Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Hi guys, I know ya's dont generally run a seperate thread for each division, but I've taken on a joint coaching gig with a mate over at Yea FC and was trying to get my head around who's the main movers and shakers in Divvie 2.

Obviously its far too early to worry about much, but people in roles of responsibility don't get down time so "silly season" as we know it is well and truly underway.

Look forward to meeting you throughout the next 12 months or so

Chris (Doona) Nolan

Yea are up and about
Hi guys, I know ya's dont generally run a seperate thread for each division, but I've taken on a joint coaching gig with a mate over at Yea FC and was trying to get my head around who's the main movers and shakers in Divvie 2.

Obviously its far too early to worry about much, but people in roles of responsibility don't get down time so "silly season" as we know it is well and truly underway.

Look forward to meeting you throughout the next 12 months or so

Chris (Doona) Nolan

In short

Seville are a very good team...

There are a few just under that level, but the ladder indicates the top two were a class above.

Then the bottom few need a few good players, but could make the jump up with said players...

Div 2 seems to play out the same way most years, there is 2 good teams and then daylight. Seville has generally been one of them due to there depth (plenty of unders and 2 flags) and then its either been Yarra glen or one of the current divy 1 sides that have gone up.

Expect plenty of travel, plenty of mud and unless you pick up 10 blokes a flogging from the top 2 sides.

The big fella taking the reigns at the Brooker as a playing coach after a year away ? Causer on board as an assistant after a year at Montrose ? Not sure this makes them favourites but I'd suggest it get's them back in the mix for next year !

What's been the general consensus in regards to the review/discussion paper on the YVMDFL 3rds competition ???

It is not a real discussion paper as they did not put in the option of leaving the structure as it is. There is no evidence that the move to U.19's has worked for the EFL so until we know more it is hard to say that is the answer. The problem of clubs not being able to get U.18's and U.16's may be more about not having enough kids in the area (or many not playing at all) rather than having them move to EFL (etc) age groups. It needs more time and analysis and there is no way we should be changing for 2015 (IMO)

It is not a real discussion paper as they did not put in the option of leaving the structure as it is. There is no evidence that the move to U.19's has worked for the EFL so until we know more it is hard to say that is the answer. The problem of clubs not being able to get U.18's and U.16's may be more about not having enough kids in the area (or many not playing at all) rather than having them move to EFL (etc) age groups. It needs more time and analysis and there is no way we should be changing for 2015 (IMO)

Totally agree, I think that moving to under 19's is simply moving the problem a year later.

It would be an absolute disaster to stop at Under 17's - so many kids would go to the EFl or simply stop playing.

Needs more research to really identify why kids are not playing

100% agree with the above two posts, maybe the topic needs to be researched at length throughout the upcoming season before an educated decision could be made.

Also whilst on the topic of season 2015, when roughly do we see fixtures each off season? Trying to arrange our (Yea's) practice games around local cricket etc but obviously a starting date for Rd.1 would be handy to work back from.

Doona2. We never hear much about ins and outs from northern teams. Hows yea tracking

Tracking ok I guess. Had a bit of a change in the hierachy with Tommy not being able to fulfill his joint coaching role so Eddie Neilson has agreed to an assistant arrangement for the times I'm away. As per every off season from what I can gather there'll be a turnover in personel but been getting 25-35 a night which I think for out there they're happy with.

Any chance someone could post the teams in this division? Are Alexandra and Thornton in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who you all playing in practice games?

Yea are heading to Wallan on March 21 and have Kilmore coming over the following weekend.

Watched Yea and Powelltown last year and it seems the best players from both teams are leaving. That Wearne and Crowe from Yea were good and they are clearing out and all the fuss at the start of the pre season about Powelly is looking to be all talk as they have only recruited 2's players from Warby and lost pretty much their top 10.

Doona2 what happened to those boys?

Watched Yea and Powelltown last year and it seems the best players from both teams are leaving. That Wearne and Crowe from Yea were good and they are clearing out and all the fuss at the start of the pre season about Powelly is looking to be all talk as they have only recruited 2's players from Warby and lost pretty much their top 10.

Powelltown have offered ridiculous coin to all but a couple of Warburton players in what can only be seen as a act of desperation. Given that Warby has always been very charitable to Powelltown it would be fair to say relations between the two clubs have become strained. Checking the list of clearances though the only player of note is Newing who has played some decent football but had a poor year last season. The remainder are reserves footballers that sit at the bottom scale if you look at last season results on Sporting Pulse. These blokes are getting anywhere from 200+ which is well and truly overs.

Powelltown have made a habit of just throwing huge cash at their neighbor across the hill I wonder who they will support when they fold this time?

Jack Crowe from what I'm told has found employment through the Heidelberg FC which includes a game of footy so good on the lad. I say "from what I'm told" as I have tried many (many) times to make contact but failed to get a repsonse on behalf of the club. I've never thought of myself as unapproachable which is the hardest thing to cop, I wouldv'e loved the chance to chat, wish him well at a standard better than we can offer and assure him he's always welcome back if things don't turn out.

Wearney is returning home on a far better wicket than he left to go to Yea for. Good luck to him too I say, he's a 5 time B&F winner at home, twice now in Yea along with multiple team of the year and interleague selections - so why not get a long overdue slice of the pie and not have to travel for it.

Hi all, long time reader first time poster.
Could be true that powelly are offering warby 2's player overs but I doubt it judging by the number they threw at me.
I know for a fact a lot of the numbers posted on this page are often quadrupled, Chinese whispers at their best, or maybe players justifying leaving club A for club B. Even if they want out easy to tell mates at club A "it was an offer too good to refuse"
Also possible people at club A blaming club B for players leaving. Eg "we can't match $500 for our two's players, oh well. Let's advertise that we played an unregistered player last year and intend to fly him and his mates down for winnable games"

well powelly musn't rate you as a footballer if they didn't offer you much. Cause they are throwing large cash offers at other warby 2's players and that's a fact.

Iam unaware of the player warby "advertised" that they played unregistered. Who would that be??
Also who did they fly down with his mates to win "winnable games"??

Sounds like sour grapes to me........
i don't entirely understand where tiprat is coming from?.....Are u saying ur better off paying $500 to a seconds player at your club rather than getting a top-line recruit? Plz explain

I watched a few of warburton/millgrove games last year but didn't see a group of mates who were flown down...... I might of missed them though..... I could find out

Sounds like sour grapes to me........
i don't entirely understand where tiprat is coming from?.....Are u saying ur better off paying $500 to a seconds player at your club rather than getting a top-line recruit? Plz explain

I watched a few of warburton/millgrove games last year but didn't see a group of mates who were flown down...... I might of missed them though..... I could find out

Apparently Walky gets a jet across from Gladysdale.

Who cares which club pays who how much. Each club has a different approach and a different prerogative. Some clubs use junior clubs to get the up and comers, some attack 'the flat land' leagues for already established players, some solely base themselves on locals and others target 2's players. Who really cares? If people chase coin, good on them. It's a pointless post and a pointless argument that gets raised year in year out.

What the hell is happening at Powelltown. Mass exodus of last years players then they announce players signing only for them to leave now. Patty Sharp has pulled the pin and Al Calder has turned the place upside down and left. The coach wants out and already cant wait for the year to be over so he can go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back