List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course this is all just wild speculation but I am not convinced that Dangerfield is the 'heart and soul' of the club. He gives it everything on the field, but I am not convinced other players feel about him like they do about say Tex.

How would you know that?

That's just stupid and a post bomb - ready for an argument. Stupid post.

I'd take Dangerfield over Cameron any day of the week.

Much rather have an A grade midfielder over an A grade forward because as good as the forward is, he's going to struggle if the ball never comes down there. Add to the fact we've already got a star in Tex sitting in the forward line along with some other handy talls in Jenkins and Lynch, we'd be robbing our midfield of one of the few guys that has some speed and a game winner in his own right for another a position that we're not exactly struggling with at the moment. Of course Cameron would improve that forward line a lot, but not as much as our midfield would suffer for the loss of Dangerfield.

I wouldn't say Dangerfield is a superstar yet (nor is Cameron) but he just seems that click away from getting that which we all keep hoping he'll reach the next season.

Danger for Cameron? Wtf? Danger may well be in the top 3 mids in the game. Cameron wouldn't even make it in the top 10 forwards. Danger is untradeable IMHO. He is a once every 10 year players, like rucciuto, hird, voss. Plus he's the captain lol. What kind of message does that say.

Cameron will be the best key forward in the comp for the next 10 years. Such a natural player with athleticism to go with it.

My mate has close ties with Geelong and they showed him some footage of Cameron's running patterns etc and said to him that he will definitely be better than Buddy.

Don't be put off by his recent form. He has been playing with injury in a very raw side.

I reckon, being a young once in a generation key forward, Cameron's value is greater than Dangerfield's.

Danger for Cameron? Wtf? Danger may well be in the top 3 mids in the game. Cameron wouldn't even make it in the top 10 forwards. Danger is untradeable IMHO. He is a once every 10 year players, like rucciuto, hird, voss. Plus he's the captain lol. What kind of message does that say.
No player is Untradable if Dangerfield wanted to leave I would trade him in a heartbeat.

He has been here long enough that if he is not happy here now he never will be and we would have to pay overs to keep him which does not work out just look at Tippett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL Cameron is easily in the top 10 forwards.
And for his age, would be the most sought after forward in the league BAR NONE.

Why bother taking the risk of trading out our once in a generation superstar, when the potential returns in Cameron aren't that much greater.

All this talk of trading out dangerfield is ridiculous. Just as crazy as if we suggested we trade out roo when he was in his prime
It's not crazy talk at all - and you can't compare it to Roo's time because FA did not exist.

This is about risk management - I'm sure no one wants to trade out Danger if it can possibly be helped.

Times have changed - this is the new world of FA and right now it is being manipulated to facilitate greater movement of the game' s kings. Not the traffic jam of average players it was designed to assist.

Danger will already be in possession of an extraordinary offer. He will know already what's on the table. Look at the Buddy example. That deal was done a year in advance.

So Danger is in a position to evaluate his future now. He either is tempted or he's not. If he's not there's no reason not start extension negotiations. If he is, he will put talks on hold.

If they are still on hold at the end of the year then IMO he is gone.

The AFC must protect itself from inadequate FA compo and force his hand this year.

Test the whole " heart & soul" thing. Even a verbal is something. If he cannot flat out rule out ever leaving then we need to explore our options and get the jump on FA.

The issue with FA at the moment is the clubs lose given they don't have the power to trade players against their will - something I think they'll be pushing for as the players continue to push for a 'better' free agency system.

Without that, the clubs that are interested in players wait for the player to become a free agent so they can get them 'for free' rather then giving up something big (As it would cost to get someone of Dangerfield's level) given the party that holds the player would be asking for more than what the team that's chasing him is after.

As a club, I think it's very hard to 'force' the hand of a player given they lose out no matter which way they go. Either they take unders and trade him where they don't get the full value and also receive plenty of backlash from their own supporters or they hold, hope they can re-sign and if they can't, get a draft pick back with the compo.

I believe with how the system is, for your stars you're better off holding, hoping you can re-sign and if not, get the band 1 compo.

Dream world time!

GWS(gain): Jaensch, 1st Round pick, 2nd Round pick and Douglas!

Adelaide(gain): Cameron and 2nd round pick upgrade and pickup Garlett or a Big Defender .

Next year we offer our first round for Aish to Brisbane. BAM!

Brisbane(gain): 1st Round pick

Adelaide(gain): Aish

Midfield from: Danger, Sloane, B&M Crouch, Aish, Smith, Mackay, Grigg, Garlett and VB

Forward from: Small and Big Cameron, Betts, Tex, Lynch & Jenkins

Defense from: Talia, Brown, Laird, Hendo, Otten, whoever stands up/draft.

Won't happen but I love trawling through these Draft/Trade Scenarios.........

It's not crazy talk at all - and you can't compare it to Roo's time because FA did not exist.

This is about risk management - I'm sure no one wants to trade out Danger if it can possibly be helped.

Times have changed - this is the new world of FA and right now it is being manipulated to facilitate greater movement of the game' s kings. Not the traffic jam of average players it was designed to assist.

Danger will already be in possession of an extraordinary offer. He will know already what's on the table. Look at the Buddy example. That deal was done a year in advance.

So Danger is in a position to evaluate his future now. He either is tempted or he's not. If he's not there's no reason not start extension negotiations. If he is, he will put talks on hold.

If they are still on hold at the end of the year then IMO he is gone.

The AFC must protect itself from inadequate FA compo and force his hand this year.

Test the whole " heart & soul" thing. Even a verbal is something. If he cannot flat out rule out ever leaving then we need to explore our options and get the jump on FA.
I think you make very valid points Peter J but in fairness to Danger I think he's also fairly cleared flagged the criteria by which he'll make his decision...and that's whether the club is demonstrating the right plan for and progress towards ultimate success (i.e. a premiership).

So whilst he would have a crystal clear idea of the competing financial offers I think it is reasonable to say that things could still be a little muddy with respect to how the Crows are positioned for a flag post 2015 and he's justified IMHO in taking whatever time necessary in order to (hopefully) gain the necessary level of comfort. In this case I think a quick decision would be a no (to us) which is not what we want.

I think you make very valid points Peter J but in fairness to Danger I think he's also fairly cleared flagged the criteria by which he'll make his decision...and that's whether the club is demonstrating the right plan for and progress towards ultimate success (i.e. a premiership).

So whilst he would have a crystal clear idea of the competing financial offers I think it is reasonable to say that things could still be a little muddy with respect to how the Crows are positioned for a flag post 2015 and he's justified IMHO in taking whatever time necessary in order to (hopefully) gain the necessary level of comfort. In this case I think a quick decision would be a no (to us) which is not what we want.

Really?
All the other players seem to talk about how they love where the club is heading etc etc.
Now i know some of that is media fluff, but surely they cant all be talking crap.

Really?
All the other players seem to talk about how they love where the club is heading etc etc.
Now i know some of that is media fluff, but surely they cant all be talking crap.
I think that kind of language is fairly standard fare from players when they're re-signed (at any club). But not all players (indeed only a very elite few) would have the luxury Danger has in knowing he could basically go wherever he chose and so whilst I'm sure he would prefer to stay with us I don't think he'd do so at the cost of the chance of team success. Unlike Buddy who'd already won a flag when he did his deal (and another by the time he left!) and who was moving for lifestyle and financial reasons I think Danger will make his decision for footy reasons.

Jaensch is perhaps the best currency he will likely ever be this year, probably good piece to play with this period.

Jaensch is this years, Reilly, Otten or McKay. Blokes who in hindsight we shouldve traded but kept in hope they could replicate their form. None have, going on the past 5 years i have no doubt that Jaensch will be the same

If I was in Danger's shoes, I would be leaving it til early in the final year of my contract ... as footy clubs destiny can change very quickly.

There is a bit of uncertainty occurring with AFC as we need a new CEO, along with Board changes - biggest changes in a decade.

Let the dust settle, make sure all is heading the right Roo direction & sign up to the club's biggest ever long-term deal early in the pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back