2014 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

After training with the AIS in London he played his first match of AFL when they split the squad. He was named second best (fm) for his team. In his second game he played for Europe against the Academy and was named in the best again.

The kid has a very large amount of talent and I would take him in the top 20 on that basis alone.

As far as if we can pick him he would be a cat B rookie and we can have up to three of them. Cat B is also the category under which we have special access to Qld kids so we would be reduced in the academy kids we could have priority access to.

Can we sign a second category B rookie?

EDIT: Just remembered that we signed Colm Begley and Brendan Quigley in the same draft, so I assume yes.

Good point. Aren't we out of cat B spots?

We can sign extra Cat B rookies, and I think we've got at least one spot free with Michael's delisting. Conway wasn't Cat B. Hanley Jr probably won't count until 2016 IIRC, as I think he was only coming after a year?

Edit: ZOB is still Cat A, Conway and Hayes were Cat A. Archie, Bourke and Michael were Cat B. Michael's gone. Looks like Hanley Jr will be on our list next year, so he'd fill Michael's spot. If the plan is to upgrade Bourke we'll then have an extra Cat B slot available.

Last edited:
We can sign extra Cat B rookies, and I think we've got at least one spot free with Michael's delisting. Conway wasn't Cat B. Hanley Jr probably won't count until 2016 IIRC, as I think he was only coming after a year?
Let's hope brothers Hanley get in his ear then.

Just as a point of information, you can only have one Irish player on your Cat B rookie list at any one time (irrespective of what you do with your other Cat B slots). So if you want McKenna you'll have to put him on the main rookie list, similar to how Ciaran Sheehan was on Carlton's main list this year and Ciaran Byrne was their Cat B Irish rookie.

All moot anyway as he's coming to Collingwood :cool:

Just as a point of information, you can only have one Irish player on your Cat B rookie list at any one time (irrespective of what you do with your other Cat B slots). So if you want McKenna you'll have to put him on the main rookie list, similar to how Ciaran Sheehan was on Carlton's main list this year and Ciaran Byrne was their Cat B Irish rookie.

Well there you go... http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/rookie-players

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION
Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

Works out better for us anyway - we've got all our Cat A spots left but few Cat B (probably zero, maybe one).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All moot anyway as he's coming to Collingwood :cool:

Cheers SSK.

While you're here, would be interested in your thoughts on Cian Hanley (pre knee injury)?

Seems every Irish kid coming into the AFL has someone spruiking them as the best under age player in a generation and their county's next great hope, would be good to hear from someone like you with a more rounded view.

Cheers SSK.

While you're here, would be interested in your thoughts on Cian Hanley (pre knee injury)?

Seems every Irish kid coming into the AFL has someone spruiking them as the best under age player in a generation and their county's next great hope, would be good to hear from someone like you with a more rounded view.

Doesn't come with the same hype as Pearce but certainly worth a punt. He's a strong runner with quality skills but probably not the same pace or natural flair as his brother. He captained the Mayo U18 team this year so obviously has some leadership skills as well. He'd certainly be in the top bracket of underage talents in Ireland so it's not as if you're taking a flyer on him just because of who is brother is, he's a worthy investment in his own right.

I can see Conole in the gap under behind Wright's chin.

Pretty sure that's Graeme Hadley in the zip up Lions jacket.

I *think* that's Alisha Whitelock on the right. If so, very glad the club have a welfare officer there for these interviews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back