Players who's career was ruined by injuries?

Remove this Banner Ad

Winston Abraham - injured his knee crashing into James Hird in the first game of 2001 and never played again. He was 26 years old and was one of the most creative and naturally talented players in the AFL. He was loved by Bruce McAvaney long before he fell in love with Cyril Rioli.

Wayne Schimmelbusch - injured his knee in a game against the Swans in 1987 and was forced into retirement. Surely had another 100+ game in him. ;)

Last edited:
What an absolutely terrible take.

Even at their absolute peak, everyone thought that Oasis/Gallager brothers were a cheap Beatles rip-off with not a lot of talent except being able to write a few catchy tunes. There was nothing new or different about them. They were the Stock Aitken Waterman of the mid-nineties.

Nirvana were groundbreaking. Cobain is an all-time great.

Well I guess it depends on your subjective definition of “all time great”.

He produced some brilliant stuff.

Pretty harsh on Gallagher.

People who pass at their peak are often thought of incredibly kindly, because we never saw their worst or a decline.

People just unconsciously assume they would’ve produced that level for the rest of their days, the reality says they wouldn’t have. Very very few ever do.

No doubt Cobain produced some brilliance. It may have continued for another 20-30 years. More likely, it would have been fleeting.

Some people refer to Cobain as one of the greatest musicians ever to live. He pumped out some great stuff, but no.

I’ll give you an opposite example - Noel Gallagher is thought of a brilliant musician. However, had he passed soon after Morning Glory, I guarantee he’d have a far greater reputation and mythology about him.

The people who say that are obviously not musicians. Wrote some good songs, but being a great musician is a very different thing. He wasn't close.

s**t. If he keeps playing the way he's been playing, Nat Fyfe.

No disrespect. This guy has won 2 brownlow's. His last not that long ago. Injuries appear to have destroyed his career.

Hopefully this post can prove me wrong.

Glen Jackovich? I remember he did his knee or at least I think it was his knee back in 96. Eagles were on a red hot run and went on that 11 game winning streak. He did it against the Saints during that winning run. I reckon they could have gone all the way that year with him in the team. Potentially anyway as they did seem to crumble at the G a lot of the times during finals in the 90's. Not always though. And he was undoubtedly the best CHB in the game by a big stretch.

Retired in 2004 he wasn't the same after that injury. His career wasn't ruined but he was never at the same level. Eagles supporters know more than me so they can confirm if accurate.

Allen Jakovich was incredible. 70 goals in his first AFL season, 50 in the VFL comp in the same year.

Took only 21 senior games to kick 100 goals, a record equalled with John Coleman. One of those games caused him to get dropped too.
He also kicked 101 goals (in 20 games) for Woodville in the SANFL 1990 season.

Could play.

Brad Boyd - Fitzroys last ever captain and a Victorian State of Origin player who, upon being part of the 8 players picked up by Brisbane could only manage 15 games across 3 seasons at the new entity.
His career was cut short due to prolonged back injuries, retiring after the 1999 season at 28 years old, and missing out on a golden era at the Lions.

Good thing you said ‘no offence’ otherwise I’d get real offended by what someone like you thinks of listening to 30-year-old music.
I doubt there will ever be a time when grunge prototypes Soundgarden "Badmotorfinger" or Screaming Trees "Sweet Oblivion" are not in my top dozen or so records of all time. Likewise Stooges, Floyd, Zeppelin etc from more than two decades prior to that, or Clutch, King Buffalo and Elder from this century. Great music is just timeless.

I think we know that Toump Ass is just a bit of a BF s**t-stirrer in many respects, so it's highly likely their disdain for my musical icons would never really cause me too much offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about a category for mental injuries, those players that had so much talent but couldn't cut it mentally. There have been a lot of them over the years. Sydney Stack the latest I can think of. 2nd in the rising star, so much talent, Covid hit and that was it for him.

What about a category for mental injuries, those players that had so much talent but couldn't cut it mentally. There have been a lot of them over the years. Sydney Stack the latest I can think of. 2nd in the rising star, so much talent, Covid hit and that was it for him.
Tom Downie from GWS - severe anxiety.
Tom Boyd another.

Adrian Campbell owns this - managed to snap 3 ligaments in the same knee at the same time. Looked like a gun KPF, was just never the same.
His understudy, a kid named Chris Grant, was fast tracked and fortunately turned out ok.

2 obvious ones from Geelong come to mind instantly.

Daniel Menzel & Mathew Egan.

Alex Johnson, missed 5 straight seasons with 5 ACL injuries to his left knee. Had a brief comeback in 2018 but a non contact right ACL injury ended his career. Post AFL career he had a 7th ACL injury.

Poor guy couldn't buy a trick.

Trent Hentschel was becoming a huge player for Adelaide when he went down with a seriously bad knee injury during a tackle in 2006. He only managed 10 more AFL games in 2009 and 2010.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back