S Edwards...no 18

Remove this Banner Ad

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey fellas, does anyone remember Stuart Edwards, used to wear no.18?
Whatever happened to him?
As a kid I remember seeing him in 1995 and thought he was gonna be a star.
Then I never saw him again. Did he do his knee or something?
And was he any good? I'm not sure if the memory is clouded...

Stu Edwards could have been a star. His best game was probably the one against Sydney when Richo did his knee. Edwards kicked 3 goals in the last quarter and got us over the line. Trouble was, he was an unreliable kick. He later played a game against the Dogs where he kicked 3.10.

We had Richo, Benny Gale (so we had two other 'Big Marks and Dodgy Kicks'), and probably a couple of other young talls coming through. Edwards obviously wanted more money, which would have meant we had a lot of salary cap tied up in 3 tall KPFs, so we cut him. In those days, when you put yourself into the National Draft as a former player you nominated your salary - Edwards nominated $50,000 (which was big money in those days - particular for a forward who wasn't a first choice). Nobody picked him up.

From what I can remember, he was a tough forward in the mold of Scott Turner. I think in his last season he shaved his head and really looked aggressive. Good player, but played injured. We had a few players that had short careers on the forward line - Brennan, McQueen, Jurica, Honeybun, Charles. Benny Gale settled that CHF type with Richo. But before that we tried a few players. Edwards could play. Career was too short.

These days he has a very senior position in the Education Department. He has done very well for himself in his post-football life.

With Stuart Wigney at CHB.
It's amazing that we got as far as we did in 95!
Stuart Wigney had a great year in 95 - he was one of the reasons we won 8 of our first 9 games. He was talked about as the SOO CHB (I forget which state - he might have been from SA). Unfortunately, he broke his leg in the same game Richo did his knee (vs Sydney). He made it back for the finals, but his leg was stuffed, and he only played a couple of games after that.

95 should have set us up for many years of regular finals. Unfortunately Mal Brown and his cronies on the Board fixed that...........................

Knew Stuey very well, along with Adam Slater they both came up through the Under 19s. Stuey had the height, was a good mark, and a fairly reliable kick. Problem was he lacked aggression, and was seen to be a bit of a pretty boy.

Ran into him 3 years ago at my place of work, had a catchup over lunch and at the time he was a school principal somewhere out in Ferntree Gully. Not sure if he's moved on since then.

Like a lot of players in the 90s, he was a good reserves/VFL level player, but wasn't quite up to AFL standard.

Lovely bloke.

Cheers fellas, sorry about the title and making you confused about Titch getting Rance's number haha. It was late, dunno why I chose to be ambiguous..
So it was knees hey. Geez 50,000- how the money has changed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back