Brenton Sanderson sacked , Who will be the new Adelaide coach ?

Remove this Banner Ad

He owns or part-owns about six pubs, two hotels, two businesses, a few horses, has his hand in numerous real estate developments and is a board member of an AFL club.

He's pretty sharp.
Several of those things indicate people who often AREN'T smart! The others probably low risk investments after making a fair amount of coin play footy for 15 years!

I don't think he's an idiot. But he's making a very swift and seemingly unilateral decision to remove Sando after being on the board for a short period. Then will be the key man in selecting the next coach. He has outstanding footy knowledge I'm sure but is very inexperienced in footy administration. I'm sure everyone would feel more comfortable had he been on the board for a year or two longer before making these moves, same with the CEO. I guess sometimes you have to be ambitious just hope it's not reckless.

Several of those things indicate people who often AREN'T smart! The others probably low risk investments after making a fair amount of coin play footy for 15 years!

I don't think he's an idiot. But he's making a very swift and seemingly unilateral decision to remove Sando after being on the board for a short period. Then will be the key man in selecting the next coach. He has outstanding footy knowledge I'm sure but is very inexperienced in footy administration. I'm sure everyone would feel more comfortable had he been on the board for a year or two longer before making these moves, same with the CEO. I guess sometimes you have to be ambitious just hope it's not reckless.
The majority of Crows supporters are happy with what Roo is doing, that is what is important. What outsiders think is irrelevant.

The majority of Crows supporters are happy with what Roo is doing, that is what is important. What outsiders think is irrelevant.
The majority of bomber supporters were pretty happy with James Hird as coach.

I don't hate that Roo is giving it a go. Let's just not pretend he's Jason Dunstall or Brian Cook though.

The majority of bomber supporters were pretty happy with James Hird as coach.

I don't hate that Roo is giving it a go. Let's just not pretend he's Jason Dunstall or Brian Cook though.
How do you know he is not? He has been there 5 minutes and has made more good decisions than the rest of the board have made in 5 years.

How do you know he is not? He has been there 5 minutes and has made more good decisions than the rest of the board have made in 5 years.
So you didnt rate Sanderson?
How come, I thought he went above and beyond to get you top 4 in his first yr.
Tex went down, You lost draft picks, lost Tippett. Surely a lull was expected?

read back through this thread, my opinion has been clearly stated.

Not at all, the point was made when they hired Sanderson that he would need an experienced senior assistant to help him learn the ropes. When this fell apart due to suspension and illness he was left high and dry. It also seems inconceivable to me that when it became clear that Bailey wasn't going to be able to coach again that management didn't look for someone else to replace him.

Lack of football department spending has been a huge issue at the Crows for years now. Alarm bells started ringing when Sando got to the club and held on to 90% of Neil Craig's assistant coaches.

Also our list manager David Noble has about 6 different jobs at the club. :rolleyes:

I did after that first season, right now, i don't. As a coach he's regressed massively.

Even though your upper management clearly has cultural issues? The way the guy talks he belongs in a biker gang not a prestigious AFL club.

Right now, i'd rather take Roo who sounds like he belongs in a biker gang then someone like Trigg...

But on Sando, what did he get right this season:

Communication: Rumors throughout the season that his communication skills with players was appalling, and was highlighted he got sacked. By the sounds of it, he played favorites as well.
Game Day Strategies: We had no plan B... for the whole season.
Mind Games with opposition coaches: I'll give him a tick for this seeing he made Grigg a sub 5 weeks straight, i.e our best kick... he's a thinker.
Pre-season: Evidently we failed at that, seeing we lost the first 3 games by 10 goals (That's when Sando lost me)
Inconsistency: We were slightly less bi-polar then the Roos, and apart of this has to fall on Sando.
Game plan: This hallmarks such great strategies as "Use Betts as a marking forward" "I said right with your kickouts, RIGHT" etc
Media: Lets not go there, absolutely hopeless, always quoting stats, always making excuses...

To be fair on Sando, he's coached some of the most enjoyable wins i have watched with the Crows, but he is a mediocre senior coach and come the end of the day and we've made the right decision to cut him now, regardless if we've had a replacement lined up already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- 2 years of regression after a prelim
- Missing finals with 5 elite structural players - Walker, Talia, Sloane, Dangerfield, Jacobs
- No consistent game plan
- Stagnated development of the non top line talents - Lynch, Grigg, Kerridge, Lyons, Mackay, Otten, Shaw
- Adding Betts and Pods both who had great years and the team stayed stagnant
- Failure to prepare a replacement to Ben Rutten
- Failure to lure Bryce Gibbs (Possibly?)

FB: Brown Talia Jaensch
HB: Henderson Otten Smith
C: Mackay Thompson Van Berlo
HF: Lynch Walker Douglas
FF: Betts Jenkins C. Cameron
Foll: Jacobs Slaone Dangerfield
Int: Crouch Martin Kerridge Lyons
Emer: Pods, Wright, Reilly

Undoubtedly this is a top 8 team. It's got ball winning mids who can use the ball as well. Pace and run from half back with long kicking attacking flankers. Half forwards who can draw the ball. Deep forwards who can kick goals. A rock down back. One of the top few ruckmen who provides around the ground help and carries the full load. It's experienced without being old. The elite players have just entered into their prime years.

Now that doesn't tell the full story at all. Lack of depth. Injuries to key players. Too many players who have great upside but play a lot of mediocre games. Inability to consistently perform under pressure which personally I think is an inherent trait rather than something that can be coached in a lot of players. The effect of the Tippett fiasco on the club psyche. The regretful (but correct) decision when trading away a heart and soul guy like Bernie Vince when Tex is injured and the captain in Van Berlo is out for the year.

It's why in the lack of any Ross Lyon's lined up I think personally I would've given Sando the 'prove it' year and he might have done a Brad Scott and done just that. But in a performance sport can you really say there were no solid reasons?
Excellent post and exactly what a lot of us crows fans on big footy feel, except for the inherent trait bit hopefully!

Why was he re-signed in December last year with a year still to run on his contract if there were significant issues which were enough to have him fired dating back to 24 months ago?

It doesn't make sense.
This is old news and has nothing to do with his being sacked. For what it's worth we're all mystified and we're waiting for our board members to stand down. You won't hear much protest from crows fans if you deigned to call our board incompetent.

Yes actually, any idiot is capable of achieving under 20mil with their 95% LMI borrowing capacity thanks to John Howards 50% 1999 cgt exemptions.
Then I assume you're a multi-millionaire as well. Surprising you'd spend so much time on bigfooty. Your comments about Ricciuto are borderline hysterical, by the way. Might want to tone it down a bit. It's far too obvious that you're just trying to get a rise out of people.

Excellent post and exactly what a lot of us crows fans on big footy feel, except for the inherent trait bit hopefully!
Agreed with the post too. Unless they get a Ross Lyon, proven premiership coach. It will be a bad call. Simply exchanging Sando for a new untried coach is dumb.

Sadly I believe the media reports of a "don't sack him we walk" thing, along with a new CEO who wants to make big calls. I did not like Chapmans interview on 5AA one bit.

Agreed with the post too. Unless they get a Ross Lyon, proven premiership coach. It will be a bad call. Simply exchanging Sando for a new untried coach is dumb.

Making absolute statements such as these is dumb.

I don't give a s**t who we appoint - whether it be a rookie coach or premiership coach as long as they are the best man for the job and take us to a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back