Toast Sam Walsh - 2023 Gary Ayres Award winner

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok apologies, I didn't know that.
It would be an idea before launching into some very definitive statements that you understood the basis of the award you were discussing.

Walshy could very well win the Brownlow next season if he plays every game, especially if Blues can find there way into the Top 4

Is there an award in world sport that people care less about than this one? Do many people even know it exists??

Outside of a few Carlton Cheer Squad members does anyone even know it existed? I wouldn't be surprised if Walsh doesn't even know he won it.

About as pointless as medals for AFL-contrived rivalry games.

Is there an award in world sport that people care less about than this one? Do many people even know it exists??

Outside of a few Carlton Cheer Squad members does anyone even know it existed? I wouldn't be surprised if Walsh doesn't even know he won it.

About as pointless as medals for AFL-contrived rivalry games.
Good point.

I'd be very interested to know what proportion of football supporters know who won this award in 2018, for example.

I'd say about 5%, and that includes supporters of the teams who made it to the pointy end.

Good point.

I'd be very interested to know what proportion of football supporters know who won this award in 2018, for example.

I'd say about 5%, and that includes supporters of the teams who made it to the pointy end.
It's probably equivalent to the Anzac medal on the who cares basis from anyone outside of Essendon and Collingwood.
Couldn't even tell you who won that medal this year such as its relevance to me.
For some reason , this new age attitude of rewarding pretty much anyone for anything is a thing now and we just have to accept that it exists.

Last edited:
Sam Walsh is pretty impressive.

Just grew facial hair and already has a better finals resume than Pendlebury.

Very exciting for Carlton fans. Probably will end up being better than Nick Daicos as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back