Gary Ablett Senior - Acquired Brain Injury During Playing Career

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going to sue Tennis Australia for my tennis elbow and Microsoft for my RSI from clicking mice, all these suits... I don't think the AFL has been negligent and that is a big part of a lawsuit as they weren't even aware of concussion issues in the past and people accept the risks of playing a sport. If the VFL wasn't around they would have just played in a lesser league where the biff was far more prevalent.

I think if the AFL was trying to avoid responsibility then legal action would be worthwhile, I think people are just trying to rip off the AFL, people didn't know getting smacked in the head was bad for their health? It is not like being punch drunk was a modern phenomena.

I am going to sue Tennis Australia for my tennis elbow and Microsoft for my RSI from clicking mice, all these suits... I don't think the AFL has been negligent and that is a big part of a lawsuit as they weren't even aware of concussion issues in the past and people accept the risks of playing a sport. If the VFL wasn't around they would have just played in a lesser league where the biff was far more prevalent.

I think if the AFL was trying to avoid responsibility then legal action would be worthwhile, I think people are just trying to rip off the AFL, people didn't know getting smacked in the head was bad for their health? It is not like being punch drunk was a modern phenomena.

Sure, go ahead.

Interested to see so many posters on here with an agenda - who have decided on the merits of lawsuits without knowing anything about it other than a headline.

Last edited:
I’m sad for any player suffering brain damage as a result of playing football. But nobody was aware at the time of the future consequences. And let’s face it, you’d only need to watch footy for 5-minutes to realise it’s not good for your immediate or future well-being. Let’s not all be ‘shocked’ that players smashing into each other without padding was not a healthy pastime.

It’s sad, but so are lots of things in life.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m sad for any player suffering brain damage as a result of playing football. But nobody was aware at the time of the future consequences. And let’s face it, you’d only need to watch footy for 5-minutes to realise it’s not good for your immediate or future well-being. Let’s not all be ‘shocked’ that players smashing into each other without padding was not a healthy pastime.

Like asbestos exposure? We as a society knew about the effects of asbestos exposure in the 1920's and we have known about concussion for more than a century with serious research into concussion starting in the 1920's.

I know for a fact the AFL's insurers are s**t scared about the fall-out and likely cost of claims which they will end up paying

I don't think many people in the 80's knew how serious head knocks were. Doctors and health professionals would have known about the science but the advancement in technology the last 25 years is now showing a clearer picture of the effects.

Who would have ever believed playing soccer and heading the ball could create CTE?
Many Aussies frequently mocked the sport of soccer as it was apparently 'soft'.

Most VFL/AFL players did not make the type of money we all presume they did either. Some made good, Diesel Williams for example recently sold his 7 million dollar mansion pictured below

capi_8ad0ead600872e0bdabede196f7b044b_8fb177d75256767ac77ddd96672b32e4.jpeg

Does he need the money? Probably not but it's not about that.

Sure, go ahead.

Interested to see so many posters on here with an agenda - who have decided on the merits of lawsuits without knowing anything about it other than a headline.

With an agenda? You know you don't have to white knight everyone just because they played for your club?

I don't care in the slightest about Ablett Snr. Great player, that's it.

Keep trying though.

Yeah, it is a coincidence that you are a Geelong supporter who thinks I have an agenda when I said people should take responsibility for their own choices in life.

Yeah, it is a coincidence that you are a Geelong supporter who thinks I have an agenda when I said people should take responsibility for their own choices in life.

You are the one who posted you think people are just trying to rip off the AFL and said you wanted to sue Tennis Australia and Microsoft. And that you don't think the AFL was negligent (although you know none of the facts of any of these mooted lawsuits, nobody on here does). Is that not an agenda?

And yes it is a coincidence that I support Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a dumb but predictable response.

What’s dumb about it Sttew? I realise you idolise the bloke but you surely must recognise the drugs may have had an affect on him.

It would be the same if Ben Cousins were to come out and say he has a brain injury too.

You can be sure the lawyers and insurance company, if there is any payout, will trawl through any claimant’s background looking for anywhere else they can lay the blame.

Did Ablett do boxing after his retirement?
I was under the impression he only did a 10 minute promotional gig with Ellis during the 1995 preseason which was half-hearted at best.

What’s dumb about it Sttew? I realise you idolise the bloke but you surely must recognise the drugs may have had an affect on him.

It would be the same if Ben Cousins were to come out and say he has a brain injury too.

You can be sure the lawyers and insurance company, if there is any payout, will trawl through any claimant’s background looking for anywhere else they can lay the blame.

Not getting drawn into Ablett’s off field habits but it’s actually Daniel Kerr and Daniel Chick from WCE that must be potential CTE cases.

Kerr especially. That bloke led with his head into every single contest.

Can’t stand Ablett.

But why do these threads always end up with so many posters pro AFL anti ex football posts?

The AFL is no different from other organisations in that they have a duty of care to their players.

The argument that all these footballers from the 70s, 80s etc knew exactly what they were signing up for is complete garbage. We are talking about a time when team doctors thought it was okay to send concussed players back out to play. There were no protocols to protect the players in the weeks after.

That’s not to say the AFL was deliberately negligent. It was the lack of knowledge at the time. But the game has become so big today because of all these players that came before.

To then pot ex players simply saying they’re after a money grab is misguided. Some of the guns involved wouldn’t be short of a coin. They’re probably sticking up for their mate who played 100 games in the 80s and is now older and has had their life impacted and been financially crippled as a result.

I personally find it impossible to have any kind of compassion or empathy for GAS given his involvement in Alisha Horan's death.

I don't buy this sympathy/victim card he and his management are trying to put over us one bit. A pathetic manipulation strategy.

I have zero sympathy for Ablett, Jarman, and their ilk.
They were handsomely rewarded for what they did, a game they played voluntarily. It was a game that involved physical contact. Unfortunately some went on and did a bit of boxing in what can only be described as monumentally poor decision making.
But who knew back then?
Specifically, with Ablett, I remember watching a Sunday Ch 7 sports show, where the redoubtable Sammy Newman was recapping on a Geelong v St. Kilda game. In that game, and we saw footage, Ablett had ‘taken out’ a saints player, Christian somebody if my memory serves me correctly. Newman joked that the sainter should be charged with attempted suicide for being near Ablett and not protecting himself.
Could be ‘hit’ player sue Ablett for causing damage to his brain?
A step below these players jumping on a bandwagon are the lawyers feeding off peoples’ misfortunes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back