Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

What would Aaron Young be worth?

2014 The year Ken said 'Get me more ruckmen!'

ken-hinkley-port-adelaide_1ajpowdd6odw512lvz06lb7jpu.jpg

2014 The year Ken said 'Get me more ruckmen!'

ken-hinkley-port-adelaide_1ajpowdd6odw512lvz06lb7jpu.jpg
2012: "I want defenders and lots of them" - Hombsch, Clurey, Heath, Stevenson
2013: "I feel the need for speed and run" - Polec, White, Impey, Amon, Bones-Jones
2014: "I want ruckmen now!" - ? Ryder ? Gorringe
Next year will be: "Get me more KPFs!" - Cameron and Day????

What would Aaron Young be worth?

It is kind of immaterial as we won't trade anyone, unless they want to go. He is also a very well respected member of the team and probably would have snuck into the best 22 had he not been carrying an injury at the end of the year. To me the club wouldn't be sympathetic to a 'I want to go for better opportunities' excuse because he will more than likely get them next year. If he did want to go, I Would have thought around pick 20-25. This is probably obscenely high to people who don't know him that well, but he is a ready made player with potentially another 200 games left in him, where as there are still a few misses each year in this range of the draft. I also don't think Port would get sucked into accepting a bit less for him (say 30-40) just because he is surplus to needs (which he is not anyway) unless it was some spud team like Melbourne who we don't see as a threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is kind of immaterial as we won't trade anyone, unless they want to go. He is also a very well respected member of the team and probably would have snuck into the best 22 had he not been carrying an injury at the end of the year. To me the club wouldn't be sympathetic to a 'I want to go for better opportunities' excuse because he will more than likely get them next year. If he did want to go, I Would have thought around pick 20-25. This is probably obscenely high to people who don't know him that well, but he is a ready made player with potentially another 200 games left in him, where as there are still a few misses each year in this range of the draft. I also don't think Port would get sucked into accepting a bit less for him (say 30-40) just because he is surplus to needs (which he is not anyway) unless it was some spud team like Melbourne who we don't see as a threat.

I'd easily give up that for Young.

young is going to be a very good player for us in the future , don't want him going anywhere another good preseason and he should be in our starting 22 next year ,

Stop with the Youngy talk.
Yeah he's not going anywhere but it's kinda flattering having other clubs supporters wanting to rebuild/strengthen their club with players like Young, Neade, Newton, Moore, Shaw, O'Shea & even the odd enquiry about Butcher.

It shows we've got some quality coming through in the depth department & it's only going to get better as Colquhoun, Clurey, Harvey, Impey, Amon & Gorringe* develop the list is in great shape.

Last edited:
Yeah he's not going anywhere but it's kinda flattering having other clubs supporters wanting to rebuild/strengthen their club with players like Young, Neade, Newton, Moore, Shaw, O'Shea & even the odd enquiry about Butcher.

It shows we've got some quality coming through in the depth department & it's only going to get better as Colquhoun, Clurey, Harvey, Impey, Amon & Gorringe* develop the list is in great shape.

But we lost a NAB Cup game to the crows. We have no depth ;)

But we lost a NAB Cup game to the crows. We have no depth ;)

I love it when I get reminded of that game, because I was there that day standing among throngs of smug Crows supporters who were so ignorant about our side that they had no idea they were basically playing our reserves that day. Their pronouncements about their forthcoming year vs. ours. Wow, would love to have seen those guys come Adelaide Oval's debut.

If Freo offered their first round pick for Mason Shaw would you take it?

It's just idle speculation, considering they couldn't get a big name free agent like Cloke or Frawley over the line despite huge offers and a bargain basement buy like Gumbleton crumbled in their hands.

Shaw is a better bet than say an Apeness who they used a first round pick on last year.

It's just idle speculation, considering they couldn't get a big name free agent like Cloke or Frawley over the line despite huge offers and a bargain basement buy like Gumbleton crumbled in their hands.

Shaw is a better bet than say an Apeness who they used a first round pick on last year.

Consider the offer, but another preseason after the first two. I believe Shaw is developing nicely into a player who can slot into the Port Adelaide forward line in coming seasons.

1st rd draft pick, it depends on our needs and how we would utilise it's value. Will we go to the draft or package it up in a trade for our recruiting targets.

ATM, keep shaw cause we know that we've already got a decent player in the wings.

I wouldn't do that trade, after a wasted 1st season on the tundra of southern Siberia kicking the icicles off frozen mammoth remains Shaw showed enough in his first season at Alberton to suggest he has plenty of upside to develop.

Shaw up forward in tandem with Mitch Harvey in the gorilla role could very well cover the club's needs in that area for 10 or more seasons, and with the probable trading for Ryder as a ruckman/forward and Gorringe as a tall utility, the key forward who may not be required is unfortunately Butch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back