News Karl Amon departs for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

.... the fact is that 40 doesn't go into 22. Most teams will go through 30 to 35 players in any normal year unless injuries and ladder position dictate that the coach delves deeper into the list. That leaves 5 to 10 players who won't get a look in. Who do you think they will be? ......
Last chance 'spares' like Renouf and Mitchell. Players whose contracts have stretched just a little too long like Cassisi (respect). Development players who aren't ready yet. Players whose drafting has been seen to be mistaken and will never play in the senior team. Players who refuse to take their turn washing KH's car.
...... Like it or not, it IS a line, not a circle and the last player picked in the previous draft is at the end .....
Our initial point of disagreement and one that you still puzzle me with. If a brand new draftee is the 22nd best player after the pre-season why pick the more experienced but 23rd best player who has already played in the senior team in previous seasons?

..... I also paid my money and turned up week in, week out to support a team whose game style I despised. Like you probably, I was part of every embarrassingly low crowd we have ever had ......
Thanks, I often wonder when discussing something with someone here quite what their experiences supporting the team have been.
..... By the time he (Choco) received his DCM, I was calling for it as loudly as anyone. We needed a change, his game style was wrong for us at that point I in time and he was too inflexible to change, but he should not be eternally vilified for the 2 years of failure ....
Both Choco and Primus have left a mixed legacy. But however much we don't want to uncork the genie of Choco's later years with us any suggestion of picking via pecking order will always do it.

Renouf and Mitchell are rookies. Are you suggesting that Cassisi won't get a game? Agree that form will dictate selection, but I don't expect Amon to be in the Magpies best players weekly. Do you? It's all opinion of course and I'm happy to differ.
By the way, I don't mean to denigrate anyone who doesn't go to every game for any reason, be they work, finances or the form of the team. Each to their own. I actually missed a home game a couple of years ago because my old man decided to host a "Christmas in July" party. I told him that there's a reason why Christmas is usually held in December - so it doesn't clash with the footy!

.... I don't expect Amon to be in the Magpies best players weekly. Do you? .....
No idea yet. But as a consequence of questions like that for many of us going to Maggies games in 2014 is going to be a lot more exciting than it has been in recent years. :thumbsu:

Karl Amon and the boys celebrating his 19th Birthday.
10599481_915052928510046_5677225730856536023_n.jpg

Met Karls mum and Dad a few weeks ago while filming some stuff,

Two of the loveliest people I have ever met. Said Karl and the family are very happy with Port, Karls dad had a real keen interest on everything Port Adelaide, was great to see.

Met Karls mum and Dad a few weeks ago while filming some stuff,

Two of the loveliest people I have ever met. Said Karl and the family are very happy with Port, Karls dad had a real keen interest on everything Port Adelaide, was great to see.

I notice one of Amons family members comment on Port facebook page all the time as well.

Saw him outside the Southern gate pre the Essendon game(I think). Said hello and congratulated him
on his efforts this year. My impression was of a modest, decent young man and have watched him
closely at Alberton for the Maggies. He's bulking up nicely and as for that left foot just beeeeeeutiful to watch.
Smooth mover as well with nice composure and an innate goal sense. Oozes class one to watch :D.

Been a good year for Karl as far as I can tell. Seems to be developing well with the Magpies and is more and more often seen in their best players and highlights. If he keeps improving like this he'll be pushing for selection in the Power side in 2015. A good use of pick 68.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amon has come along very well as the year has progressed. Saw him play against North Adelaide where he had a bit of a breakout game, kicking 4 goals.
He has some pace, knows where the goals are and has some x-factor, has shown he can can take a hanger. Superb left foot kick and a solid build, good core strength. Really has it all, can easily play as a small forward who pushes up the ground to help out in the midfield.

The kid has a lot of talent, but I can see why he slid. Turning him into an AFL player will be a real challenge for the coaches. Very interested to see what role he plays when (I think that barring injury it's safe to say 'when' rather than 'if' at this point given his form in his first year of senior football) he's eventually promoted to the AFL side. His skillset is best suited to an attacking wingman or HFF, but he might not have the size to play that role at AFL level. His body shape would be fine as a crumber, but he plays better further up the field. That was always one of the problems with Hitchcock. Had the body of a crumber and the skillset of a wingman.

It all depends on how he develops those core muscles. There are now a lot of smaller type midfielders/wingmen/HFF who are bloody strong through the middle and are difficult to tackle and are doing very well - boomer harvey and ben mcglynn come to mind. I can't be bothered looking up heights but Kieran Jack and Devon Smith also strike me as being on the shorter side.

I think he could become a jet. Has the speed, agility and skills and is now getting the power. If he can learn the defensive side of things from Neade, he could leap frog him as the next in line small forward.

My concern, and the same goes for DBJ and Sam Russell, is who do they replace in the team? Realistically all three could be considered for the Kane Cornes spot at the end of next year/year after. Muffins would also be pressing for that spot. Can't really see Amon forcing out Winguard, Gray, Monfries and Neade but is certainly great cover for injuries at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back