Simple Sando Says

Remove this Banner Ad

Why. He's 30. He would just be another player who lived the premiership dream and now is chasing the dragon at a non contender because of the extra $$$. Seems a waste of time and salary cap to me. We shouldn't be targeting anyone aged over 27.
Its a major weakness on our list. We do not have a player capable of playing this role to any sort of AFL standard. It plugs a gap until we can develop or trade into a younger player.

I would understand the sentiment if he were a midfielder where we already have capable players missing out, but we do not have any drive from our backline apart from Smith.

I would also assume that selecting Malceski would see Reilly play out his career in the SANFL. Convinced yet?

Reading through the OP, I think Sando has a pretty good grip on the problems confronting him, the club, team and the list managers. What I didn't see there was any mention of solutions to the problems, many of which have been evident for a long time.

It's all very well to know what the problems are, but if you're not doing anything to fix them (and I haven't seen any indications that he is), then what's the use?
But why should Sando even bother to think about giving the media any info in the way of planned fixes. As soon as one of them goes pear-shaped the media here in SA would be all over it and will use it to ridicule the AFC for the next 5 years. **** em I say. Give them nothing. Rucci in particular.

But why should Sando even bother to think about giving the media any info in the way of planned fixes. As soon as one of them goes pear-shaped the media here in SA would be all over it and will use it to ridicule the AFC for the next 5 years. **** em I say. Give them nothing. Rucci in particular.

I'm more worried about the fans and supporters than the media.

I'd like to know that he has a plan to fix our obvious deficiencies, given a lot of them have been apparent for two seasons now.

Its a major weakness on our list. We do not have a player capable of playing this role to any sort of AFL standard. It plugs a gap until we can develop or trade into a younger player.

I would understand the sentiment if he were a midfielder where we already have capable players missing out, but we do not have any drive from our backline apart from Smith.

I would also assume that selecting Malceski would see Reilly play out his career in the SANFL. Convinced yet?
If it means we never see Reilly in AFC Guernsey again then I would even consider
Bringing Jason Torney out of retirement.

This was a terrible interview - he managed to blame ;
Players for being soft;
Players for lack of on field leadership;
Club for Tippett sanctions
Players for immaturity;
Loss of Bails;
Lack of coaching support for him; and
Demands the club places on him.

Pretty much every person involved with the club - except him.

He owned not a single aspect of this season.

Very poor
I disagree with your assertion here. I don't think it's the coaches place to say "I didn't do a very good job". It's a given that the buck stops with the head coach. The listeners know that, he knows that, the interviewers know that. Any failure of the club on and off the field swing the pendulum that ultimately will either save his job or lose it.

If I had heard him say that he didn't perform adequately, I would feel like that's the cop out, oddly enough. I just think his success or failure is obvious enough from the fact that we didn't make finals. It doesn't need to be said.

I disagree with your assertion here. I don't think it's the coaches place to say "I didn't do a very good job". It's a given that the buck stops with the head coach. The listeners know that, he knows that, the interviewers know that. Any failure of the club on and off the field swing the pendulum that ultimately will either save his job or lose it.

If I had heard him say that he didn't perform adequately, I would feel like that's the cop out, oddly enough. I just think his success or failure is obvious enough from the fact that we didn't make finals. It doesn't need to be said.
What I didn't like was him placing all the blame for this year at the feet of the players and the AFC. His only reference to coaching was that they would continue to teach the players, as though its the players not listening.

I think he could have talked about the coaching and where they might improve too.

The problem with the way he went about it was that he was express is saying the players didn't do a very good job and I think hanging them out like that is wrong. They are a group and he should have shared that responsibility.

What I didn't like was him placing all the blame for this year at the feet of the players and the AFC. His only reference to coaching was that they would continue to teach the players, as though its the players not listening.

I think he could have talked about the coaching and where they might improve too.

The problem with the way he went about it was that he was express is saying the players didn't do a very good job and I think hanging them out like that is wrong. They are a group and he should have shared that responsibility.

That's fair. He probably should have mentioned the coaching group. But I still think his own performance is implicit. He is, after all, the one explaining the situations and identifying problems after a 10th place finish.

And I can't help but think a lot of our players are largely responsible for their mental toughness, and if he'd given them a free pass there would be equal backlash here. It would suggest they're not accountable for their own actions. Sando already is by default.

You need to go and knock on the door of the club with this. Please.
Haha.... actually Im looking for work at the moment, maybe I should give them a call ;)

I think Vader's comment was accurate - Sando's not silly, but whether he has the knowledge, resources or will (and the confidence of the club) to solve the issues will become evident over the next 6 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a good laugh when he was talking about performing well towards the end of games where the scores were tight saying that it's important for our younger players to be exposed to those games so that they can learn from experience, he then gave a couple of names as examples of those players who'd benefit from this, those players being Luke Brown and Brodie Smith. Brodie Smith, as in the Brodie Smith, our Brodie Smith? He's probably one of our most composed players under pressure, just look at how he performed in the 2012 finals!:p

Haha.... actually Im looking for work at the moment, maybe I should give them a call ;)

I think Vader's comment was accurate - Sando's not silly, but whether he has the knowledge, resources or will (and the confidence of the club) to solve the issues will become evident over the next 6 months.
6 months wont be long enough.
What will we know then, not much!
There will be changes in the coaching ranks so they at least need 12 games to sort out the chaff.
Its resources he needs to enable more hands on time.

Listed to the full interview this morning.

At least he acknowledged that we are not feared, easy to beat and mentally fragile.

Yes, Id forgot about that admission, but the nuff nuffs changing the rules or interpretation of those rules has the comp gun shy. I think we attack the hard ball with gusto within the rules..no fear from the crows there; but teams know we will roll over.

The rest is about mongrel; and like I said, its got to be in you.
We need more Rory Sloan's... He's mentally strong, hard to beat and works both ways.

We need more Rory Sloan's... He's mentally strong, hard to beat and works both ways.
not convinced, the environment and culture of where you play is just as important as what's "in" each player.

Exhibit A: Danyle Pearce

Yes, Id forgot about that admission, but the nuff nuffs changing the rules or interpretation of those rules has the comp gun shy. I think we attack the hard ball with gusto within the rules..no fear from the crows there; but teams know we will roll over.

What I've always had an issue with is the players (most of them at least) don't seem to stick up for each other on the field. Opposition players will be getting in a Crows face, pushing then around, sometimes multiple players on one Crow player and our guys won't do anything about it. Outside of guys like Tex, the Crouch Bro's, Brodie Smith (BS is 50/50 though, he doesn't seem to look for trouble, but if you get in his face he won't have a bar of it) and Kerridge, the rest of the team seem very timid.

I remember that time that Gia hit Danger square in the chest with a late hit after the siren went off and Jacobs and Matt Crouch were the only ones who seemed to give a s**t and stick up for their teammate. That's half the reason I love that Tex is back because he goes out there and doesn't take s**t from anyone and will stick up for 21 other guys like his life depended on it.

My brain is struggling to comprehend this given our respective positions on the ladder...

Easy.

In a number of games this year Geelong lost 3 of 4 quarters but by margins of a few points. The other quarter they piled on the goals to win. Numerous times they only won 1 quarter but still won the game.

We however lose single quarters by 5+ goals, win the other three by small margins, and lose the game.

We were the third highest scoring side in the league this year.

We win a lot of quarters, then get blown away in 1 quarter to be able to lose the game.

I'm curious, is our issue skills, not fast enough, game plan or not working hard enough?

The stats say we are very good offensively, but poor defensively.

Our game is very high in contested possession, and seems to be all out attack with no backup if it's turned over.

We seem to kick to a contest a lot, win possession more often than not, but when it is turned over, cannot get it back.

If we could apply defensive pressure more of the time to force errors, and develop some more run and spread to deliver uncontested possession, we will go a long way.

We are 2nd in both goals and points scored.
Our tackling is 16TH in the comp.
Our pressure acts are average
Our disposals are average
We are 2nd in contested possession
We are 1st in contested marks
We are below average in uncontested.

Last edited:
Easy.

In a number of games this year Geelong lost 3 of 4 quarters but by margins of a few points. The other quarter they piled on the goals to win. Numerous times they only won 1 quarter but still won the game.

We however lose single quarters by 5+ goals, win the other three by small margins, and lose the game.
E.g the Essendon game. :(

We were the third highest scoring side in the league this year.

We win a lot of quarters, then get blown away in 1 quarter to be able to lose the game.

I'm curious, is our issue skills, not fast enough, game plan or not working hard enough?

The stats say we are very good offensively, but poor defensively.

Our game is very high in contested possession, and seems to be all out attack with no backup if it's turned over.

We seem to kick to a contest a lot, win possession more often than not, but when it is turned over, cannot get it back.

If we could apply defensive pressure more of the time to force errors, and develop some more run and spread to deliver uncontested possession, we will go a long way.

We are 2nd in both goals and points scored.
Our tackling is 16TH in the comp.
Our pressure acts are average
Our disposals are average
We are 2nd in contested possession
We are 1st in contested marks
We are below average in uncontested.

Just on the last point ...'.below average in uncontested'. This is good from the point of view of not overusing the ball, and although our offensive stats are good, it may indicate that otherwise we lack in run, linking, leading-up etc and rely heavily on the chance outcomes of so much delivery to 'contests' .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back