelly - 31, Lonergan - 31
2016: McIntosh - 32, Johnson - 33, Bartel - 32
2017: Rivers - 32, Mackie - 33, Stokes - 32

Then we'd enter the 2018 season with one player over 30 (Harry Taylor, going on 32) and Selwood, Hawkins and Sheringham (if he's still at Geelong, long odds right now, you'd have to say) turning 30 that season.

At this stage, I'd say 2017 and 2018 look like the seasons that are up in the air. With those retirements, I'd suggest we'd be able to manage in 2015 and 2016 and stay very competitive, just with the natural progression of the current list.

The only real comcern is replacing players such as Bartel, Enright, SJ, and Mackie when they retire. This is only if they retire in a largeish group

why do people bring up players who were often heckled for years simply because their birth-date appears to be on the wrong side of what's considered appropriate?
Mackie, Stokes, Lonergan . . . no one rated these blokes years ago (some still don't) but as soon as they turned 29/30, they become irreplaceable :p

There's a young kid named Kolodjashnij running around in the VFL as we speak, remember the name as it's hard not to forget, it's kids like this who will come into the team in the coming year and we will back to discussing 'what's to be done about replacing Harry Taylor'.

(Dangerfield would be a timely inclusion too)

I don't even understand how they keep doing it, it's like winning is just a formality for them at times. They don't even seem to be playing such great footy but they constantly get the job done somehow. I do think they need to find another level to do some damage, they need to find that absolutely explosive scoring ability they had, the best teams can turn it on for a patch and just blow the opposition away.

I'd like to see Johnson played more of a forward again, good midfielders who can rack up the ball are a dime a dozen, guys that can kick goals on either foot from any position within 40 metres are very hard to come by. You'd love to see Motlop absolutely get back to his goalscoring best too. Kersten looks like he can be a good second foil for Hawkins, though.

Still a really dangerous team.

why do people bring up players who were often heckled for years simply because their birth-date appears to be on the wrong side of what's considered appropriate?
Mackie, Stokes, Lonergan . . . no one rated these blokes years ago (some still don't) but as soon as they turned 29/30, they become irreplaceable :p

There's a young kid named Kolodjashnij running around in the VFL as we speak, remember the name as it's hard not to forget but it's kids like this who will come into the team in the coming year and we will back to discussing what is to be done about replacing Harry Taylor next.

Calm your farm. The reason why this comes up is that these players are proven AFL players and therefore hard to replace. Very few players go around after 33-34 or even reach the age. Never said that the players are irreplacable just replacing them with afl quality players is difficult.

It depends on if Geelong manage to find these replacement. Personally with Wells back them to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back