Players who's career was ruined by injuries?

Remove this Banner Ad

Please tell me he didn't do his knee busting out the Nutbush?

ha no.

he was the runner at Freo for a few years.

he couldn’t run straight due to his knees. Kinda ran with a rocking motion.
Flowing blonde hair.
i was behind the dugout when he took off once and some wag was like “hey Fabio why do you run funny?”

he just turned around and laughed and gave a wave.

good guy is Lee

Brian Gleeson from St Kilda. Was a Brownlow winner, club champion and captain and at 23 did his knee in a preseason game and never played again. I think he's somehow related to Jack Sinclair.

"Brian Gleeson's football career took him from the heights of ecstasy to the depths of despair within the space of a few short months. In 1957, his fifth season in the VFL, he produced displays of consistent all round brilliance throughout the year to end up as an emphatic winner of both the Brownlow Medal and the St Kilda club champion award. He also played four outstanding games for the VFL that year.

In 1958, St Kilda appointed the twenty-three year-old Gleeson as club captain, but in a pre-season practice match he injured a knee and never played VFL football again. Had he been able to continue, it is at least arguable that he would have developed into one of football's all time greats as he was one of those rare players who appeared to have all the skills of the game at his disposal. A superb aerialist, he began his career as a strong marking centre half forward before developing into a first rate ruckman whose ability to direct his hit-outs to his rovers was second to none. Where he outshone most opposition ruckmen, however, was in his extraordinary, rover-like ability on the ground; small wonder the umpires latched onto him with such unanimity in his Brownlow year."

So it's just "the vibe" then. Ok.
No it’s not just the vibe at all.
Former admin here, Grizzlym, who was well connected within the HFC and the AFL industry told me of Rough’s issues.

Sam Simpson - so stiff to get delisted. Had a huge concussion in the GF vs Richmond and came back early this year, looked very lively and like an excellent HFF option. Then, fractured his thumbs and didn't play again for the year. So stiff.

ha no.

he was the runner at Freo for a few years.

he couldn’t run straight due to his knees. Kinda ran with a rocking motion.
Flowing blonde hair.
i was behind the dugout when he took off once and some wag was like “hey Fabio why do you run funny?”

he just turned around and laughed and gave a wave.

good guy is Lee
Was a fireman at one stage as well.

Not sure what Cobain did to deserve this.
Produced arguably the best album of an entire decade, maybe a few decades given the wasteland of the 80s, the best live album of all time, and another studio album that stacks up to anything from the 90s as well. He wasn’t ‘going to be’ anything. He already was.

People who pass at their peak are often thought of incredibly kindly, because we never saw their worst or a decline.

People just unconsciously assume they would’ve produced that level for the rest of their days, the reality says they wouldn’t have. Very very few ever do.

No doubt Cobain produced some brilliance. It may have continued for another 20-30 years. More likely, it would have been fleeting.

Some people refer to Cobain as one of the greatest musicians ever to live. He pumped out some great stuff, but no.

I’ll give you an opposite example - Noel Gallagher is thought of a brilliant musician. However, had he passed soon after Morning Glory, I guarantee he’d have a far greater reputation and mythology about him.

Sean Rusling looked a player before the shoulders went. Would’ve been an incredible partner for Trav Cloke over ten years.
Rusling had elite speed and could take a grab for a small forward. Unfortunately he had plastic shoulders and like you said, had repeat dislocations and both shoulders reconstructed.

Lee Walker has already been mentioned.
Mark Orval had huge promise under Lethal after a debut in 1987. Foot fractures ended his career after 7 games.

People who pass at their peak are often thought of incredibly kindly, because we never saw their worst or a decline.

People just unconsciously assume they would’ve produced that level for the rest of their days, the reality says they wouldn’t have. Very very few ever do.

No doubt Cobain produced some brilliance. It may have continued for another 20-30 years. More likely, it would have been fleeting.

Some people refer to Cobain as one of the greatest musicians ever to live. He pumped out some great stuff, but no.

I’ll give you an opposite example - Noel Gallagher is thought of a brilliant musician. However, had he passed soon after Morning Glory, I guarantee he’d have a far greater reputation and mythology about him.

Well the second best songwriter in his band is still touring and releasing music with some distinction 30 years on so I’m backing him in, in an alternate reality where he doesn’t pass away.

Noel Gallagher is still writing exceptional music, by the way.

Mckenzie of WCE.

When they beat us in the Granny, I thought what a feat. Did it without Gaff, Sheppard and Nick Natanui. I and many forgot that this bloke saved West Coast in that elimination final vs Port the year before where he smashed himself into the point post to avoid rushing a behind, which would have cost them the match. The Eagles won in extra Time where Shuey goalled after the siren. He was as good as any at FB. Really came of age in that 2015 season, as did McGovern. He missed all of the 2018 season and retired after it.

Nick Natanui - * injuries savaged him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Thompson
Dayne Beams

I believe that mental illness is a form of injury to some degree. I'm not being disrespectful in any way. Physically you can be ill, mentally too. There used to be a stigma about it but it's complete bs.

Look at Mike Tyson for example. Volkonovski. Many fighters and athlete's and people in general go through something in their lives. Anxiety, depression etc.

Good thing you said ‘no offence’ otherwise I’d get real offended by what someone like you thinks of listening to 30-year-old music.
Nothing wrong with old music, but leave angsty teenage girl music to whiny little kids please.

Josh Drummond.

The original version of Dan Rich but was injured every five minutes.
Only played for seven years for 95ish games before retiring. Could've played more.

Rich himself is a bit unlucky. If he didn't do his ACL, he may have hit 300 games, may have also played in a grand final too if it weren't for his calf.

In 5 pages of comments and not one has mentioned Coleman. Before my time but injury curtailed what was already a great career. And as mentioned by some others - Hudson. Yes he came back eventually (and did well) but without the injuries he would have been massively better in his later career.

What an absolutely terrible take.

Even at their absolute peak, everyone thought that Oasis/Gallager brothers were a cheap Beatles rip-off with not a lot of talent except being able to write a few catchy tunes. There was nothing new or different about them. They were the Stock Aitken Waterman of the mid-nineties.

Nirvana were groundbreaking. Cobain is an all-time great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back