Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

OMG what a shitbox, looks like a suburban Amateur league ground like Walkerville or Hectorville except with bigger stand. Luckily the SACA rigged the vote and common sense prevailed otherwise we would be stuck at West Lakes for another 50 years.
It looks beautiful; the quaint, classic, Australia-to-a-tee footy oval it should still be

It looks beautiful; the quaint, classic, Australia-to-a-tee footy oval it should still be
But thankfully is not anymore, otherwise it'd just be hosting Redbacks and SANFL games, and Adelaide would have less chance of hosting international Cricket than the WACA :)

But thankfully is not anymore, otherwise it'd just be hosting Redbacks and SANFL games, and Adelaide would have less chance of hosting international Cricket than the WACA :)
SANFL game.
Doubt it'd have more than ANZAC Day if it was still that.

SANFL game.
Doubt it'd have more than ANZAC Day if it was still that.
It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, given it's the same standard as other suburban grounds (more seating/shelter than most too).

It would've been up to the clubs to move games to Adelaide Oval. Sturt were the main club that did this, playing a couple of night games there.
I was thinking Sturt might do it due to their financial position.
Wouldn't be shocked if North did it for night football too.

Other than those 2 though? Cant see any club doing it.
The main appeal was night football and the only 2 other clubs that don't have the capabilities atm are Port and WWT. But the Eagles went to Thebby instead.

I wish the SANFL would use common sense and schedule eight night games at Adelaide Oval next season in the early part of the year.

Just open up the bottom bowl and depending on the opponent you will get between 7 and 10000 there. Give each team a home game and give them the gate takings and food/drink sales and surely the 8 real clubs will be happy.

The atmosphere for the finals was brilliant with between 8000 and 13000 there.

I wish the SANFL would use common sense and schedule eight night games at Adelaide Oval next season in the early part of the year.

Just open up the bottom bowl and depending on the opponent you will get between 7 and 10000 there. Give each team a home game and give them the gate takings and food/drink sales and surely the 8 real clubs will be happy.

The atmosphere for the finals was brilliant with between 8000 and 13000 there.

Have there been any public attempts at a break even number to open the facility?

Does the stadium management deal allow the combatants to any share of food/drink sales as suggested?

Great night at Adelaide Oval, as Adelaide United drew 1 - 1 with Melb Victory in front of an SA Record Soccer crowd of 33,126.

It was a good idea to keep the Top two decks of the Riverbank stand closed as the atmosphere around the rest of the stadium was brilliant as it was full.

Hopefully the Reds will play/move more games to the Oval in the future.

Even Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones was at the game! (The Stones are playing at Adelaide Oval next Saturday night in front of around 55,000 people)

I had so many people complaining on my FB/Twitter today
"What about all the money the government/Entertainment Centre group spent upgrading Hindmarsh, and it's not being used?"
"It's too far away from the sidelines, you're watching from a different postcode"
33,000 is almost double the capacity of Hindmarsh. That says it all. The con of having people a bit further away totally outweighed by the massive crowd able to attend.

That said, I'm not sure the Reds would be willing/able to play more games at AO.
They won't normally get that many people there. Realistically Hindmarsh is big enough for pretty much all other games bar a home GF.
There's also the issue of cricket pitches. I know they've previously played on the cricket block at AO but I know there were some players not really loving the idea of it, and now that they're removable I'd say that'd work in the "no playing football on a cricket pitch" argument.

Think you summed it up well hitthepost

The Victory game there every year should be sufficient. Unless you have a big marquee player, most United games only get about 8-10000, and Coopers is a better viewing ground for soccer.

I was a little surprised just how many flares and fire crackers made it into the ground, bit of lax security checks on the way in perhaps. To their credit, they did well to curtail the 50-odd Victory supporters that jumped the fence after the Victory goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you summed it up well hitthepost

The Victory game there every year should be sufficient. Unless you have a big marquee player, most United games only get about 8-10000, and Coopers is a better viewing ground for soccer.

I was a little surprised just how many flares and fire crackers made it into the ground, bit of lax security checks on the way in perhaps. To their credit, they did well to curtail the 50-odd Victory supporters that jumped the fence after the Victory goal.

There seemed to be only one table at each gate for checking people's bags, looked like there were plenty of people that were able to stroll right in without being checked.

Looked a bit disorganised really to get fans into the ground.

The positive from tonight won't be the $$$ but the potential new fans that will go to future games.
Agreed. I think the fact that they can get 30K+ plus to this first game of the season sets it up to get a few more to the rest of the games. It's dollars down the track more than right now. Plus more AO and Adelaide publicity.

One A-League game a year there is enough, pretty poor viewing from the bottom tier. Especially when we have probably the best stadium in the A-League (maybe AAMI Park as well), how often is it sold out? once a season max. Close to the action, can't go wrong. If David villa was playing in Adelaide for instance then maybe try and get that game to AO as well but no more.

What other games could they legitimately move there this season?

Sydney on November 7?
WSW on December 6?
Brisbane on December 12?
WSW on February 21?
Melbourne Victory on March 21?

Melbourne City is a no (April 25) due to SANFL (and the fact they wont have the Villa draw by then as he'll be in New York off his loan), but can any of those other games be worth moving it to Adelaide Oval?

those 5 games above are the only ones which could draw the interest I feel to justify it.

ps. I don't know why I asked it, I intended on answering the next part myself by checking cricket fixtures.

Cant do Sydney as they need to have a pitch ready for November 8 vs NSW..............And the 5th is an Australia T20 as well.
Could do the WSW (1st) and Brisbane games as they're in the period there's no Sheffield Shield as there's no game there at Adelaide Oval from the 19th of November to the 16th of February (Will check Big Bash schedule in a sec)................Ok, opening game is December 18. So we might be able to squeeze a game in there................Australia-India starts on the 12th of December so the Brisbane game is out now.
Can't do the 2nd WSW game as the real grass wouldn't have set after potentially taking out a dropin pitch on Feb 19th (or more realistically, Feb 20th)

And they cant commit to March 21 either (starting day of the Sheffield Shield final)

So in the end, the ONLY game that one could even consider it is December 6 vs Western Sydney Wanderers.

Could it be done with the drop-in pitches hitthepost ? Would 12 days be enough for the grass to set and not increase the injury chance to players?

It's really the only other game this season which might draw enough interest to move it there, while potentially being available for Adelaide Oval.

Once a drop in pitch is there is stays for the summer, it would make no commercial sense to rip it out and put it back in just for one game of football. Adelaide United have a contract (until the end of this season) that they can only move one regular season match with the FFA being fully responsible for finals fixtures. United need to find themselves in a position where they get four or five sell outs every season then push to increase Hindmarsh by 3 or 4 thousand. I know it is hard to do with buildings and roads to close by but it can be done if there is a big enough push for it (although then again this is the same city that preferred to keep a run down park than build a world class grandstand for the V8s and horse racing).

The big part of drop-ins is they'd be removing and replacing EIGHT pitches, not one. And they take like 8-10 hours each or something like that.
If there was a major event (say a soccer tournament where AO hosts 4 blockbusters) in February and a cricket-free window it might be worth it.
Given they replace the pitch trays with dirt and grass trays, the grass would be pretty good pretty quick.
The whole pitch would have super-short grass due to cricket, and there were already complaints the pitch is too fast because of the length of the grass. That said, there were a few games vs MVFC or SFC in the Christmas/New Year window, with just a week of excessive watering to soften the pitch block down as much as possible. But the players weren't massive fans of playing on a mid-season pitch block (not surprisingly).

The only times we can easily and logistically fit Football in is when there are no cricket pitches. In terms of A-League season this means a round 1 or 2 game before the cricket pitches are dropped, or a late game once they're out and the AFL season is started.
I wouldn't be against the A-League trying to book AO for a possible Grand Final so the AFL can't schedule a match on that day. Hell, let FFA book Etihad, AO, PS, ANZ for GF day. Would hate to see an AUFC-MVFC Grand Final at Hindmarsh when it'd get 45,000 or WSW v SFC in front of 23,000 at Parramatta because the NRL has Allianz and ANZ in use.

Just home from Adelaide and very impressed with Adelaide Oval.

Few down sides to the stadium is the management of the place. A lot of the bars and food outlets closed on lower tier in southern stand even though it was full.
Gates locked at full time between the two stands with staff saying they have to wait till instructed to open. Wasnt until Cops got them to open them before everyone could exit.
The views from the ground is no Different to a oval Docklands. However the rectangular Docklands makes all the difference.

The pitch however I think killed the game. Didn't suit both teams at all. Very very very fast surface. Was like a bowling green. The final pass from both teams on the break was always flying out of play.

With this record crowd means Victory will be first team to play in front of 3 consecutive 30k+ crowds with next weeks derby close to the 48k (reduced capacity due to seats in) sell out.

I think this being the first big event (not AUFC v Malaga) that wasn't cricket/aussie rules (eg third party also involved) there may have been some teething issues, eg opening outlets, gates, etc. Don't know who has control of what for these kinds of events.

As for the pitch. I'm surprised that, given the ground hasn't been used since the SANFL Grand Final almost a month ago, the grass wasn't longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back