Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure I heard already, but can we use our SACA Memberships for the SANFL Grand Final?

Yep, I found out now.
According to SACA Twitter, SACA Membership will get you GA access this week.

An unbelievable crowd last Sunday of 38,644 for the SANFL Grand Final - Norwood 12.10.82 def Port Magpies 11.12.78. The Redlegs won their third flag in a row (2012/2013/2014). This is the biggest SANFL crowd since 1999.

A brilliant way to end the biggest Football season ever at in South Australia. Record Breaking Crowds (only the 2nd time AFL crowds have passed 1 million spectators in SA), Adelaide Crows & Port Adelaide have Record Memberships, and have Record average attendances (Port 44,820, Adelaide 48,046 - lead the AFL for Home crowds).

I'll be at the Adelaide Oval on Fri 17th October to see Adelaide United play Melbourne Victory, where the Reds will definitely break their record attendance of 25,029. I'm sure they will get at least 35,000, and maybe closer to 45,000.

I can also see the Adelaide Strikers averaging 35-40,000 in Dec/Jan, I reckon we will get close to 45,000 for the New Years Eve game.

Does anyone else remember what the Adelaide Oval used to look like?? I remember sitting on the old concrete steps on the eastern side of the ground back when Adelaide used to host the traditional Australia Day Test Match. Wow have times changed! This image might be particularly interesting for all the interstate viewers out there. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411954006.651763.jpg

I think it was the early 1990's (1992-93) - as the works by the Victor Richardson Gates are when they were putting in the retractable lights, that never happened.

I think it was the early 1990's (1992-93) - as the works by the Victor Richardson Gates are when they were putting in the retractable lights, that never happened.

I'm thinking 1994-95 (State Bank became Bank SA in 1994, and the Bank SA logo is on top of what's now Westpac House).

There was also a temporary stand (before the twin temporary stands went up around 1997) being built over the 1995-96 summer in anticipation of the Rams playing in the Super League in 1996 (before the injunction that delayed the comp until 1997 saw the stand torn down before it was even used). The construction work could've been for that stand.

I'm thinking 1994-95 (State Bank became Bank SA in 1994, and the Bank SA logo is on top of what's now Westpac House).

There was also a temporary stand (before the twin temporary stands went up around 1997) being built over the 1995-96 summer in anticipation of the Rams playing in the Super League in 1996 (before the injunction that delayed the comp until 1997 saw the stand torn down before it was even used). The construction work could've been for that stand.
Mid 1996 I would say because I can see the foundation being built for the Light tower.

im going to go with mid 1996. you can see the 4 foundations for the light towers. the first day nighter was jan 1997.

ha well there you go.

the eastern stands brucetiki is talking about came out in 1997/98. i remember sitting in them for the test against the saffers in the blazing sun when it was about 38 diggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the eastern stands brucetiki is talking about came out in 1997/98. i remember sitting in them for the test against the saffers in the blazing sun when it was about 38 diggers.

They were the second set, which lasted until 2002 when they built the Chappell Stands for the Rugby World Cup. There was a very short-lived eastern stand built early 1996 for the Rams. When the courts blocked the Super League from playing in 1996, the stand went down.

They were the second set, which lasted until 2002 when they built the Chappell Stands for the Rugby World Cup. There was a very short-lived eastern stand built early 1996 for the Rams. When the courts blocked the Super League from playing in 1996, the stand went down.

righto. must have blinked and missed those! i know there was no eastern stand for the australia day tests in 96 or 97. that photo looks about march 1996 as the practice wickets and centre square are still well marked but footy has started.

The Adelaide Oval redevelopment has been the best thing for Adelaide...
However I have heard some people say it is the best stadium in the country...Just wondering if these people have been to the MCG

However I have heard some people say it is the best stadium in the country...Just wondering if these people have been to the MCG

No doubt that at it's absolute best the MCG during a prelim final or on Anzac Day is unbeatable but in my experience the Oval is more consistent in terms of generating that electric atmosphere. I'd say that Adelaide Oval with 45-50k generates as much atmosphere as the MCG with 80-90k, the difference being that Adelaide Oval draws that crowd every single week whereas the G may only fill out 4 or 5 times a year. When you couple that with the superior aesthetics of the stadium and the unique aspects of the Adelaide Oval, makes it the best stadium in the country in my opinion.

No doubt that at it's absolute best the MCG during a prelim final or on Anzac Day is unbeatable but in my experience the Oval is more consistent in terms of generating that electric atmosphere. I'd say that Adelaide Oval with 45-50k generates as much atmosphere as the MCG with 80-90k, the difference being that Adelaide Oval draws that crowd every single week whereas the G may only fill out 4 or 5 times a year. When you couple that with the superior aesthetics of the stadium and the unique aspects of the Adelaide Oval, makes it the best stadium in the country in my opinion.

yeah fair point mate...when u factor in that variable I agree with you

If you look at the stadiums themselves IMO MCG wins hands down

Still think AO needed to be 60k capacity

Yes - MCG is great, but as the above poster said, needs 70k plus fans to give it any atmosphere.

righto. must have blinked and missed those! i know there was no eastern stand for the australia day tests in 96 or 97. that photo looks about march 1996 as the practice wickets and centre square are still well marked but footy has started.

They were very much blink and you missed them. Think they started going up in late 1995 (from memory some of the televised Redbacks games at the time showed them under construction), but I'm sure they were gone by the Sheffield Shield final.

Does anyone else remember what the Adelaide Oval used to look like?? I remember sitting on the old concrete steps on the eastern side of the ground back when Adelaide used to host the traditional Australia Day Test Match. Wow have times changed! This image might be particularly interesting for all the interstate viewers out there. View attachment 83183
OMG what a shitbox, looks like a suburban Amateur league ground like Walkerville or Hectorville except with bigger stand. Luckily the SACA rigged the vote and common sense prevailed otherwise we would be stuck at West Lakes for another 50 years.

OMG what a shitbox, looks like a suburban Amateur league ground like Walkerville or Hectorville except with bigger stand. Luckily the SACA rigged the vote and common sense prevailed otherwise we would be stuck at West Lakes for another 50 years.
It was never a shitbox. Even back then it was called by many as the best ground in the world to watch cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back