Gary Ablett Jnr. Painting

Remove this Banner Ad

sytadel

Debutant
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just completed this oil painting of the son of god, what do you guys reckon?

garry_ablett_jnr__by_dickens_art-d7sw61q.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. The left biceps needs a bit more of a curve in the lower half. Because of the angle of the shot it appears relatively straight at first glance but if you look closely you'll see there is that slight curve of the muscle. In the painting Gaz looks like he has the biceps of a marathon runner.
2. The right side of Naitanui's face and neck are in shadow, however in the painting the right side of the face is unshadowed.
3. Gaz's bald dome needs more white highlights to reflect the light bouncing off his scone.
4. Gaz's face and brow needs less white highlights. In the painting he looks like he has white whiskers (although Gaz is arguably The Most Interesting Man in the World).
5. Bit of artistic licence taken with the West Coast jumpers. In the photo they are wearing their navy blue strip but in the painting it has magically become royal blue.
6. I know Jarrod Harbrow is on a par with Rolf Harris and Nikolai Yezhov, but that's no reason to paint him out of history!

1. The left biceps needs a bit more of a curve in the lower half. Because of the angle of the shot it appears relatively straight at first glance but if you look closely you'll see there is that slight curve of the muscle. In the painting Gaz looks like he has the biceps of a marathon runner.
2. The right side of Naitanui's face and neck are in shadow, however in the painting the right side of the face is unshadowed.
3. Gaz's bald dome needs more white highlights to reflect the light bouncing off his scone.
4. Gaz's face and brow needs less white highlights. In the painting he looks like he has white whiskers (although Gaz is arguably The Most Interesting Man in the World).
5. I know Jarrod Harbrow is on a par with Rolf Harris and Nikolai Yezhov, but that's no reason to paint him out of history!

Piss off

5. Bit of artistic licence taken with the West Coast jumpers. In the photo they are wearing their navy blue strip but in the painting it has magically become royal blue.
6. I know Jarrod Harbrow is on a par with Rolf Harris and Nikolai Yezhov, but that's no reason to paint him out of history!
Definitely, it's far from perfect, could do with a touch up/revisit, but with that said, I wasn't totally going for realism - more-so trying to capture his visceral, explosive play with thick application of paint, and large brush strokes. I wanted to blur out Naitanui & Swift even more than I have, in order to emphasize Gazza as much as possible.

Also, my camera isn't the best and i'm not the greatest at taking a snap. Here's another shot...

Clipboard01_zps94f02911.gif

Last edited:
Definitely, it's far from perfect, could do with a touch up/revisit, but with that said, I wasn't totally going for realism - more-so trying to capture his visceral, explosive play with thick application of paint, and large brush strokes. I wanted to blur out Naitanui & Swift even more than I have, in order to emphasize Gazza as much as possible.
Is it straightforward to touch up those parts I mentioned? Would be relatively easy to do the shadowing and highlights I reckon.

I really like the background and the Eagles players. And even the expression on Gaz's face.

The body of Gaz seems really accurate as a copy from the photo, but I think in some ways the photo is a distortion to what we usually see from Gaz. That would be my only criticism.

Pump up his muscles, tighten his jumped, give him a tan and a bit of sheen on his head. He looks a bit pale and gaunt where as I'm sure you'd rather make him look strong and powerful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back