Is it really about the players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless they take an NRL style deal - in which evidence won't be challenged/tested.

Yes, it might still happen, although I bloody hope not. As a taxpayer, I'm quite inclined to see the evidence ASADA has spent my dollars collecting - in no way do I want it swept under the rug.

And ASADA burnt themselves with the handling of the NRL thing - it didn't enhance their reputation at all. For their own sake, they should be going to the ADRVP and testing their evidence. If they lose, so be it. If they win, and it means the players get hit with a much bigger banhammer than would have been the case via deal, so be that too. Either way, show us a process that can be examined without cynicism.

12 month suspension would hurt massively for all players, and would be a massive loss to Essendon.

If the bombers do not give in now, then surely the players must get at least 12 month suspension which would be a massive pity.
I would imagine a few players like Monfries, Crameri, Ryder etc would be considering their options e.g. except the 6th penalty now, miss the 1st 5-10 games next year but nothing else.
I cant see suspensions being less than 12 months now. The players got into bed with the bombers fighting the whole process by accepting club funded legal advice.
It will be sad if the players end up being punished and the coach gets a million for a years holiday.

I think the following might happen:

Ryder will seek a deal with ASADA, and receive a cut suspension. Will tempt other Essendon players to do the same thing, so will get a similar deal.

The players that have 1 year left, will try and drag it out for another year, so they can complete their football season.

Personally I hope the players receive a ban, during the season (2-3 months would make me happy), however Ryder deserves 1-2 months during on season, for having the courage to stand up to Essendon and do the right thing.

Interesting times ahead

There has to be something more to the story. If Robbo is correct and EFC/Hird are going to appeal it's way bigger then Hirds ego, and potential player bans, especially in light of the punishments the Cronulla players received.
Cant help but think if an appeal goes through they are that scared of the truth coming out, that one of two things is a genuine concern for them.

1. The club is going to get sued into oblivion
2. Someone is facing Jail time.
The rabbit hole goes very deep. I reckon for this whole time something big has been lurking, just out of sight, but obvious to some people. My take is that this was an illegal experiment using human beings, to trial stuff that hasn't gone through clinical trails (AOD and TB4 mixed together anyone) for financial reasons. When you put the pieces together it makes sense.

The Wookie you've been closing a lot of threads because they aren't adding much or are being discussed elsewhere. I'd be interested to know what this is adding given similar sentiments are expressed in a multitude of threads across the HTB.

The OP grabbed a quote out of context and now it just seems like a lynch mob for no good reason. Probably another one to chuck the ol' padlock on eh?
Please, Lance.

Are you not deep down shitting yourself at the possibility? This could very well end in your club's destruction and jail time for some people. I would have to question the fact why Essendon would submit such a frivolous case to the court, when they possibly knew this already? They're desperate, which means they are hiding something. I think we will know a lot more about such a motivation on their decision whether to appeal or not. And if they do appeal this Lance, what do you say to that then? I know you disagree with them appealing, but what do you think it means if they are willing to go that far to stop this?

In launching the failed legal action, Hird wrote in section 42 of his affidavit: “I believe that if show-cause notices are issued to current or former Essendon players by ASADA, this would give rise to immeasurable and irremediable damage to my reputation, my earning capacity as an AFL coach and my business interests external to Essendon and the AFL.”

Reputation - it's already gone. There's no way known you can rebuild it after this sorry saga.

Earning capacity - oh please, you got paid $1m to go on a trip to France while your club tried to deal with your mess. Not to mention all your player payments, "business interests" etc. Like you haven't put enough money aside for 4 lifetimes now? And we are supposed to worry about your financial future?

Business interests - you will have to search far and wide to find anyone who wants to work with you again, James.

Last edited:
Reputation - it's already gone. There's no way known you can rebuild it after this sorry saga.

Earning capacity - oh please, you got paid $1m to go on a trip to France while your club tried to deal with your mess. Not to mention all your player payments, "business interests" etc. Like you haven't put enough money aside for 4 lifetimes now? And we are supposed to worry about your financial future?

Business interests - you will have to search far and wide to find anyone who wants to work with you again, James.
Ugh, why the green neon colour? Hard to read!

Sadly, I think this is true. The bombers and their fans have let the players down very badly, right from the start.

The fans? Give me a break mate. You are deliberately pushing for a reaction with that comment. That's childish and should be card worthy IMO.

The rabbit hole goes very deep. I reckon for this whole time something big has been lurking, just out of sight, but obvious to some people. My take is that this was an illegal experiment using human beings, to trial stuff that hasn't gone through clinical trails (AOD and TB4 mixed together anyone) for financial reasons. When you put the pieces together it makes sense.

I can make up stuff too.

If it was really about the players, they would have had a pen pushed in their hand by the club to take the six month bans back in June, and they'd all be looking forward to the preseason and getting back into footy.

Thrawn,

I dont think so, because if this happened then Calzada would have sold shares to Evans and Hird in a cap raising ... and that didnt happen.

Calzada certainly needed the money, and if the combo worked then AOD-9604 becomes a much more valuable drug.

I'm ignoring all the legalities, because they could have been worked through via various loopholes - Im just following the money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please, Lance.

Are you not deep down shitting yourself at the possibility? This could very well end in your club's destruction and jail time for some people. I would have to question the fact why Essendon would submit such a frivolous case to the court, when they possibly knew this already? They're desperate, which means they are hiding something. I think we will know a lot more about such a motivation on their decision whether to appeal or not. And if they do appeal this Lance, what do you say to that then? I know you disagree with them appealing, but what do you think it means if they are willing to go that far to stop this?
because the think they are flat track bullies.
Essendon: "lets throw a couple of barriers down, that will stop them"
ASADA: "did you feel that?"

I am truly mystified as to why and how the supporters can still support Little and particularly Hird in all of this......

I would want a complete cleanout of all people at the club who were involved and knew of this program happening.......and it starts with the coach.

The club itself must be bigger than all these individuals, and to survive and have respect again, they must go.

I would be livid if this was happening at my club and would want them all the hell out of the place.

The supporters should be jumping up and down making the biggest noise and demanding a cleanout.

..and the players should walk.

This deserves its own thread
if you're spending your time on here asking for threads to be shut down it says more about your own insecurities than anything else

on topic
The deal with the AFL last year was about the club sorting out its penalties - and Albert's "suspension" was also only to the benefit of the club. When they did that deal - it was never about the players. Hird/Little/etal's collective outrage this year that ASADA would dare to issue show cause notices to the players after their "deal" is just feigned for the players' benefit

The sooner that the players realise that their health and livelihood has been put at risk, the sooner they can take ownership of the handling of their rights and start to protect themselves from the cavalier employer.
I think that's why the AFLPA decided not to be party to the legal action. Create that arms length impression. If the case succeeded then they benefit. But if they lost they can say that they were just caught up in others agendas with no control over their short term destiny.

The fans? Give me a break mate. You are deliberately pushing for a reaction with that comment. That's childish and should be card worthy IMO.
Get over yourself.

A lot less glorification of Hird by your lot and a lot more stinging criticism by Essendon supporters instead, may have forced him to realise that his agenda is not necessarily in the players best interests.

The football world seem to be urging the players to make a deal with ASADA - is this really about the players? Or is it more a desire for the story to come to a close? Why shouldn't the players be given the right to prove their innocence without risking an additional penalty? If media commentators were really concerned with the best interests of the EFC playing group, they should be applying pressure to ensure this scenario can play out.

The desire for the story to come to a close and the players best interests are aligned in my opinion. They are facing ongoing speculation regarding the saga over the off-season, and who knows beyond that.

Ryder has his immediate future impacted as it is unknown whether he will actually be able to play for the next 2 years, yet is somehow trying to negotiate a contract at another club. He won't be the only player in this situation either in or out of contract.

The players must at least be concerned about who is going to be coaching them next season. I have no doubt some support Hird, but would be stunned if there were not at least a significant number who have misgivings about him fronting up for season 2015. Bomber Thompson has already indicated (and rightly so) that he will step down if players are given infractions.

I am not sure why you have any expectation of the media commentators to have the players interests at the front of their agenda. That has been and remains the clubs duty. The players have been given SC notices which is the perfect forum to prove their innocence, and is specifically what they are there for.

I doubt if any of the players would not be in favour of a fast end of the whole sorry business.

Hope they do......led by Tim Watson.

..or should be. Whats the chances though hey? Zero I would guess. Poor Tim is really conflicted isn't he?

Sits down at the altar to the number five before dinner

The players had their chance for a deal. They chose to ignore it and trust the club would get them off.
No deals now. If found to have taken anything, then it has to be 2 years off just like any other athlete, in any other sport, in any other country.

Last edited:
Hope they do......led by Tim Watson.

..or should be. Whats the chances though hey? Zero I would guess. Poor Tim is really conflicted isn't he?
I don't care who it is although coming out of Tim"s mouth would certainly have more weight behind it.Time for Tim to grow some balls i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back