Official Club Stuff Wearing our prison bar guernsey for a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Same here, it just doesn't make any sense at all. I have a horrible feeling there is more to this than what we have already seen. The Victorian AFL media seem to be going crazy over Richmond at the moment - even moreso than expected.

I half expect to wake up tomorrow and find the game has been moved to the MCG - for the betterment of the game, and that we can only field players who understand the nature of the 'competition' is to grow the pie in Victoria once more through the power of the eternal giant slaying Richmond FC. So only players can play who understand a 'Tiger' victory is for the good of all.

Have to say I'm very nervous about the umpiring come Sunday, especially early on when the game is there to be influenced the most.

Something is just not right.
The AFL are throwing absolutely everything to throw us off our game and get Richmond through. Nothing would make the AFL happier than seeing Richmond past week 1 of the finals.

What do you mean 'nope' when the quote I included from KT as well as comments I've made in this thread support Richmond having to wear an away strip against Port in this game?

Just saying getting to wear the prison bars is nothing to be happy about.

It's still bs we have to wear white shorts and change our HOME GUERNESY for a home final.

vrpp42.jpg

Port has been in the AFL 5 years? Try 18. Gifted 2 premierships? Won 1. Maybe Duh would be a better name instead of Dale.

I love the traditional Port Adelaide guernsey but this whole situation is a farce. We should be wearing our home strip and Richmond should be in their clash guernsey and white shorts. Anything else is treating our club with disdain. Having a s**t fight over this in the week leading into an elimination final is a disgrace and exposes the AFL as amateur, clueless clowns. Our pb guernsey is now being used as a compromise to placate us and allow the morons in charge to get away with this bullshit. I feel sickened over the whole situation. * them. ******* idiots.

I just laugh at all these "we're all about the future now, forget the past" people. It's no coincidence that since we've been pushing our heritage hard we've have record memberships, record crowds, and interest in us nationally has never been higher. If you follow another SANFL club and you're happy to come along for the ride then you're more than welcome. If you're one of these "what about us people who support other SANFL clubs and hate the magpies" people, then you obviously don't "get" it and should probably go find another team to support.

If I could marry a post and spend the rest of my life with it, it would be this one.

Have to say I'm very nervous about the umpiring come Sunday, especially early on when the game is there to be influenced the most.

I have the same feeling. The AFL would love nothing more than to keep this 'Tigerland Fairytale' alive for as long as possible, so as a crowd we have a responsibility to be vigilant and aggressive towards anything suspicious.

If things start to get out of control on-field, we need to put the magnifying glass on it.

It is weird that the compromise would be the PB design. And there's no way KT would enter into an agreement he couldn't deliver on.

People reading wayyyyyy too much into this.

1) Richmond offer up a lame clash guernsey that some noob at AFL House approves because it satisfies a bizarre percentile metric that in no way correlates to an eye test.

2) This comes home to roost when the AFL decide it clashes horribly with WCE's home guernsey, forcing the Eagles to wear their clash guernsey at home. (ie there's precedent, we're not being singled out)

3. The AFL reloads, making us wear our white strip in our home final. Public backlash is immense, the AFL realise they've dropped a bollock on this.

4. We strike while the iron is hot, pushing forward the prisonbar guernsey we were denied a fortnight ago. AFL acquiesces given Gillon's whole shtick is about reconnecting with the supporter.

5. Everybody's happy. Richmond wear their garb - but will be absolutely told to produce a genuine clash guernsey in future seasons - we wear our prisonbar and the focus switches to the game.

The whole "BAWWWW VICTORIAN CONSPIRACY" button needn't be pressed. The AFL ****ed up, did the wrong thing by both clubs and a workable solution has been reached.

I just laugh at all these "we're all about the future now, forget the past" people. It's no coincidence that since we've been pushing our heritage hard we've have record memberships, record crowds, and interest in us nationally has never been higher. If you follow another SANFL club and you're happy to come along for the ride then you're more than welcome. If you're one of these "what about us people who support other SANFL clubs and hate the magpies" people, then you obviously don't "get" it and should probably go find another team to support.

Exactly, I was talking about this with my South/Power supporting mate today. I suggested us wearing the PB to him as soon as we heard about this and he was all for it. People -- as long as they aren't total write-offs -- can respect the fact that the Magpies are just as much a part of Port Adelaide as the Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This just actually happened -

"What was that? "It's only fair that you go back to your roots"? Magpies roots lie with the SANFL and Port Powers roots lies with the AFL. When Port Power came into the AFL (which they originally did behind the SANFL's back after being told they couldn't by the head of the SANFL) they were told by the AFL and SANFL that they had to be a separate identity from the Magpies. Yet they continue to keep trying to change their guernsey to the Magpies one whenever they feel like it (no other AFL club does this) and they continue to boast a 100+ year history when Power's history is actually only 16 years old. Magpies history is 100+ years old not Port Power. The Power have robbed so much from the Magpies it's not funny, including financial gains that have left the Magpies continuously struggling and dependent on SANFL handouts all the time. More money has been put into the Magpies club by the SANFL than any other club in the SANFL league has ever received. Port Power have also run at a loss continuously even after bleeding the Magpies dry, the Power have needed continuous bailouts by the SANFL and AFL. I am not trying to start arguments here, just stating facts. I worked for a SANFL club for over 12 years and I know about certain inside dealings that went on in those clubs. Again I am not trying to criticise, just state facts, that is all!"

This just actually happened -

"What was that? "It's only fair that you go back to your roots"? Magpies roots lie with the SANFL and Port Powers roots lies with the AFL. When Port Power came into the AFL (which they originally did behind the SANFL's back after being told they couldn't by the head of the SANFL) they were told by the AFL and SANFL that they had to be a separate identity from the Magpies. Yet they continue to keep trying to change their guernsey to the Magpies one whenever they feel like it (no other AFL club does this) and they continue to boast a 100+ year history when Power's history is actually only 16 years old. Magpies history is 100+ years old not Port Power. The Power have robbed so much from the Magpies it's not funny, including financial gains that have left the Magpies continuously struggling and dependent on SANFL handouts all the time. More money has been put into the Magpies club by the SANFL than any other club in the SANFL league has ever received. Port Power have also run at a loss continuously even after bleeding the Magpies dry, the Power have needed continuous bailouts by the SANFL and AFL. I am not trying to start arguments here, just stating facts. I worked for a SANFL club for over 12 years and I know about certain inside dealings that went on in those clubs. Again I am not trying to criticise, just state facts, that is all!"

motherofgod.jpg

The AFL are throwing absolutely everything to throw us off our game and get Richmond through. Nothing would make the AFL happier than seeing Richmond past week 1 of the finals.

There is no denying that each years fixture is formulated to maximise crowds and TV ratings. No denying that at all. But this idea the AFL gives a tacit nod to officialdom to ensure match results go a certain way is utter nonsense.

People reading wayyyyyy too much into this.

1) Richmond offer up a lame clash guernsey that some noob at AFL House approves because it satisfies a bizarre percentile metric that in no way correlates to an eye test.

2) This comes home to roost when the AFL decide it clashes horribly with WCE's home guernsey, forcing the Eagles to wear their clash guernsey at home. (ie there's precedent, we're not being singled out)

3. The AFL reloads, making us wear our white strip in our home final. Public backlash is immense, the AFL realise they've dropped a bollock on this.

4. We strike while the iron is hot, pushing forward the prisonbar guernsey we were denied a fortnight ago. AFL acquiesces given Gillon's whole shtick is about reconnecting with the supporter.

5. Everybody's happy. Richmond wear their garb - but will be absolutely told to produce a genuine clash guernsey in future seasons - we wear our prisonbar and the focus switches to the game.

The whole "BAWWWW VICTORIAN CONSPIRACY" button needn't be pressed. The AFL ****ed up, did the wrong thing by both clubs and a workable solution has been reached.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting an AFL conspiracy, I'm suggesting this has been led by PAFC.

Exactly, I was talking about this with my South/Power supporting mate today. I suggested us wearing the PB to him as soon as we heard about this and he was all for it. People -- as long as they aren't total write-offs -- can respect the fact that the Magpies are just as much a part of Port Adelaide as the Power.
Too true. I'm a South/Power supporter myself. I'm so proud of Port Adelaide's history that I claim it as my own as if I was a Maggies supporter. I'm so happy to see the Magpies doing well this season and I absolutely hate it when we are referred to as the Power. We are the Port Adelaide Football Club. I guess what I'm trying to say is, although I don't follow Port Adelaide in the SANFL, I am Port Adelaide through and through. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I mentioned earlier being a South supporter I absolutely LOVE seeing the Prison Bar's on the AFL stage. I just hate how it has happened.

Don't clubs have special guernseys made for the grand final each year? They only have a weeks notice for that.

My brother, who is coming over from Queensland for the game, is stoked to see the club we have always supported in the guernsey we grew up loving. He goes to every away game in Queensland against the Lions or Suns, making up to a 5 hour round trip to support us, including sitting through the monsoon 3 weeks ago.
And my dad, who is approaching 70 and will be attending a Port game for the first time in 7 years, since he developed Parkinsons and can no longer walk properly, is so proud to spend Father's Day at the footy with his two sons together, supporting the club that he ingrained into our souls as pre-teens in our traditional strip.
I could not be happier to take my 7yo daughter to the footy, explaining to her the importance of the finals and the history of the jumper. Three generations, joined by the prison bar guernsey.

SO, which PB design are we wearing??

The 1914 invincible or the modern day design?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back