A Tassie Team...Why it can help the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I mention anything about a GWS Problem?

All I am saying is if I was in charge of the AFL I would have brought a Tasmanian team in first and then had neutral games at ANZ Stadium from the Vic clubs to promote the code.

If South Sydney and Parramatta played a series of exhibition matches at the MCG (ANZ) would you be more likely to support the NRL or if they brought in the Melbourne Storm?

The Swans would have had none of the Victorian clubs playing home games at Homebush, back in 2003 Eddie McGuire proposed that Collingwood play a number of games at ANZ (away) but he was basically s**t canned by all and sundry.

It would have been an extremely naïve way to grow the code...

If South Sydney and Parramatta played a series of exhibition matches at the MCG (ANZ) would you be more likely to support the NRL or if they brought in the Melbourne Storm?

The Swans would have had none of the Victorian clubs playing home games at Homebush, back in 2003 Eddie McGuire proposed that Collingwood play a number of games at ANZ (away) but he was basically s**t canned by all and sundry

I think you are missing the point, we are talking about Tasmania. And as such I would have brought a Tasmanian team in over a West Sydney team. The Tasmanians deserve a team of their own IMO.

You do realise that Tassie makes far more out of the Hawks than they put in, it's an excellent investment.

That said, terrible reasons, also, having a Tassie (not a relocated) team would end the Hawks and Roos in Tassie, the money and the interest would dry up.
Also, Tassie doesn't have a population centre capable of sustaining an AFL team, Hobart would be the obvious choice due to it being the capital, but it's remote to the North and North West, where much support comes from, It's a bit like Sydney (Hobart) V Melb (North/NW). Also, the best ground in Tasmania is in the North.
For AFL to survive in Tassie, Launceston would need to be the capital and major population centre, it's not and never will be, A Tasmanian AFL team will fail.

4 Games a year in L'ton and a couple in Hobart is about all Tassie can handle, the Hobart games have already jeapordised it's sustainability.

Not for much longer with the redevelopments at Bellerive oval, it will be a world class facility.

It also might be interesting playing there on a cold winters day with a Southerly blowing over the water straight from Antarctica, wind chill factor there can be pretty nasty.

Think the bolded bit would explain it wouldn't it? does it not get cold in Launceston?

Think the bolded bit would explain it wouldn't it? does it not get cold in Launceston?

It gets cold in Canberra too & they play up their with no cases of frost bite. At times Melbourne aint no tropical paradise either. Footy is a winter sport. The weather in Australia is relatively mild in general.
Despite the dribble you get from mainland commentators about Tasmanians being use to playing in the wet & mud, Hobart is a drier city than Melbourne anyway. They dont let the actual facts cloud their imaginations. So lets not get side tracked with silly non-issues.

I was once in favour, but now I think there's too many factors against.

- an absolute epic of travel for the WA and QLD based teams
- financial factors, the sustainability is very questionable, the Tasmanian economy isn't improving much
- divided state by north/south
- difficulty of drafting, and the 'go home' factor, even native Tasmanians are trying to get out
- climatic, imagine flying down from Brisbane at 18C to play during a Tasmanian '..cold winters day with a Southerly blowing over the water straight from Antarctica' at 8C minus wind chill.

Can't see it I'm afraid.

Not like Hobart. Hobart is colder in winter, but probably warmer in summer than Launceston. The wind coming of the antarctic (or off the mountain) is no joke either.

Doesn't mean you can't play though.

The numbers (membership, sponsorship, attendances, revenues etc) are far more relevant reasons for not having a team in Tassie.

P.S. New teams aren't allocated on the basis of 'deserves'. They are allocated on the basis of numbers (or on projected future numbers).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not like Hobart. Hobart is colder in winter, but probably warmer in summer than Launceston. The wind coming of the antarctic (or off the mountain) is no joke either.

Doesn't mean you can't play though.

The numbers (membership, sponsorship, attendances, revenues etc) are far more relevant reasons for not having a team in Tassie.

P.S. New teams aren't allocated on the basis of 'deserves'. They are allocated on the basis of numbers (or on projected future numbers).

Go & look at the Bureau of meteorology. You might learn some facts.

As opposed to the wet dark dingy valley of Launceston?
Not to mention the air pollution in that Launceston valley, I think I read somewhere that Launceston is one of the worst cities in Australia for wood smoke air pollution, driving into Launceston down the Southern outlet and barely being able to see the city through the disgusting smoke is a sight to behold, it just sits in the valley. I'm not advocating Launceston as the Tassie AFL site, it wouldn't work here.

Sure does, but the wind chill factor with a southerly blowing in Hobart is something else.

• r0_0_1600_900_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

I lived in Hobart for quite a few years thanks. Farking cold under the mountain. Defintely warmer in the North end of the state in winter.

Rubbish, yes it is cold if you lived in Fern Tree, but to say it's definitely warmer in the North of the state is just false, go look at the statistics.

That was bad, as was a game V Port 10+ ? years ago, but imagine that with an icy cold Southerly blowing in Hobart.

Lucky there is a big thumping grandstand at the southern end of Bellerive oval to block it then;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back