Injury Bailey Smith ACL injury

Remove this Banner Ad

He was 30 when he hung them up. Could have played another couple seasons if he wanted to. But he was a different cat and thats no resume to sneeze at. Smith has a huge future if he can get back. Another 5 or 6 at the top level at least.
So your example of a guy who did an ACL and got back to playing quickly is actually a guy who did an ACL and never played another game?

Yeah, nah. I would have consumed thousands of hours of reading, listening and watching AFL and relevant training materials in the past 15 years.

I never said it was the only factor or that it will result in a 0 injury scenario. But its a factor that is controllable and can be reduced. However, the pursuit of performance means injury prevention plays second fiddle in programming sometimes. I don't necessarily disagree with the pursuit of performance but a result of that can be more injuries. I am sure any S&C at any AFL club would talk about getting the mix of performance and injury prevention right. Managing loads with all the running means you just can't get sufficient leg training in and you're just doing 'good enough'.

I know a former Head of S&C (role name slightly changed to not identify club) of an AFL Club personally and he was under a lot of pressure from the coach to focus less on injury prevention and ultimately that friction led to his sacking as the coach was not satisfied with his low-risk approach. The coach needs player on the park asap so S&C guys need to do things that aren't best practice sometimes and S&C guys aren't baby sitters to stop players doing beach weights or other extras.

They may squat 250kg but they also support 120kg+ and fatigue quicker.
If you knew as much as you profess to know about this subject, then you'd be aware that Bailey Smith is a terrible example. He is relatively average in terms of his height to weight ratio, and there is no evidence to suggest that he is lacking in his leg strength at all (quite the opposite). He has an incredibly lean body, giving the appearance of a muscular upper body, but in reality, his body composition would pose no issue.

It's a classic case of tall poppy syndrome that Australia is famous for. Let's criticise the bloke with a ripping 6 pack for having a ripping 6 pack and then somehow link it to his devestating knee injury that has nothing to do with his injury!!!

Really?.I need to explain that I didn’t mean that the actual acl made him play better?Obviously I meant that many have gone on to play better football than they had played before an acl.Surely after 27000 posts u have ability to interpret what somebody has intended to say better than that .

I was just confused because it's just a silly and pointless thing to say? Max Gawn tore his ACL when he was a teenager, and ur telling us he played better football after it? Like what?

It's always funny watching someone pretend to know what they're talking about and keep digging the hole for themselves while everyone else watches and laughs.

Bailey Smith was currently doing his 6th pre-season, and lord knows how rigorous his training plan was before he was drafted (was extremely well documental how fanatical he was).

As someone who went through the talent pathway until I was 16 (because I wasn't that good), majority of the training programs and strength and conditioning is very leg/core based. There was comparatively little bench pressing. These players legs are extremely well conditioned, and it's a primary reason why many of them are able to perform well in 2km time trials and repeat sprints (which, despite being aerobic, require excellent leg strength to improve).

Bailey is quite powerful in the contest. His legs certainly aren't the issue.

And again, just because he has a six pack and looks incredibly muscular, doesn't mean that he is top heavy. I'd say he'd almost be average in terms of his proportionality. It's an incredibly stupid claim by someone who clearly has no idea what they were talking about.

I'm not sure Bailey Smith is even that muscular in the top half. He's actually pretty small compared to alot of other onballers. Looks bigger because he has incredibly low body fat which makes his muscles pop.

I'm not sure Bailey Smith is even that muscular in the top half. He's actually pretty small compared to alot of other onballers. Looks bigger because he has incredibly low body fat which makes his muscles pop.
That's essentially what I'm saying. He is "muscular" in that he is shredded and decently strong, but he's not huge by any stretch. Old mate is trying to project his own insecurities by implying that Bailey Smith's injury occurred because his upper body looks too good.

He’s a whippet with decent biceps.

Lean as a string bean in the torso.

It’s not 1985. Off top my head Petracca Gawn and many top sportsman have done ACL s and played better afterwards..Happy for him to stay at dogs and to be honest I don’t think it’s it n good taste to discuss now but I’d be disappointed if Giants didn’t ask the question and offer good money and draft picks …if he felt need to get out of Melbourne and saw a role with us.

James Sicily has been better since his ACL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back