List Mgmt. 2014 Free Agency, draft and trades news and discussion **Not the trade hypotheticals thread"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're at the point where we have a few younger blokes who are in the same boat, We both have Woodward/Hallahan on our list, both won JJ.Liston medals, I reckon Woodwards kicking is less wayward. We might as well ship one off while value is high and knowing both wont play together at hawthorn for another 2 years
His value can't be that high if we need to add pick 18 to a deal to gain a player that has not really shown a lot, apart from the obvious "pick 2" factor.

Pick 18 by itself is sufficient...

Anyone seen much of or heard anything about draft prospect Nakai Cockatoo? I know he was and AIS academey member who has been injured for the majority of the season but was best on ground in the curtain raiser to the GF on Saturday, it was the All Stars game which is from what I understand this years in take of All Australians vs the best players from division 2 in the U/18 carnival.

Apparently a very talented prospect who may be available reasonably late in this years draft due to the injuries and lack of exposure he has had?

If shoey goes he goes not fussed , he will never become a solid defender just lacks that physicallity what he is though is a skillful flanker or high half forward in a key defenders body , he needs to drop 5 kgs at least regain his mobility and be given the right to get his own ball and use his foot skills which are above average, if the hawks can get a late first for him would definitely have to consider that

I wouldn't hold your breath, I would have thought a 2nd or 3rd + list-clogger is more his value. Nothing against shoey but he has depriciated in value since being drafted.

I think theres a little more to covering the ground than gaining 30 possies in a VFL match ........How's his defensive running? He isn't even a blimp on the radar when compared to Lewis Sewell Woody, even Mitchell's running capacity etc.
If he lacks a defensive running side to his game then it's not something I've noticed in albeit limited viewing. I still maintain that gathering so many possessions so often is a sign that he has the ability to cover the ground. Maybe he doesn't currently run hard enough the other way, maybe if he did he'd drop 5-7 possesions a game. He's also had interrupted pre-seasons in previous years due to injury so perhaps after this next one he'll have developed the tank required to do it all.

Can see us losing Hallahan and Lowden for 3/5ths of stuff all and it coming back to bite us.......aka Josh Kennedy........but you can't win them all.

I am not fussed on the O'Rourke thing. I am sure he has ability, but injury concerns worry me. I would much rather take a punt at getting Weller in the draft and letting him develop at Box Hill for a year or so. We would likely need to upgrade our first pick to get Weller from what I sm seeing.

If he lacks a defensive running side to his game then it's not something I've noticed in albeit limited viewing. I still maintain that gathering so many possessions so often is a sign that he has the ability to cover the ground. Maybe he doesn't currently run hard enough the other way, maybe if he did he'd drop 5-7 possesions a game. He's also had interrupted pre-seasons in previous years due to injury so perhaps after this next one he'll have developed the tank required to do it all.

He would sure as hell hope so......next year is going to be his 5th year on our list.

Just to steer away from the Frawley and O'Rourke talk that has taken up about a dozen pages. If Lowden is moved on, that would leave us with BB, Hale and Ceglar. Some say Grimley isn't up to AFL standard and seems to play much more time in the forward line than the center square at Box Hill. Seeing we have had issues in the past with rucks falling down we surely would be looking for a bit of ruck depth in the rookie draft. Any of the names that have been delisted might find their way onto our list in the rookie draft? McKernan? Renouf? Monkey seems to be able to work his magic in this area for us.

I really don't want to lose Lowden and even the thought has popped into my head of trading Ceglar as he would have higher currency.

Thoughts on our ruck division?
Unless Clarkson sits down with Lowden and promises him games in 2015 he'd be silly to stick around and play 4th fiddle when he's got offers from other clubs which gives him much more security.

Grimley is not a ruckman. Hell, when Lowden was left to go it alone in the VFL GF we didn't even bother putting him in there to help out.

That rings alarm bells.

I don't think either will be at Hawthorn in 2015, and I'd guess we'll draft/trade in an obscur ruckman as a project player.

We need to keep all 4....Grimley has had his last chance & can't ruck anyhow. His last month at Box Hill might see another club take a punt on him!....Hale will finish up at the end of 2015, so we'll need to use/keep all 4....The benefit of rotating our rucks this year was amply demonstrated in keeping them all hungry & fresh for Finals....Young Harry Dear would be a good last pick/Rookie pick-up as a future developing tall forward/ruckman!

The hype around the board has really died down about him. But could we also throw Shem's name in there as a possibility to play some time in the Ruck?

With Dear do we even have to nominate him as a father son pick? If we think we can pick him up either with our last pick or rookie draft pick?

On Shem can someone give me some incite on him? Last I heard he was injuried and didn't play out the season. Every photo I see of him he seems down or disinterested or just doesn't take a good photo?

The hype around the board has really died down about him. But could we also throw Shem's name in there as a possibility to play some time in the Ruck?

With Dear do we even have to nominate him as a father son pick? If we think we can pick him up either with our last pick or rookie draft pick?

On Shem can someone give me some incite on him? Last I heard he was injuried and didn't play out the season. Every photo I see of him he seems down or disinterested or just doesn't take a good photo?
Shem is fine.

He's not a Ruckman though.

If Harry is taken it will be with a late pick.

Unless Clarkson sits down with Lowden and promises him games in 2015 he'd be silly to stick around and play 4th fiddle when he's got offers from other clubs which gives him much more security.

Grimley is not a ruckman. Hell, when Lowden was left to go it alone in the VFL GF we didn't even bother putting him in there to help out.

That rings alarm bells.

I don't think either will be at Hawthorn in 2015, and I'd guess we'll draft/trade in an obscur ruckman as a project player.

So that leaves us with three rucks. We can't go back to playing Roughead in the ruck. A young ruckman is not what we need, we need someone who has a few years in the system with a bigger body.

McKernan some will say is a dud. Renouf has had his chance and couldn't cut it. As of yet no cheap ruckman with upside.

The more I think about it I hope we can keep Lowden and hope he backs himself to beat Ceglar for Hales up and coming spot.

So that leaves us with three rucks. We can't go back to playing Roughead in the ruck. A young ruckman is not what we need, we need someone who has a few years in the system with a bigger body.

McKernan some will say is a dud. Renouf has had his chance and couldn't cut it. As of yet no cheap ruckman with upside.

The more I think about it I hope we can keep Lowden and hope he backs himself to beat Ceglar for Hales up and coming spot.
Roughead doesn't need to play Ruck.
We don't play anymore than 2 Ruckman. Not sure why you're so concerned about having a ready made Ruckman when they'll most likely be sitting at Box Hill behind Hale, Cegs and Big boy just as Lowden has done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone seen much of or heard anything about draft prospect Nakai Cockatoo? I know he was and AIS academey member who has been injured for the majority of the season but was best on ground in the curtain raiser to the GF on Saturday, it was the All Stars game which is from what I understand this years in take of All Australians vs the best players from division 2 in the U/18 carnival.

Apparently a very talented prospect who may be available reasonably late in this years draft due to the injuries and lack of exposure he has had?

Think he projects as a winger-type. Be lucky if he's there around our 2nd but if we're looking for that type of player (I wouldn't) then he'd be a good grab.

If we trade Lowden then agree we would need to draft another ruck through the National, Rookie or PSD. No to Renouf as he cannot kick to save himself but I'm sure there is a decent 4th ruck out there somewhere whom we could take.

Grimley stays if Lowden goes as he could play the second ruck / forward role (but would obviously need to improve his ruck work). If all else fails we will probably just play Hodge in the ruck.

There are plenty of rucks we can take that would look good on a rookie list. In fact it's probably needed, I think you always need a project ruck developing and once Hale leaves McEvoy, Celar and Lowden/Grimley wont be enough.

do we need to upgrade/delist rookies too?
Short answer is yes but someone else may have to fill in the details about our rookies. Our international rookies (Heatherly and Tatupa) are now official rookies, but I think they fall under Cat B - which is separate to salary cap and normal rookie list.

If that is the case, then we only have 4 Cat A rookies: Ross, Wanganeen, Willsmore, Webster.

The two golden rules are: must only retain 3 (out of max 6) rookies each year, and the max time a player can spend as a rookie is 3 years

Wanganeen, who was on our Senior list for ages, is actually only a first-year rookie, so we don't have to make up our mind there to promote or get rid of .

I think only Webster is in his second year as a rookie, so he can go again but at least one of them has to go. guess it is whomever the coaches see as most expendable. I don't think any should get upgraded though.

Roughead doesn't need to play Ruck.
We don't play anymore than 2 Ruckman. Not sure why you're so concerned about having a ready made Ruckman when they'll most likely be sitting at Box Hill behind Hale, Cegs and Big boy just as Lowden has done.
You told me a coupla weeks ago with Hale getting long in the tooth we were not flush with ruck options. Change of heart on Hale? (His finals series was pretty awesome so wouldn't blame you!)

The rookies are interesting. The two mature ones in Ross and Wang contributed five games. Perfect. They padded out the list and played a role. Them playing takes development opportunities away from the emerging players such as Boxer, Woody, Gus and Billy. These emerging guys will be screaming for games so I reckon we will move on Ross and Wang.

If Willsmore is prepared to stay a rookie great, if he wants a gig on an AFL list or gets offers then he gets promoted. He will end up on an AFL list sooner rather than later.

Webster had an injury riddled season. Showed great glimpses more than happy to let him go round again.

Heatherly is still developing. Can compete really well but decision making and general awareness needs a fair bit of work. He simply needs to play more games. Shem, who knows. Gotta get on the paddock.

Just heard on SEN that Freo have conceded on Frawley and that it's almost certain he'll be with us next year. Geelong hold hopes but it's a really strong word he's going to go with us.

Good news! Just interested to see what were gonna pay him.

Just totally disregarding the fact he had to learn how to walk again after his hip was shattered, eh?
I would have considered that prior to drafting him.

All and sundry touted Dowler as a top ten pick. None of the Go Dees high draft picks have been shock selections. Drafting kids is such an imprecise science. The number at which someone was drafted should not hold much currency when it comes to trading.

Just heard on SEN that Freo have conceded on Frawley and that it's almost certain he'll be with us next year. Geelong hold hopes but it's a really strong word he's going to go with us.

rumours dont mean anything, will only be happy when its official............

I think if we let him have his pic taken with the 2014 Premiership cup, that should about pay him.

A contact of mine who knows someone around the club said today to not worry about Hallahan. Had a fantastic VFL Grand Final, he's highly rated, he and Sam Mitchell head to head at training is something you gotta go watch.

afl.com.au/news/2014-10-01/the-washup-hawthorn

Sorry to intrude over here and this may have been raised in this thread already but don't have time to read through the whole thread (keeping up with our equivalent is an absolute nightmare as it is!)

It looks like you may well get Frawley. If so the godees are likely to get pick 3 as compensation. Now the question I have is why would Frawley warrant pick 3 when last year you got much less (from what I recall) for Buddy? Sore point mentioning Buddy I know but Buddy is about twice the player that Frawley is in my view. The compensation is supposed to be based on the size and the length of the contract offered to the FA. Based on that, to get pick 3 your club must be offering Frawley $20m over 15 years. Or have I missed something here?

BTW. Congratulations on another flag. Your boys were simply magnificent. Alarmingly for everyone else you will be very hard to beat next year as well.

BTW 2. I hope it hasn't escaped anyone here but two of the three best for the Swans - Buddy and Kennedy - are really your boys. Without them you would have beaten the Swans by 163 points.

A brief aside re Beau Dowler (& the vagaries of the draft): I can still remember him being spoken about in hushed tones two or three years before his 'cohort' became due. He was considered 'creme de la creme' as a youngster. I couldn't believe our luck when we got him ... I still can't (?).

A decent guy ... but what happened; one wonders about the impact of the accident ... sometimes it just ain't meant to be.

A brief aside re Beau Dowler (& the vagaries of the draft): I can still remember him being spoken about in hushed tones two or three years before his 'cohort' became due. He was considered 'creme de la creme' as a youngster. I couldn't believe our luck when we got him ... I still can't (?).

A decent guy ... but what happened; one wonders about the impact of the accident ... sometimes it just ain't meant to be.
Physically there was nothing preventing him from making it at afl level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back