Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
I know he wasn't a Magpie but none that saw him play could ever have felt anything but respect for one of the greatest wingers ever to play the game. Small and light he was absolutely fearless on the footy field and his skills were outstanding. He played in an era of great wingmen (Grieg, Hawkins, Schimmelbush, Bourke, Trott, Alves, Dipper, Neagle, Barham) but Robbie Flower was easily the best of them all. To see him dance around defenders or bounce the ball as he dashed down the southern wing of the MCG was to witness footy greatness. He only got to play one finals series in his career but in his last year the Dees finally made the finals only to lose the PF to Hawthorn when Jimmy Stynes ran over Buckenara's mark and the Hawks won with a kick after the siren. Robbie kicked 5 goals as a small forward in the first final and was the Dees best player in their three finals that year. He was a regular in State of Origin footy (then the pinnacle of footy because all the best players from around the country played) and was a standout in any Big V team. I may have admitted before that as a boy Bobby Rose was my hero, but along the journey Kevin Murray, Bobby Skilton and Robby Flower were also football heroes (strange indeed for 'pies kid)
RIP Robbie Flower the finest wingman I've ever seen play the game.

Yeah just had a couple more memories of Robbie too. He played in an era before contact lenses and laser surgery so at times he wore these big coke bottle glasses with elastic round the back of his head. He and Geoff Blethyn from Essendon looked like a couple of nerds. And today's kids would be astounded that his playing weight was somewhere around 70kgs for his entire career (272 games) and yet he regularly backed into packs or flew straight over them, he was a great aerialist but he also tackled like a rabid dog. Think a nerdy looking Cyril Rioli and you have Robbie Flower skill wise.

Gone too soon.

Shattered to hear the news this morning. One of the true greats of our game. As an opposition supporter you just couldn't hate this bloke. He will always be remembered as one of, if not the greatest winger of all time.

My heartfelt condolences to his family, the supporters and the Melbourne Football Club.

Robbie Flower played at a time when I was too young to really make sense of who was playing what. I'd sit on my dad's lap and watch the game with him, but not really know what I was watching. In those formative days two players stood out - one was Peter Daicos, the other Robbie Flower. He played a big part in me loving this game.

Definitely one player who could have played the modern game. His ability to find space in congestion and work his way through was second to none. As a teenager, I wanted to play like Daics and Flower rolled into one. Needless, to say, I got nowhere near it.
RIP Robbie. Thanks for the football memories.

I have always liked players who just played the game without mouthing off they just played the game (think Presti) and Robert Flower always played liked that.

Heart felt condolence to his family and his friends at the Melbourne FC,59 is much too soon but he will remembered and admired by all who watch real players without all the Bullshit,god speed Robert.

Heard "Dipper" on the ABC this morning recounting Robbie's last game in the Prelim final. He said Robbie had been carving the Hawks that day and when dip saw the chance to tackle him he made it count. That was 95kgs of raging bull (Dipper) versus the butterfly (Robbie). Dipper said he knew straight away that he'd broken Robbie's shoulder but when he realised what he'd done and who he'd done it to he started shouting for the trainers and cursing himself for wrecking Robbie's chance of a grand final. Interviewed years after the game, Mike Sheahan tried to get Robbie to express his disappointment about the day and about Jimmy Styne's mistake that gave the Hawks the chance to win after the siren. Not only did Robbie fail to dob in Dipper, he also said he'd missed a sitter early in the game that would have won it for the dees and that Jimmy owed no-one at the club any guilt for what had happened. Absolute sportsman, absolute legend, blokes like him are a little bit thin on the ground at the moment. 307853-8fbb2c08-4a19-11e4-a7c2-a5760946ad80.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard "Dipper" on the ABC this morning recounting Robbie's last game in the Prelim final. He said Robbie had been carving the Hawks that day and when dip saw the chance to tackle him he made it count. That was 95kgs of raging bull (Dipper) versus the butterfly (Robbie). Dipper said he knew straight away that he'd broken Robbie's shoulder but when he realised what he'd done and who he'd done it to he started shouting for the trainers and cursing himself for wrecking Robbie's chance of a grand final. Interviewed years after the game, Mike Sheahan tried to get Robbie to express his disappointment about the day and about Jimmy Styne's mistake that gave the Hawks the chance to win after the siren. Not only did Robbie fail to dob in Dipper, he also said he'd missed a sitter early in the game that would have won it for the dees and that Jimmy owed no-one at the club any guilt for what had happened. Absolute sportsman, absolute legend, blokes like him are a little bit thin on the ground at the moment.View attachment 84209
Blokes like Flower are thin on the ground at any time unfortunately.

Nicely put Rob. Will always remember him as a graceful player with superb skills. Continual runner up in the Brownlow. One of the greats. Seemed a decent bloke as well. RIP.

RIP Robbie, my best mate ( now gone for many years ) idolized you as a Melbourne fan, and though you were the opposition when we went to the G I couldn't help but hold my breath whenever the ball was in your vicinity.

A true ornament to the game and one of natures true gentlemen.

Yeah it's interesting isn't it...with "free agency" and all that entails...I wonder what blokes like Robbie would have done? He spent 15 seasons at the dees and played in finals once. He played for Victoria 15 times though and was literally a top three in the league player for probably 12 of his 15 years. These days he would have been traded at least twice in those 15 seasons and people on websites would be calling him all sorts of names for leaving their club. One of the things he stood for was loyalty, so too Teddy Whitten, Bobby Skilton and Bulldog Murray. They all played for bottom teams but were legendary for their courage, persistence, leadership and loyalty. In 40 years time will people remember all these players leaving their clubs for greener pastures? Cos I bet they still remember Robbie Flower.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back