Boycott Port Power Sponsor "White Marquee Event Hire"-

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh dear. Long live free speech and free will. May the authoritarian control freaks like yourself never get in positions of power.
That's it, fight for your right to use pejorative language that has been part of systematic bigotry against a minority group and is of no benefit to anybody. You're a regular Che Guevara!

I am pretty certain you have zero understanding of the actually damaging limits being placed on free speech, because political correctness is not one of them. But hey, I'm really sorry that it's not acceptable to say '******' anymore. Grrr I'm such an authoritarian, ruining your life and controlling your free will by telling you that you should not use a word that offends a disadvantaged group.

Not even worth worrying about. I do take umbrage at the "anti-gay" call in the article. The English language is a living, breathing evolving creature, the term he used, whilst poor was in no ways anti gay...unless the newspaper article itself is inferring that all Crows supporters are gay. Sometimes I think the politically correct in our society will push any wheelbarrow they can in hope that they can make a point, even if it is incorrect.
Agreed.

I was more offended by his use of the word "yas" which he substituted in for the word "youse."

I think he should stick to the letter of the bogan's dictionary where possible.

I can understand how someone might accidentally drop this term verbally when the filter in their head doesn't kick in before it comes out their mouth BUT I can't understand how any adult could write this in social media and not have the intelligence/decency to think about what their writing before clicking "post".

Serious deads__t.

Youse is interesting though, you in english is obviously both a singular and a plural, but in other european languages there are different words or conjugations for the singular you and the plural you. Youse may have orignated as a creation by european migrant populations in Australia in the process of learning english.

But it wasn't anti-gay and the article writer was using political correctness to make a point that wasn't there. The fact that you need to be so aggressive in response to my point is truly worrying and I'll leave it at that.

Oh dear. Long live free speech and free will. May the authoritarian control freaks like yourself never get in positions of power.

Stop it. He didn't call the supporters ******s because he thought it was a generic term for a bundle of sticks to be thrown on a fire. He used it because he wanted to offend to Crows supporters in some way to retaliate for the game, and the most offensive thing his tiny mind could think of was to call them gay, and he did so in the most derogatory way possible. Unless I've completely missed another derogatory meaning for the word ******, that's the only explanation.

So we're clear - being gay isn't a black mark on a persons character anymore, nor a socially avoidable stigma, so when people try and insult others by calling them that, in a fashion designed to imply it IS both those things and more - it's offensive to gay people, and that's why he's in trouble for his comments. It doesn't matter if you thought it was offensive or or not. It's not about you, nor does it have anything to do with 'political correctness'.

Not even worth worrying about. I do take umbrage at the "anti-gay" call in the article. The English language is a living, breathing evolving creature, the term he used, whilst poor was in no ways anti gay...unless the newspaper article itself is inferring that all Crows supporters are gay. Sometimes I think the politically correct in our society will push any wheelbarrow they can in hope that they can make a point, even if it is incorrect.
Stop it, you are embarrassing yourself

No, you stop it.

You admit that the language is an ever changing beast, yet you ignore the historical context of the word used.

Would you say it would be overreacting to criticising someone using "coon" to describe an indigenous player? "Oh, but I just meant that he's soft as cheese!"

I'm confused. My gaydar often misfunctions and I work with a couple of gay guys I have a great time with. But some of you are telling me over 60% of adelaide is gay??? No wonder I had to go to Canada to get a woman. Gaydar clearly broken.

Also didnt realise I shouldn't call tommy lynch a Ninja. I guess I'll stop.

Okay, I wasn't able to the read the article, but from what I understand he was saying it in jest, thus the appropriate level of offense was achieved on my part, moderate level, I shook my head in disgust and won't buy his product (because I wouldn't have bought it anyway...)

Truth is, the article isn't news, it's what I like to call a "shock" article. What will a lot of people be disgusted with? Yep, this fits the mold, now attach appropriate bait title and watch those hits come in. If we could all see it for what it is, not news and thus not worthy of reading, then these articles would cease to appear. The news is a product of our own social behavior. Let's try and reserve our outrage for what matters most, like BLOODY HENDERSON BUTCHERED THE BALL AGAIN!!!

The article, although not a great look, actually is pretty pathetic considering the sort of issues that escape our eyes on a day to day basis because editors believe that this sort of shock news will get more reception then reporting on the current humanitarian crisis in Syria. We can change it, people, the revolution can start with us. Are you keyboard warriors with me?!?!?!? No? Oh well, I tried, now what's this about Kate Middleton in a bikini...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silly use of an old school insult. Should have known better. But really, is this news?.

The people jumping up and down hysterically, dont you realise you only give any power to such a slight when you acknowledge it's affect on you? Ginger's now own the slang around their hair colour, Black people now own the slang around their skin colour, and Greeks and Italians made a lot of coin out of accepting the slang around their heritage. Embrace and disempower.

I think you'll find gays could give less of a s**t about the word f....t.

Can't see how anyone can defend it or thing it's not a big deal. People should be condemning this, not brushing it off. It is no different to someone saying black ***** or the like, yet for some reason people are more offended by one and not the other. If Keith Thomas had any balls he would dump this pathetic piece of filth in a heartbeat and send out a message.

Stop it, you are embarrassing yourself

Oh please. You're the one being a simpleton about this. F***** is a word charged with hate towards homosexuals, a word that many associate with decades of prejudice and violence towards them. It's not a word that should be flippantly used.

Can't see how anyone can defend it or thing it's not a big deal. People should be condemning this, not brushing it off. It is no different to someone saying black ***** or the like, yet for some reason people are more offended by one and not the other. If Keith Thomas had any balls he would dump this pathetic piece of filth in a heartbeat and send out a message.

I suppose you're one of those people who supported Adam Goodes pointing out a child - mid match - who called him a name that could be construed as racist, that he heard over the din of a massive crowd. You'd also, by association, have supported that child being held without parental support for 4 hours under police guard. Of course, you'd also support the fact that Goodes, having exposed the girl's obvious bigotry, saw fit to never once offer to assist the girl, or embrace her in his ongoing campaign against racism. For the record, his actions disgusted me so much more than the ignorance of the girl in using that word.

You are a pathetic, small minded individual if you allow a six letter word to get under your skin so much. Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet you're not gay, which means you have no idea what those supposedly targeted by the use of this word, actually feel about it. Im confident there, because the many gay people I know call each other ******s and queers all the time.

I don't think you understand what free speech means.
Oh I certainly do. Its sacred, its free, even if you or i dont like what is been said. Unless you are using your free speech to incite others to attack someone else or to cause actual harm of reputation which can be measured or quantified. These have always been the case. There is a difference between free speech and good taste. Just because you or I are offended thats just tuff s**t.

Kym
42 minutes ago

Now I know where the tarps are from.

That's the big story here. Port are renting their bay covers rather than buying them. Looks good for when their crowds drop off again - another masterstroke by KT. Smart management. :thumbsu:

Protected free speech does not include your right to be a bigot.

Look, I'm not suggesting this guy should be arrested. But the is NO difference between racial slurs and this word. N***** is a word that will forever be associated with violence. Hundreds of gay men have been beaten and killed through our history, and f***** is the ugliest word used to surround that act.

Free speech doesn't mean you are free to oppress others.

I suppose you're one of those people who supported Adam Goodes pointing out a child - mid match - who called him a name that could be construed as racist, that he heard over the din of a massive crowd. You'd also, by association, have supported that child being held without parental support for 4 hours under police guard. Of course, you'd also support the fact that Goodes, having exposed the girl's obvious bigotry, saw fit to never once offer to assist the girl, or embrace her in his ongoing campaign against racism. For the record, his actions disgusted me so much more than the ignorance of the girl in using that word.

You are a pathetic, small minded individual if you allow a six letter word to get under your skin so much. Furthermore, I'd be willing to bet you're not gay, which means you have no idea what those supposedly targeted by the use of this word, actually feel about it. Im confident there, because the many gay people I know call each other ******s and queers all the time.

And African Anericans use the word n*****. It is about reclaiming the language that has been used against you.

Go walk up to Eric Wallace and use that word.

If you can't have the smallest amount of respect for the fact that slurs based on race, sexuality and gender are ugly and based on historical prejudice, then I think that's the definition of ignorant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back