Nostradamus Lives Tom Boyd Wants Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what matters to you is not which team wins what there is to be won, when it is there to be won - but what team wins whatever something that is there to be won is called - interesting....

Poor logic my friend - a team can only win what there is to be won - and by definition all the best and worst talent was there - not somewhere else that didn''t exist...

and you can argue that GWS has only existed for a few years ...so it couldn't have won anything before it existed...don't be jealous - be proud! it i a lovely Club song and a great orange colour jumper.

I'm a library cataloguer. I like working out what something is, describing it, labeling it, and putting it in its place so you can find it later. The preservation of history and its correct description matters.

I'm not jealous of your history. It's a proud club with an honourable one. It has competed in whatever competitions it has competed in - won what was there to be won - some more highly valued than others (the pre-VFL VFA; the NAB Cup and its predecessors, inter league matches and tournaments, reserves etc.) That the VFL was the highest quality competition in the land is only marginally debatable and that counts for a lot. 15 premierships in your VFL era is a great part of your history. But they are VFL history. Your club spans more than just the VFL though, it's bigger than that. It was around before the VFL and it was around after.

History makes and remakes itself all the time and it remains an indisputable fact that in 1990 you stopped playing in the VFLand started playing in the AFL. It's a title change, it's a significant milestone, it's been marked in the books. It has been labelled and put in its place (however venerated that place may be)

At it is also a fact that in the AFL you have won one premiership, and that's just one more than us. We haven't been at it for very long, you will always have 150 years of history on us and you will still have all those cups in the cupboard. I'm just looking to put some new cups in mine. Our history will get written - just takes time.

You'll wait 8 years?

Just because someone is out of contract they can't walk... Before FA need to be traded. This point seems to be lost on a lot of people in the last few years since FA came in. It's almost as though people think moving clubs can be for free if its after a contract ends. Need to give up player(s) and picks for a high drafter.

Plan on tanking next year?

PSD and he wont be at Carlton. Unless you guys come last

He'll walk to the PSD? So he wants to have the dubious honour of becoming the first player to be taken number one in two different drafts? Somehow I doubt it.

Could be a strategy - every two years he walks to the PSD until Carlton can tank to get him (or his reputation is so damaged that nobody else wants him)

can't see that happening either though.

Pretty naive fellas. Players generally get to the club of their choice.

Clubs will take reasonable consideration from the player's nominated club and exercise a duty of care toward that player. Every so often they get pillaged, (Docherty, Polec from Brisvegas last year), but this is the exception.

How many players can you name that were forced into the PSD? Only 2 high profile cases in the last decade and not for 5 years.

If Boyd wants to come to Carlton at the end of next year he'll get there.

He's a tiger. Always was.

He considered himself a carlton employee.

I thought this was common knowledge? Been talked about for many years.

Anyway...

Footy is an interesting game and profession for young adults these days. In most industries, if you're a worker in demand you can choose where you want to live. If you're a top surgeon, politician, lawyer, accountant, teacher etc, you can decide on your home base first, then work around your employment situation. In footy, young kids are told who their first employer is going to be and where they're going to live. Even down the track there are situations where both the player and footy club (employee and employer) want it to happen, but other factors prevail. Obviously this is part of the system they all sign up for, and rules are in place to help towards the "fairness" of the competition.

I'd say in most cases if a player desperately wants to move to a new "employer" the outcome can usually work out. But there's always a number of factors (clubs agreeing to trades, contracts in place, player managers getting involved, fan backlash etc) that can affect the outcome of where a player ends up that don't occur in the rest of society.

I'd still say he'd get to where he wants to go though.

Pretty naive fellas. Players generally get to the club of their choice.

Clubs will take reasonable consideration from the player's nominated club and exercise a duty of care toward that player. Every so often they get pillaged, (Docherty, Polec from Brisvegas last year), but this is the exception.

How many players can you name that were forced into the PSD? Only 2 high profile cases in the last decade and not for 5 years.

If Boyd wants to come to Carlton at the end of next year he'll get there.
If Boyd goes into PSD and I was St Kilda I'd take him. They will have more than enough salary cap room to match any deal Carlton wants, get the type of player they need, screw over Carlton and they can on trade him 12 months later if he still wants to get there. For St Kilda it is worth the punt of a PSD pick to take him even if it doesn't work out. Most of PSD picks don't turn out to much (Tom Rockliff exception to rule), so punting on a player wanting to come home is fine.

If Boyd goes into PSD and I was St Kilda I'd take him. They will have more than enough salary cap room to match any deal Carlton wants, get the type of player they need, screw over Carlton and they can on trade him 12 months later if he still wants to get there. For St Kilda it is worth the punt of a PSD pick to take him even if it doesn't work out. Most of PSD picks don't turn out to much (Tom Rockliff exception to rule), so punting on a player wanting to come home is fine.

PSD is irrelevant as he won't be forced into it. Boyd decides where he wants to go at the end of his contract.

PSD is irrelevant as he won't be forced into it. Boyd decides where he wants to go at the end of his contract.
How is PSD irrelevant? Boyd will not be a restricted free agent at the end of next season so if he wants to move and Carlton won't trade he goes through the draft. If he doesn't want to go through the draft again then GWS need to agree to a trade or he is to sit out of footy for a year.

How is PSD irrelevant? Boyd will not be a restricted free agent at the end of next season so if he wants to move and Carlton won't trade he goes through the draft. If he doesn't want to go through the draft again then GWS need to agree to a trade or he is to sit out of footy for a year.

He won't get to the draft. If he expresses a desire to get to a particular club he will almost certainly get there. If not he will stay with the giants.

He won't get to the draft. If he expresses a desire to get to a particular club he will almost certainly get there. If not he will stay with the giants.
Trying to guess what some player will want to do in 12 months time is pure speculation with no facts behind it. In 2015 Carlton could implode and he decides he doesn't want that environment, something could click at GWS and he stays (especially if it involves a woman from Sydney), another club could make a better offer or even still Carlton could find a solution to their forward line woes and the need to spend that amount on getting him is no longer required.

Trying to guess what some player will want to do in 12 months time is pure speculation with no facts behind it. In 2015 Carlton could implode and he decides he doesn't want that environment, something could click at GWS and he stays (especially if it involves a woman from Sydney), another club could make a better offer or even still Carlton could find a solution to their forward line woes and the need to spend that amount on getting him is no longer required.

I guess you don't bother to read do you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you don't bother to read do you?
I've read, but what I am saying is that 12 months is a long time for a young man. He hasn't agreed to anything with Carlton and nor can he, so whilst you might hold out hope there is no guarantee he will be thinking the same way this time next season.

I've read, but what I am saying is that 12 months is a long time for a young man. He hasn't agreed to anything with Carlton and nor can he, so whilst you might hold out hope there is no guarantee he will be thinking the same way this time next season.

I'm not saying he will be at Carlton next year, 2016 or any year. I AM saying that if he decides he wants to paly at Carlton, Brisbane, Western Bulldogs, (basically whomever), he will either get there through a trade or stay at the Giants. It is incredibly rare that someone goes through the PSD.

I can think of only 2 examples of players forced into the PSD in the last 15 years.
- Luke Ball who eventually got to his club of choice
- Nick Stevens who did not.

Generally clubs deal with the player's nominated destination and exercise appropriate duty of care. Somrtimes they get ****ed over but it is reasonably rare, sometimes the players preferred destination is unable to get the deal done, (sometimes beacuse they are campaigners to deal with... read Eseendon - Caddy a couple of years ago).

Essentially, players coming out of contract have a lot of say in terms of where they end up. PSD because a trade can't get done is rare. It gets done or they stay is generally the outcome. I reasonably expect this to be the case with Boyd.

I'm not saying he will be at Carlton next year, 2016 or any year. I AM saying that if he decides he wants to paly at Carlton, Brisbane, Western Bulldogs, (basically whomever), he will either get there through a trade or stay at the Giants. It is incredibly rare that someone goes through the PSD.

I can think of only 2 examples of players forced into the PSD in the last 15 years.
- Luke Ball who eventually got to his club of choice
- Nick Stevens who did not.

Generally clubs deal with the player's nominated destination and exercise appropriate duty of care. Somrtimes they get ****** over but it is reasonably rare, sometimes the players preferred destination is unable to get the deal done, (sometimes beacuse they are campaigners to deal with... read Eseendon - Caddy a couple of years ago).

Essentially, players coming out of contract have a lot of say in terms of where they end up. PSD because a trade can't get done is rare. It gets done or they stay is generally the outcome. I reasonably expect this to be the case with Boyd.
Both St Kilda and Port if they had their time again would've done a deal and got something rather than nothing for those players. This is why come teh end of the trade period Beams will be in a Lions jumper and Ryder will be at Port

Both St Kilda and Port if they had their time again would've done a deal and got something rather than nothing for those players. This is why come teh end of the trade period Beams will be in a Lions jumper and Ryder will be at Port

so we are essentially saying the same thing? If Boyd decides to leave GWS at the end of next year he will be traded to the team of his choice for a reasonable deal, he will not nominate for the draft because he won't need to.

Of course he may decide to stay at GWS, but if decides to go GWS have very little hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back