Johncock Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour going around that the Stiffmeister is going to suit for an amateur league club

He'll be able to smoke some ciggies, drink some beers, have some fun playing footy again... and oh yeah kick 10 goals every game.

Sad day for the club.

He was the best small defender in the comp in his prime and was one of our very best players during the 2007-2010 period. Very unlucky not to have been AA.

I wonder if he damaged his hip pretty badly in his 199th game (vs Essendon, Craig's second last game in charge) as he never moved well again after that.

Graham Johncock. Stiffy, to the public, and rightly so.

Where to begin? Well, for one, he was a gun of a defender, obviously. He could run down anyone on his day. Secondly, he was ever so versatile, as shown by his stints up forward, even leading our goalkicking in '03.

He was a great team man, and was a great supporter of the Aboriginal young blood that came through our system - Petrenko, CEY and the like.

Played 16 finals, but not one of them was a grand. Not his fault that we didn't, though, shown by his heroic goal in the last 10 minutes of last year's prelim, all of which gave us... well, stiffys.

Easily a top 10 player in the history of the AFC, along with Macca, Truck and Roo.

Best of luck in your future years Graham, you will be sorely missed.

Stiffy should have been an All Australian back pocket. For some reason he couldn't put together one consistent year. But we could use his tackling, clean hands and pace out of defence right now.

IMO he is the prototype small forward AND defender and there aren't many players in the history of the AFL you can say that about.

stiffy was a gun, at his best played very good defense in a stingy backline and ran off up the ground really well. thats how i saw him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the great memories Johncock, you were a star and at one stage you were easily the best small defender in the entire competition. The fact that you were never recognised with an AA guernsey is a disgrace.

I think this leaves Reilly as our longest-serving Crows player.
By a couple of months. Both Reilly & Rutten were drafted in 2001, but Reilly was selected first, in the National Draft. Rutten had to wait a couple of months, being drafted in the Rookie Draft.

Farewell Graham and thanks for the many, many memories. For so long you were a stalwart in our defence, providing run & creativity as you helped turn defence into attack. You've had a long and successful career, unfortunately never being honoured with the AA selection you deserved.

Thank you and farewell. Hopefully the club sees fit to give you a proper farewell, with a lap of honour at a home game towards the end of the season.

He's rolling around for the Peckers at the Lincoln A Grade final today. I'm sitting next to Cam E.Y and Betts watching him. Will upload a photo of him later.

I miss Stiffy. :(

What kind of shape is he in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back