Injury Bailey Smith ACL injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Leg strength is not the foundation of anybody's game - a lot of the U18 reps have stick legs and barely any are well developed. The foundations of their game are other things, some then add leg strength.

Bailey probably benches more than he squats. He is not in proportion. That is a problem.
It's always funny watching someone pretend to know what they're talking about and keep digging the hole for themselves while everyone else watches and laughs.

Bailey Smith was currently doing his 6th pre-season, and lord knows how rigorous his training plan was before he was drafted (was extremely well documental how fanatical he was).

As someone who went through the talent pathway until I was 16 (because I wasn't that good), majority of the training programs and strength and conditioning is very leg/core based. There was comparatively little bench pressing. These players legs are extremely well conditioned, and it's a primary reason why many of them are able to perform well in 2km time trials and repeat sprints (which, despite being aerobic, require excellent leg strength to improve).

Bailey is quite powerful in the contest. His legs certainly aren't the issue.

And again, just because he has a six pack and looks incredibly muscular, doesn't mean that he is top heavy. I'd say he'd almost be average in terms of his proportionality. It's an incredibly stupid claim by someone who clearly has no idea what they were talking about.

Leg strength is not the foundation of anybody's game - a lot of the U18 reps have stick legs and barely any are well developed. The foundations of their game are other things, some then add leg strength.

Bailey probably benches more than he squats. He is not in proportion. That is a problem.
Underage teenage bodies not fully developed. Huge if true

Disappointing to read elsewhere on this forum that vultures from a couple of clubs (Geelong and Hawthorn) are celebrating this news as it will lessen his "trade value" (OOC end of 2024)

His health and well being (from a mental health perspective) should be the only thing us footy fans should be concerned about.

Tross was a fair bit older than Bailey though in football terms. He was also pretty much done and I reckon if he was part of the 2019 flag team he might have hung up the boots anyway.

Bailey still has it all in front of him if he wants it.

Rance was going to retire after the 2017 IIRC
and go trekking world wide with his wife.
He was never truly emotionally invested in having a long footy career like many other players imo (and that is okay as well)

Rance was going to retire after the 2017 IIRC
and go trekking world wide with his wife.
He was never truly emotionally invested in having a long footy career like many other players imo (and that is okay as well)

He was 30 when he hung them up. Could have played another couple seasons if he wanted to. But he was a different cat and thats no resume to sneeze at. Smith has a huge future if he can get back. Another 5 or 6 at the top level at least.

Sicily another example of a player who came back seemingly unchanged after a knee. It doesn’t seem to as big of a problem as it used to. Probably a combination of improved surgical procedures and rehab regimes.

Disappointing to read elsewhere on this forum that vultures from a couple of clubs (Geelong and Hawthorn) are celebrating this news as it will lessen his "trade value" (OOC end of 2024)

His health and well being (from a mental health perspective) should be the only thing us footy fans should be concerned about.
I haven't seen any celebrating. Anyone who is celebrating is pathetic though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt anyone is celebrating. Timing is poor to be talking so quickly about the implications to contract/trade situation no doubt. The bulldogs and any potential suitor would rather this didn’t happen and we get to see Bailey at his best in 24 and pay the required price in terms of contract or trade. Everyone loses in this situation Bailey firstly, The Bulldogs and all football fans

If Baz needs inspiration on recuperation and rehabilitation from an ACL then he needs to look no further than Libba who has done two, and is a top three player at our club still.

The club will wrap their arms around him and look after him both physically and more importantly mentally.

It’s a shame that some supporters look at players as a piece of meat rather than human beings.

Which doesn't mean anything if players choose to add in beach weights. Below may have been for good cause but players can be vain.

Not sure this is the hill you should be dying on. You clearly know nothing about body composition of elite athletes or the training focuses of AFL players specifically.

It's far more likely that the catalyst was due to a variety of factors. Genetic predispositions, training surface and plain bad luck just to name a few.

If your hypothesis were true, no NFL player ever would do an ACL. Those blokes have legs like tree trunks and many of them are squatting 250kg plus.

Not sure this is the hill you should be dying on. You clearly know nothing about body composition of elite athletes or the training focuses of AFL players specifically.

It's far more likely that the catalyst was due to a variety of factors. Genetic predispositions, training surface and plain bad luck just to name a few.

If your hypothesis were true, no NFL player ever would do an ACL. Those blokes have legs like tree trunks and many of them are squatting 250kg plus.
Yeah, nah. I would have consumed thousands of hours of reading, listening and watching AFL and relevant training materials in the past 15 years.

I never said it was the only factor or that it will result in a 0 injury scenario. But its a factor that is controllable and can be reduced. However, the pursuit of performance means injury prevention plays second fiddle in programming sometimes. I don't necessarily disagree with the pursuit of performance but a result of that can be more injuries. I am sure any S&C at any AFL club would talk about getting the mix of performance and injury prevention right. Managing loads with all the running means you just can't get sufficient leg training in and you're just doing 'good enough'.

I know a former Head of S&C (role name slightly changed to not identify club) of an AFL Club personally and he was under a lot of pressure from the coach to focus less on injury prevention and ultimately that friction led to his sacking as the coach was not satisfied with his low-risk approach. The coach needs player on the park asap so S&C guys need to do things that aren't best practice sometimes and S&C guys aren't baby sitters to stop players doing beach weights or other extras.

They may squat 250kg but they also support 120kg+ and fatigue quicker.

Sicily another example of a player who came back seemingly unchanged after a knee. It doesn’t seem to as big of a problem as it used to. Probably a combination of improved surgical procedures and rehab regimes.
Sicily was put on ice for a third of the season too after recovering, so had extra time to get himself back into the cut and thrust of footy, rather than playing out the back end of 2021.

Baz should be ready to go by Round 1 2025.

No, please explain.
Really?.I need to explain that I didn’t mean that the actual acl made him play better?Obviously I meant that many have gone on to play better football than they had played before an acl.Surely after 27000 posts u have ability to interpret what somebody has intended to say better than that .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back